An interesting Days Travel

Chris

We are in wet and soggy Alice Springs after a longer than usual day's drive northwards.

Our first night from home we spent at a campground in Mt Remarkable NP, and lst night was just off the Stuart Highway north of Coober Pedy. We have done this trip so many times we could almost do it with eyes shut.

Then as we got closer to Alice Springs the rain got heavier. About 100 kms south of Alice we only just got through a crossing which was half a metre deep – and coming up quickly. Cars and vans and trucks were all lined up either side of the road but we knew we could easily do it, and sailed through with the van (no pun intended). Okie2 didn’t even get his inside mat wet! The looks on the faces of all the folk who had stopped at the water’s edge waiting, while we just drove straight down and into it without a pause, was priceless. There was a bus load of tourists standing around who took photos of us. It truly wasn’t a concern. We have been through deeper and more quick flowing. Once we got to the other side, the van was overheard to say "Shiver my simplicity suspension! That was a nice cool dip!".

I think the highway would now be closed though as the water was rising.

Chris and Val

Hi Chris

Just been looking at some pics on another site re the water around where you are and after travelling those rds 2 times last yr as you know Im quite amazed to see that much water.

Wouldnt I like to be up there in the next few months and see the transformation from last year to this year would blow you away.

But I'm guessing that the rds are very damaged and wouldnt be possible anyway???

Safe travels anyway and looking forward to your reports as allways go the 200 LOL

Regards

Wouldnt I like to be up there in the next few months and see the transformation from last year to this year would blow you away.

But I'm guessing that the rds are very damaged and wouldnt be possible anyway???

Hi Kimbo

If your comment is right I had better think again about setting out on the Outback Way towards QLD in 5 weeks heading for Birdsville then the Savannah Way

Anyone got a road conditions glass ball?

Cheers

Hi,

If you go to this link and than follow directions to the area you are looking at travelling. This should help you find an alternative route if the one you are looking at is closed.

http://www.ntlis.nt.gov.au/roadreport/incl...e=content/links

Also if you type Lake Eyre into your search criteria you will find links to some pretty good aerial photography of the trezlecki, Birdsville, Innaminka area.

Hope this helps :smile: