How much do Kedron Caravans Weigh

Rousosm

I have recently ordered a 20ft (18ft 6in internal) ATV for delivery in November. I contemplated a 21ft model so we could have an ensuit across the back but was advised by a friend who has an 18ft model that a 21ft model could easily go over the 3500kg towing capacity of my tow vehicle when fully laden.He had talked to other owners who were having weight problems. (wilth their caravans) Could some existing Kedron Owners who have put their own caravan over a weigh bridge tell me what size they have and what they weighed empty and laden. I have time to change the order to a 21ft model if it seems ok weight wise. Thanks everyone in advance, can't wait til we are fellow owners.

Regards ROUSOSM

Hi Rousosm,

Would you give the KOG owners details on your tow vehicle.

It is a very interesting topic weights and vans......too complicated for me :biggrin:

Thanks

Hi Rousosm

What ever you buy get the delivery weight (may or not be the Tare weight) certified on a weighbridge before you take delivery.

My XC2 17 ft inside was plated at 2250kg Tare & 2750kg ATM.

I have not weighed it empty but did weigh it loaded with all extra load weights checked or estimated fairly accurately including extras to the standard XC2 van fitted by Kedron and the result was a shock.

The ATM was 3100kg, GTM 2840kg.

When I was considering which model to buy Kedron advised the same sized ATV would probably be 300kg heavier than the XC2.

My guess is that your ATV will certainly be pushing 3500kg and a 21ft would be over when loaded for a longish tour.

Talk to Kedron about actual weights of vans and be certain about the topic.

Best of luck

Hi ROUSOSM,

We have a 21Ft ATV with full ensuite at the rear. We have the standard 3x80 litre water tanks and 3 solar panels and batteries and all the usual accessories including the diesel heater. The tare is 2,930 giving a payload of 570. We had it weighed fully loaded (all water tanks full and also a 20 litre jerry can of diesel). We also had on board the Honda 2kva genny, Baby Weber barby, tools, and all the gear we needed for a 3 month trip to Birdsville etc. The van weighed 3,520 and our ball weight was 320. We generally travel with the water tanks only about half full so we would be well under the 3,500 limit. I should also mention that we bought the 21Ft van specifically to get the full ensuite and we are really glad we did. Good luck and I hope this helps a bit.

• 1 month later...

Hi Rousosm .We purchase a 21ft topender with full ensuit across the back in November tare weight 2920kg fully loaded with all 3 water tanks full plus every thing require for us to get up and including 2.4kw generator . I put it across the way station here in Townsville the day we left for a 5 week trip in January and way in at 3540kg

happy caravaning.

Regards Richard and Celeste :thumbsup:

Hi Rousosm

We took our ATV 21ft over the weigh bridge yesterday, we have the standard Kedron set up for an ATV which is 3 solar panels, 3 batteries, diesel heater etc., we have included the 2.4kva generator, all the normal cooking gear, Baby Q etc,we were trying to keep things to what we thought was a realistic minimum. But with 2 x 100litres water tanks full and one by 100 litre drinking water tank three quarters full, and probably half the cupboards in the van are empty.

Our van weighed in at 3560kgs, obviously the fresh water is the key to your weight problems. In the total weight of 3560kgs there was no food or clothing, which makes us wonder how accurate the original unloaded weight is?

The weigh bridge gave us the wrong combination of weights for us to work out our ball weight, but the 200 series and the caravan weighed in at 6440 kgs. Toyota recommends that the 200 series does not exceed 3300kg fully loaded, so if I have a ball weight of 350 kg, I have deducted the weight of van from the total weight of van and vehicle, which tells me that the tug is 2880kg , so if I add the 350kg ball weight to that, it comes at 3230kg, which leaves us with only 70 kgs, so the missus will have to stay home :laugh: Just remembered the fuel tank on the tug was only half full, so if I fill the tank up that is roughly another 60kg of fuel, I better stop calcuting otherwise I will have to stay home myself :sad: hopefully you can tell us if I have calculated something wrong.

Looking forward tocatching up at Kilkevan Gathering this week-end.

Happy thoughts

Mal and Kerry

Hello,

Must be the season for weighing vans! I weighed mine yesterday. 20 ft TE and 100 series TD. We are leaving on Thursday of this week for a 4 month trip around Oz so the van was combat ready with 300 L water, five dozen bottles of wine and so on. I did not have the jerry can of fuel on the a frame so the real weight is really up about 25 kg on the figures below.

The weights were as follows. Cruiser and Van together = 6700 kg. Van hitched = 3280 kg. Van unhitched = 3600 kg. Ball weight = 320 kg. Cruiser = 3100 kg.

So, I will drop 150 kg of water tomorrow, which will bring me under max wieight.

These weights make me pleased that I have the 6 tonne McHitch connecting tghe LC and the TE. I have found it to be just great. Once you get a little experience with the hitch it is easy to back onto but you have to be accurate. The camerea is a must.

Regards tom all