Clearview Towing Mirrors

Mayzee

Hi All,

Has anyone had experience with the Clearview electric towing mirrors, particularly on a 200 Series. They look pretty good to me and I note that Bushtracker seems to rate them highly. At $660 plus the cost of fitting I would like to be sure they are as good as they say. Can anyone help?

Hi John & Maureen,

We have the Clearview towing mirrors on our Landcruiser 100 Series and find them very good.

Downside

The split mirror takes a little getting used to at first

They don't come out quite as far as the Aussie Truck Mirrors

Upside

No screech from glass against metal every time you put the windows up and down (what a relief !)

Always attached to the vehicle - no need to take off and put on mirrors when driving around towns

The mirrors are very large, so give a great view

The mirrors fold in against the vehicle for tight spots

....and of course, electronically adjusted from inside the vehicle

Hi Sue,

When you have them extended (out) do thet 'fold or blow' back onto the drivers window when you pass a semi at speed?

Best wishes

Thanks Sue,

We have the ORA mirror mounted system with magnetic arms which we had on our 100 Series so glass screeching was not a problem. The magnetic arms were essential to stop the mirrors crashing into the drivers side window when passing some semi's and particularly fuel tankers. The first time it happened I nearly had kittens! The main reason I am considering Clearview is, as you identified, to avoid the need to remove the mirrors when unhitched and driving around towns. My only reservation after your great reply is the reduced reach. The outer edge of my standard vehicle mirror is 30cm from the drivers side window and 46cm when the ORA mirrors are fitted. I will visit ARB and TJM to see if I can find out the measurement for the Clearview. Thanks again.

Just measured ours. When fully extended, the outer edge of the mirror is 46cm from the window. This is measuring directly out from the window and not along the angle of the mirror arm. Hope you understand the difference as it's a little hard to explain.

No they certainly don't fold in when trucks pass Tony. They are very solid and firm in their position.

Hi,

Do you know you can order direct from the Clearview website, www.clearviewmirrors.com.au compare the pricing. I dont know what you have been quoted from TJM .....but you may save a dollar or two :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

I've got them on my 100 series, and I like them.

Some limitations, like limited vertical tilt adjustment (if I was very tall I'd have to lower the seat right down in order to see straight back with the mirror tilted up to the max). But overall, I'd never go back to clip-ons, etc.

I had a choice of chrome or black, and chose black to avoid reflections. Also no probs fitting them myself - just need to follow the DVD instructions carefully.

Hello,

Yesterday, the Clearview mirrors I ordered from the net arrived. This morning i watched the excellent instructional vidoe and then fitted them to my 100 Series.

While it took me a good bit longer than the advertised "15 minutes per side", the process was easy and the result excellent. I have just done a little local run with my van and I am very happy to have the mirrors.

Cheers to all

Colin

Hello Everyone,

This morning I drove through a typical Cairns downpour. We had 57 mm in quick time. The Clearview mirrors were fantastic. Whereas the original Toyota mirrors always became virtually unuasble in heavy rain the Clearviews stayed water free and clear. Perhaps it is the design or perhaps some treatment on the morrors. Either way, they were great.

Colin

• 1 year later...

Hello Everyone,

In February of last year I purchased and fitted Clearview Mirrors to my 100 Series LC. Unfortunately, I purcased them before Tony H did a mass buy at a good price. As you will se if you read back through this thread, I was very happy with the mirrors. Since then I have driven probably 25,000 km with them and was very happy until they both started to develop "brewers droop" some months ago. I accepted this on the LH side as it had hit a tree when I was forced to take to the scrub to avoid a head on with a road train as we traversed the Gibb River Road. But, the RH one started doing the same. I tried to tighten them, adjust them etc etc but to no avail. Finally, I went to TJM here in Cairns (they are a reseller of the mirrors). We found that the internal nmounting plate on both mirrors had shattered. The mirrors are now useless so I have reinstalled the original Toyota mirrors.

TJM is in discussion with Cleaerview. I will post the result on this site when I know what it is. My mirrors have plastic stems housing (whatever is it called). It is the bit the exists between the mirror arms and the door od the LC. I notice on the display mirrors at TJM that these "stems" are now metal. I like the mirrors but I am not that impressed with the qual;ity of desgn and manufacture. It will be interesting to see what Clearview decides to do.

I'll keep you posted.

Regards

Colin

Hi Colin,

Any dramas, or lack of satisfaction with the TJM enquiries PLEASE let me know & it will be rectified. Even though you didnt purchase these mirrors through me I could have organised warranty for you. :D

Cheers, cu down the road.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Tony H and Everyone,

Clearview have requested the mirrors be sent back to them where they will refurbish with new metal bases rather than the existing plastic version. TJM in Cairns have done a great job in pursuning Clearview and in keeping me informed of the progress.

One benefit has been that I have been forced to go back to using my strap on mirrors. That has reminded me just how good the Clearviews are, especially on the Left side of the tug.

Tony, thank you for your offer of assistance. Much appreciated.

Regards

Colin

Hi all

Tolly

If you use "rainex" on the glass there is no dramas with rain.It simply beads up and falls off the glass same as the rest of the glass on the tug.

Available from most auto outlets

Cheers from the Kyd's.

• 1 month later...

An Update.

My broken Clearview mirrors have been returned, totally refurbished, from Clearview at no cost to me. The original plastic bits have been replaced by the Mark 2 alloy bits. TJM Cairns installed them yesterday - what luxury to have them back!

While it has taken some time it has been a demonstration of good customer care by both TJM and Clearview.

Colin

Colin,

My mirrors should arrive this week, I am getting them through Tony H who organised them after his return from his last trip. It is good to see companies do the right thing regarding product problems when they happen and the message should go out so others can benefit from good customer service.

I have a similar story with Genquip in Sydney, phoned them when I was down that way advising I had fumes from the gene and after talking with the tech guys they sent up a new design fuel cap to my daughters place that I would be at the following week. After arriving home, still with the gene giving of fuel fumes I spoke with them again and they are arranging to have the generator sent back to Sydney at no cost to us to determine the source of the problem. I did offer to do some investigation work but they said that was not my responsibility and were more than happy to pay to have the generator sent back for investigation. That's what I call GCS. :)

:D

Fitted the mirrors today, just have to get out and use them. It is refreshing to actually get a product that installs as easily as the manufacturer says it will in the brochures and instructions.