100 series Upgrade

RickA

Hi Gang :helpsmilie:

Does anyone out there know of 100 series L/C upgrades.I know 200 can be done.I have heard rumours that it now can be done by an Engineer (similar to Caravan upgrade) We are currently in Brisbane.We are having the 6 ton McHitch fitted next week and van upgrade when engineer comes back from Hols.

Cheers

Rick & Lea

We had our 200 done a couple of months ago and were given a list of the 4 makes/models that we were told were the only vehicles allowed to be replated as an upgrade.. The 100 was not on the list.. There was another Toyota and a couple of Nissans. This was in Queensland. I do not know if the laws are different in other states.. but your up grade must be registered with the motor registry to complete the process.. so they would be the people who would know the absolute truth I think. We had our upgrade done by ARB, I guess they would also know the legality of it.. They organised the mod plate and gave us the forms for the motor registry to complete the process.

Hi All,

GVM upgrades are an interesting topic!

It is important to understand that a GVM upgrade only increases the GVM and hence payload capacity of the vehicle. It does not increase the vehicle GCM or tow capacity, which are the important numbers when considering the weight of your caravan.

As has been said there are I believe only options available for a couple of Toyota's and Nissan variants that don't include the 100 Series.

In truth you probably don't need to consider an upgrade for a 100 Series, but, if you have a 200 Series and are contemplating bullbar, winch, roof rack, drawers, rear wheel carrier and fuel tank upgrades you probably have no choice, you might squeeze in under GVM for your trip with careful packing, but stop have a biggh lunch, buy a few groceries or take on another passenger and you could go over, it really is that touch and go.

However, BEWARE, if you load your vehicle to use the capacity of an upgraded GVM (some upgrades are 500kg) then that additional weight in the vehicle must come off the vehicle tow capacity to remain withing the GCM rating. Put simply you are moving where you can put the extra 200-500kgs by going for a GVM upgrade, you do not get an over all increase in what you can carry vehicle and caravan combined.

GVM upgrade benefits a vehcile that either tows nothing or tows something well under the rated tow capacity of the vehicle, setting aside the advantages inherent in a suspension upgrade (that is another issue).

This link may help "Watch Your Weight"

If you are looking for serious tow capacity for your cruiser 100 or 200 Series you might need to consider conversion to a 6 wheeler :smile:

BTW, we have an ATV2 on order for a December delivery as well :thumbsup:

Thanks mates.It is what we thought (cant be done)Will continue to shed weight in the van,until we get it right.

We have OME suspension and air bags. and with the McHitch hope we can take some pressure off the tug.

As we travel full time and van is home it is difficult to get rid of weight,but will just have to bite the bullet.

Cheers and Beers me old dears

Rick & Lea :thumbsup:

Thanks Jaygee

The info was great on upgrades, we will be getting the airbags put in before we get the van.

What part of December do you pick up your van, they told us about the middle of December, we may see you there. We have already started making lists for the things we have to take with us on our shake down trip, we a soo excited :laugh:

Happy thoughts

Mal and Kerry

Hi Mal and Kerry,

I have asked for our van to be ready for pick just before they close for Christmas as I will drive across with my two boys via Great Central Road and Plenty Highway, Ann will fly over to meet up with us there, we have plans to spend Christmas and New Years somewhere around Brisbane/Gold Coast/Sunshine Coast before the boys fly back home to work at Kununurra and we start the long steady shakedown drive home to Perth.

We are planning a couple of trips to the factory before delivery to sort through some of the finer details and extras which are plentiful. Stan has been great, they are all very accommodating.

It all seems such a long time away, I am becoming quite impatient as well as excited :thumbsup:

Rick,

I am currently looking at doing up the suspension on the 100 and I have come across this modification from airbag man suspension.

I need to check it out fully yet but when you look at the cost of heavier spring sets and air bags it may be a worthwhile look. If anyone has any experience with these I am listening.

I had standard airbag man "coil rite" system in the old car and they worked well.

They have a kit that replaces the coils in the 100 series with "On Air" full air suspension modification.

The airbag factory is in Brendale not far up from the Kedron factory so next time I am down in Brisvegas I will be checking it out with the factory. :smile:

http://www.airbagman.com.au/OA.html

Have a good weekend.

cheers