Next G marine aerial connection

John and Tricia

Hi all. We have recently taken possession of a new ATV with a next G aerial. I understood it to give better reception to both mobile phone &/or computer modem. Graham at Kedron said to get a patch lead to attach to the phone & the connection point in the van. I have purchased a patch lead from telsra that fits our phone however it will not fit the connection in the van. I have been to several places but to no avail and when I describe the connection inside the van the dealers at places like Jaycar believe it is incorrect connection in the van. Could any one who has a next g connection that they work successfully please advise on what to do. Thanks in anticipation. We head off on Saturday up to the Kimberley :smile: Tricia

John & Tricia

Had a similar problem when first fitted.Speak to Glen he sent us around the corner from factory somewhere (cant remember now 2 yrs. ago. They made a patch up on the spot,which fitted both ends.Dont waste your time with Jaycar & Telstra they are both useless.Glen is your man or Leisa (she is not a man) :laugh:

Cheers

Rick & Lea :thumbsup:

Hello John & Tricia,

I have just been through that exerecise. I took my van to Austek here in Cairns. In a flash they made up a patch lead that connected my phone to the antennae.

While I was there I had them make a lead that connected the Next G antennae to a Netcomm Gateway Series 7 wireless modem. Now I have wireless internet within 200 meters of my van!

Also, and very importantly, I had Austek remove the little rubbery aerial of radio/cd player from the back of the van and replace it with a quarter wave length HF antennae. It screws on and off. As soon as we stop I just screw it back on.

Last week I was in the middle of nowhere west of Cairns. There was no NextG reception out there but the radio stations boomed in!

Have a great trip.

Regards

Hey everyone,

On the subject of this does anyone know the name of the "type" of connector or plate Kedron put in the van? For instance the connector for the external aieral on the next G gateway is an "SMA" connection.

Looks like the same of as the sat connections?

Cheers,

Pete

Pete & Tracey,

The fitting inside the van is a TNC plug. I had a lead made up with a TNC on one end and SMA on the other. I then connect the Telstra patch lead for my phone & modem to the SMA fitting. I had the cable made by Terlin Outbacker Communications here in Perth. The fittings are fairly common and should be available from most radio/communications suppliers.

I have (today) fitted a two way splitter to my set up to allow me to have phone & modem outside the van. I had all the cables made up and had no problem accessing the TNC fittings.

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Col & Debbie,

After much reasearch and misinformation on the net we got Wincom in Brndale to make a cable up for us.

I tried to get the cable from fleabay and all I could get was confused as the merchants did not know what they were talking about when refering to TNC, TNC-RP,SMA and SMA-PR connectors. So in the end I had it made! :-)

Should of done it in the beginning, not wasted my time. Thanks for the info I apperciate it.

Hi Tolley,

Interested in the replacement radio aerial with the"quarter wave length HF antennae". :question: Can you give me any more detail about this antennae - I'm very interested in improving the reception I get in the van.

Thanks

jeff

Hello Jeff,

I do not have the van at home today as I keep it in undercover storage here in Cairns. I will, however, hae it here tomorrow and over the weekend. I'll take some photographs and post them here for you.

It is really worth doing as the little rubber aerial that came with the van was useless.

Regards

Colin

Hello Jeff,

Attached please find the photo's of the antennae installation. Oh! The first photo is there just to show you what a beautiful day it is here in Cairns today!

What you cannot see from the photo's is the inside of the van's external cladding. In order to make the antennae connection stable and strong the installers put a backing plate on the inside. The plate is probably 50 x50 mm. Our van has the stove at the rear window so the antennae connection backing plate is accessed behind the range hood above the stove.

I had the job done by Austek in Cairns who are sellers and installers of two way radios, sat phones and CB's etc.

I have two antennae. The one shown is the big daddy, the 1/4 wavelength HF job. The second one, not shown is a smaller steel whip antennae.

Before we depart I simply unscrew the antennae and store it in the boot. On set-up it takes a few seconds to hop up and screw it on again.

If there is any radio waves to be found they will be picked up. Hope this helps.

Regards

Colin

Thanks Colin - really appreciate the photos. Will definitely look into this - trying to get reception in the bush with the current aerial just doesn't work. Sick of having to sit in the car to listen to the football on the radio!!!!

Curly. I had an automatic radio aerial installed by Sound in Motion at Nambour. The unit was fitted in a forward kitchen cupboard, and externally only the tip of the aerial and a drainage slot on the side protruded. Ideal for bush driving. When you turn the radio on or off the aerial rises or withdraws accordingly, just like on most cars