Insurance

Since purchasing our ATV in 2007 we have been insured with CIL with no claims to date. We are also members of the Aust Caravan Club (ACC) who have an arrangement with MHIA, so we got a quote from them which was $200 cheaper. We are wondering if any one has had any experience with either, or any other insurer. It is hard to judge the real value until you have a claim.

Robert & Jane

Hi Robert & Jane

We have been with CIL with both vans for about 4 yrs. now.Had a couple of claims dealt with quickly and helpfully. Highly recommended.

Cheers

Rick& Lea :thumbsup:

Hi Robert and Jane

We have most of our polices with APIA, thats Australian Pensioners Insurance. They the acept people who are not working full time. We have not had to claim on the van( touch wood) however have claimed several times for storm damage on the house and found them a pleasure to deal with. Also, when you phone them you are atually speaking with someone who can deal with your problem straight away. When I checked they were cheaper too :thumbsup:

John and Jo

Hi Robert & Jane

I recently requested a quote from MHIA for our van. They sent me the quote and full particulars of SOME OTHER PEOPLE IN WESTERN AUSTRALIA. I assume these people also got my full details. Extremely unprofessional these days of identity theft. When I approached MHIA about this, they werent particularly concerned.... Needless to say, we are now with CIL. No too many agencies out there will insure a caravan over 100,000 bucks, so it's a limited field.

Regards

Chris

• 2 months later...

Thank you to those that responded to our insurance query, the following feedback may be of some interest. At last renewal our insurer, CIL, increased our premium to $1287.61, decreased the sum insured by 5% and increased the excess from $100 to $200. The previous year MHIA’s quote had been competitive but this year increased it by a whopping 50%, forget them. APIA quoted $1008.16 with an excess of $100. APIA’s policy wording was not quite as good as CIL, mainly they exclude jewellery, but we decided to wear this risk and go with them.

Robert & Jane

Hi Robert & Jane

We have our van insured with GIO. the agreed value of van is $90,000 plus contents value of $5,000, with an excess of $200. The premium is $829.25

We were with AAMI for same cover but $300 excess and premium of $904.

CIL quote was $1290 with $200 excess.

Cheers

Alan

• 1 month later...

Hello,

For reasons that I will not disclose here, I had a point of difference with CIL. Hence I sought another insurer. Ended up with AAMI for $400 less that CIL. I have the Landcruiser insured with AAMI as well.

The weird thing is that CIL, AAMI, APIA, Shannons, GIO, Vero and a whole bunch of others are all owned by Suncorp.

The differences in insurance policies and premiums are as difficult to understand as the differences in airline ticket prices from different vendors.

Anyway, my gereral question is: Is AAMI any good at insuring caravans?

Colin

Hello everyone,

was just reading all the responces to Robert And Janes question, we're insured through Suncorp and as you probably all know had a slight mishap with the van & car a while ago and had no issues with them in getting the van fixed. Our last premium was $652 obviously cheaper because the van is valued at $50,000 but what we did do in regards to the contents was attached the van to our house policy. So whatever we carry regardless of the amount or cost, if stolen, the house policy will cover it which we found the best way to go seeing as Deb sometimes has more in the van than what the normal caravan policy will cover. :thumbsup:

King.