Van and car weights.

Hermit

Hi all, we are considering purchasing a TopEnder, length approx 20'.

We will be carrying a tinnie on top of the 200s, a boat loader, bullbar, dual batteries and larger aux fuel tank.

I am concerned about the weight of the 200s with all this added, including towing the TopEnder (ball weight).

Does anyone have experience with the GVM upgrade on the 200s and also, does the towing capacity need to be increased, or, will the van, fully loaded with water (300kG), food, clothes etc be within the 3500kg towing capacity of the 200s.

I know that the weight will depend on what we load into the van, but what I am asking for is your experiences with loading and towing with a similar size vans and vehicles.

Before we order the 200s we want to have a good idea whether we need a GVM upgrade or not and if there is anything else we need to consider, weight wise.

Ball weight is a concern.

This topic probably has been done to death, but I was unable to find anything on this site regarding GVM upgrades.

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Rob

Townsville

Hi Hermit,

I have had a GVM upgrade to my 200, mainly to overcome insurance concerns with the weight of the vehicle loaded with boat loader, tinnie, longrange tank, bull bar, drawers etc, being over the standard GVM. I fitted a Dobinson Spring upgrade and at the same time had a GVM upgrade to increase GVM by 330kg. This cost me about $2.5k. The GVM upgrade does not change the ball weight limit of 350kg, so loading of the van is still very important.

If you search GVM on the 200s site on the Landcruisers On Line Forum, www.lcool.org, you will find a large amount of comment and information on this subject.

I hope this helps.

Hello Rob,

I can not give advice with toyota specs and what is and what is not acheivable.

We tow our van (21' 6" interior) it weighs in at 4.040 tonne with F-250 dual cab which carries a GCM of 9.070 tonnes.

Rob advice you need in the possibilities of upgrading GVM, GCM and tow weights contact Christian Arendt Automotive Engineer, 17 Gollogolly Lane, Condon 4815. Mobile 0400 699 656 Tel 07 4773 2051 as you can see by his adddress he is in your back yard.

Christian is a very helpfull fellow he has upgraded our road trains for us, he is also looking at our van at the present.

Best of luck, safe travels. :thumbsup:

Thanks Greg, that's fantastic, just what I needed. I will be contacting Christian to get the right info for my situation.

I see that I need to be mindfull of the GCM also.

Thanks to everyone else for your replies.

Regards

Rob