Generator to run Cormorant

dondelta

Hello all.

I have just thrown our dometic A/C off the roof and replaced it with a Cormorant. The thing is awesome and it should have been done 4 visits to fridgies ago. We have a honda 2.0 inverter genie witch drops out at times running the A/C. Has anyone experiance with larger generators.

Cheers Mick.

G'day Mick,

I have a similar setup to yours, a 2kw Honda and a Cormorant; and initially had some issues with the cormorant dropping out whilst I was using a standard 15 amp 15m caravan extension lead.

I phoned Honda with the view to possibly upgrading my generator but the bloke told me to use a heavy duty 15 amp lead no more than 3m long. ......... I made up a 2.5m lead and now the combinagtion runs perfectly :biggrin: .

Hope this helps.

Regards, JK.

We bought our atv new in October.we were told the honda would run the cormorant but would struggle.we didn't try untill late December with no luck.bought 3m of very heavy lead & new ends but still kept tripping the overload.After a few calls to Glen Honda rang & we sent it to Perth.Honda tested very well on their benchtest.Len from honda rank cormorant in adelaide & it was deceided that honda was not up to it.Both honda & glen were very good & we received a full refund on the honda.

Yamaha 2400 is arriving today..

Regards Danny & Sue

Dondelta,

Ithink that the 2.8 yammy is a good move, more weight than the 2.4, but more grunt and if you are using the the van for living off the grid, you can live that life of luxuary,

I believe that is the reason we buy Kedron.

My days of laying around on the ground, ended many years ago,

Enjoy life and the comforts you have earned.

Cheers,

Tom and Jackie. :biggrin:

Hi Gang

How do you overcome the problem of 10amp plug from genny to 15amp into van??

Cheers

Rick :helpsmilie:

Hi Gang

How do you overcome the problem of 10amp plug from genny to 15amp into van??

Cheers

Rick :helpsmilie:

Hi Rick & Lea,

Our generator has both connections. Not that I know a lot about electrics but you could look at a Amp-Fibian. Just google it or try www.ampfibian.com.au.

Pity we didn't read this thread last week. We have just paid $2000 for a new Honda EU20i because all the Honda blurb, and everyone we spoke to, said it was the best generator for a caravan.

Thought we should run it in and get the first service before setting off on the road in September.

Today the outside temperature has been 33C and the generator will not run our Cormorant air-con.

The generator keeps cutting out and shutting down. We have a heavy-duty 15 amp lead.

Hope the dealer agrees to a refund. Will find out this week.

Looks like Yamaha is the way to go. Will keep everyone posted.

Steve & Lyn

We got our yamaha 2400 last week and so far very happy.had it running air con & battery charger with long lead[25m bunnings ] with no problams.cycled air con easily.down side is it's a bit heavier than the Honda.i have glued blue rubber matting on the front ,back & door of gennie box to stop it rubbing.made a mesh frame that gives about 20mm of clearance.we push gennie in & slide the last mat in between gennie & frame.still leaves enough room to fit 10l fuel containers ouside frame.

Cheers Danny & Sue

Looks great Danny,

Thanks for sharing. Have you vented the box now that you are storing fuel in there? If not you should put it on your list of things to do sooner rather than later for safety sake. Oh and don't be tempted to install a light in there for those late night setups and refuels.

John

Our problems with the Honda 2kva are well documented here on this forum and elsewhere. The Honda would trip out after 15 mins of running, if the outside temperature was too hot. The handbook said it would not run in ambient temps above 40 degrees.

Sadly, this is the only time we ever needed the generator - when it was hot, to run the airconditioner! It let us down time after time, in very hot weather when we needed the aircon, and were in remote bush spots.

So we gave the Honda away - literally. Just left it in the van hatch when we sold it. It had only done about 5 hours of duty. I never wanted to see the thing again.

We bought a yamaha 2400, and it is wonderful. But yes, it is heavier.

A small problem we had was the fuel cap, which had a hole in it, which allowed the fuel to spill when we were travelling, and the fumes were dreadful. Val found a new fuel cap somewhere (Yamaha were no help). I am hoping this will have solved the problem.

Chris

Hello Everyone,

I have had the Yamaha 2400 since we took delivery of our van some sixteen months ago. It was an option offered by Kedron and having been made aware of the Honda difficulties with aircon through this forum we naturally chose the Yamaha.

We live in the tropics. Most of our van time, some 25,000 km now, has been up here where it knows how to get hot an humid. The Yamaha has been fantastic. Easy start, quiet, handles all the loads we put on it at the end of a long power lead. It is heavier than the Honda which is a bit of a pain, but....

If I was doing it all again I would buy the Yamaha 2400 again

Regards

Colin

Hello all,

Just got back from weekend away with a borrowed Yamaha 2400. The weather has been very hot & humid up here in paradise, but the Yamy was without fault. The cap was unvented (5YO ). We are still thinking of the 2800 for the 11 litre fuel tank.

the thing is slighty lighter, but louder than the 2400. I would be interested in 2800 owner's comments regarding the 12% increase in noise, as most times I don't think it would be an issue.

Thanks to everyone for the comments

Hi Chris,

What sort of a fuel tank cap does it have? Well, its black and that's about all I can recall. LOL. The van is not with me at the moment - its in storage a few km away. I'll have a look tomorrow and let you know. I can tell you, however, I have not had any problems with the cap.

Regards to you.

Colin

Hello Steve and Lyn,

I noted you comment about wishing you had read hese comments earlier. The Honda generator problem has been discussed in this forum at length beforehand. It is the reason I selected the Yamaha over the Honda way back in 2009. I am a new Kedron owner having purchased and taken delivery of out TE in October 2009. This forum is a mine of information. I think there is a search function (Webby will know) but, in any case, it is worth the time to go back and read the very wide range of issues discussed by Kedron owners how have vast knowledge and experience. I have learnt so much from them.

Regards to you both

Colin

You are right Colin - there IS a search function in here.

Go back up to the top and under our photo strip you will see the word "Search" between "Links" and "Members". Give it a go. The fewer words the better. ie. search for just "Honda"...not "Problems with Honda Generator".

Hello Chris,

This morning I had a look at the fuel tank cap on the Yamaha Generator. I was right, it is black!! And, it does not have a hole in it in any shape or form. Quite solid.

Regards

Colin

Thanks Colin.

I must check what colour our cap is :clown: We are doing a trip shortly (going to Melbourne on Tuesday for two weks, with national park and other camping on the way) so will advise how successful Val's "fix" of a new cap is.

We had all sorts of hassles getting the new cap. Not easy to find.

Chris

Chris

Wouldn`t the hole in the cap be a breather, similar to the diesel heater tank? Just curious. Perhaps you should take the old cap with you just in case. :confused1:

Cheers

Rick