Dometic Windows

Chris

Hi all.

Has anyone arranged to have the Dometic windows "fix" done? How hard is it? Do you have to take the windows out? Is it a tricky job? Any pitfalls to look out for?

Chris

We do not have the Dometic windows but I understand Dometic were to release a 'kit' in December 09 or January 10 to provide a spline to effectively stop the small bugs getting in.

I also understand that this is not under any warranty as such but simply a release of a kit to overcome the problem. I think the Kedron factory will do the job at a cost to you and my understanding is each window has to be taken out to install the 'kit'. That's all I know at this stage.

Ann,

Have phoned dometic about the kit, possibly around $250 for the strips that stick in the groove top and bottom of internal window frame. There is also a felt track to install each side that the screens slide in and should be easy enough to do by just unscrewing the screws that fix the internal frame to the window. You don't have to take the window out. Kedron reckon they can install them for about $250 making it a $500 fix (approx). If you have the time it shouldn't be too hard to do yourself. Dometic won't sell the kit to you, need to go through a dealer. I aquired just the strips to try for now but may have to fit the full kit if the little b-----s still get in.

Regards Bill

Col & Debbie,

The $250 suggested by dometic is for the kit to do all windows in the Top Ender. The kit consists of silver strips that fill the the small groove on the inside window frame. You cut them to size, peel off the backing and stick them in the groove. They look ok but I'm not too sure obout things that stick on, how long they will last, I guess time will tell. There is also a felt strip that goes inside the window frame to seal the screens. You need to pop out the little plugs that hide about a dozen screws that holds the inside frame to the wall. We have not done this yet, thought we would see if just the strips work first.

I think they are a bit pricey for what they are, but I guess they know we can't get them anywhere else.

Regards Bill.

Hi all.

I am posting an attachment which Dometic have provided to assist with the actual installation of the kit. Dometic have kits for sale and I would suggest if you want their kit you would need to contact Dometic directly. (I have checked, and Dometic are happy for me to post these instructions).

The instructions have beautifully clear photos and appear to be straightforward to implement...

Chris

Dometic_Window_upgrade_procedure.pdf

OK, windows are all well and truly dealt with now - it took Val about 5 hours to do them all - but that was because he dropped a screw in one of them and had to re-take it out.... But even so it takes a while.

I notice the windows are significantly stiffer now to pull the blinds up and down. I wonder if this is normal?

We plan to be travelling up to the NT in about 5 weeks time, spending a few months there and then coming back through QLD on our way home, so we can give the windows a good trial to see how effective they are at keeping bugs out.

Chris

post-112-1267945991_thumb.jpgSeveral years ago we had a significant problem with bugs getting in through the Dometic windows. Ashley referred us to Dometic who could not help, said they were not aware of the problem. So I plugged the slots with Sikaflex, see photo. Not the neatest job in the world but we have not had a problem since. Sometimes they become dirty but a wipe over with turps fixes that.

Robert & Jane Jones

Hi Robert and Jane.

Yes, we plugged ours up in the same manner within days of picking up the new van a year ago but the side edges of the windows allowed bugs through (quite badly). At the time Dometic did not publicly recognise the problem, I don't think.

Now of course, they have had to admit there is a problem and are addressing it with the "fix", which is largely caterpillar fur as far as I can see (which is from a distance, Val having done the actual work!! :biggrin: ) Anyway, I am guessing it will work.

Val has loosened the tension and now the blinds are moving up and down freely.

Chris

Hi all

We were at Dometic in early February in Brisbane in early Feb I bought the "fix" for our Topender with 9 windows total cost $76. It took a couple of hours to install which included servicing all the blinds and napi sanning the fly screens. We have since done alot of bush camping and would probably say it is 95% better though the little buggers do still get in.

To order the fix measure from outside the total dimension of you window architrave then call 07 32057599

If anybody knows how to get rid of the last 5% love to know how

See you on the road regards Adam and Lynda :thumbsup:

• 2 months later...

Just to update,

Purchased the fix last week, Dometic would not deal with me on that number and had to source through kedron. Same amount of windows and $120 through the guys.

Hope it solves the problem, $120 for a bit of adhesive fur !!

Will let you know once recieved and fitted.

Hi All

I purchased through Kedron for the same cost & fixed all the windows.(Dometic wouldn't deal with me either)

It was time consuming but not hard. You should have seen the dead beatles that fell out when I removed the windows- 1000's of them!

I haven't as yet put them to the 'tropical' test but it should be a great improvement.

Rick

Hey Everyone,

Fitted the kit on the weekend and everything was pretty easy. As afore mentioned, time consuming.

The chrome strips that cover the breather holes seem at though they would do 90% of the job. Can't wait to test it.

Half packed!

House Rented!

Extra vehicles sold!

5 WEEKS TO GO, can't wait until we leave! First stop, Birdsville.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I did the job on the windows after our first trip in our ATV 3 years ago. Quite simple. A tube of No More Gaps, one finger and a damp cloth to wipe any excess off. I did from memory the bottom slits first and let them set, them the top ones. Worked a treat, matched the white trim. No more bugs

Cheers, Bruce :thumbsup:

Hi All

The fix has been completed.

The crow was not inclined towards sikaflex (after I paid $28.00 for a tube, guess I can use it in the MGA restoration) so I purchased some chrome strip on eBay.

Cost

Bunning’s Fur $30.00

Chrome Strip $32.00

Total $62.00

I am not convinced the fur impedes the ingress of insects, but the crow assures me that they won’t cross fur. (Hey who am I to argue?) :confused1:

After pulling the windows out I believe blocking the breather holes is at least 95% of the answer

Cheers

Bryan :thumbsup: