TPMS

Danny and Sue

Can anyone recomend a tyre pressure monitor.We have had 4 sets of tyredogs & have had to return every set.They had the external booster but just kept failing or not working in the first place. This all started about september last year.I am getting a refund which is good[minuss my 4 lots of postage]but still have no monitors.I am only really interested in an 8 set with external fitting sencors that go on the valve stem.

Regards Danny & Sue

Hi guys,

We have the 8 sensor tyredogs with relay and had similar problems to you. I ended up ringing tyredogs aus and found that the relay MUST be connected to a non-switchable power source ie, rear fridge plug etc. or use batteries. Mine now seems to work fine for the car, but I havent hitched the van up yet. We have a 200 series cruiser and I installed the relay next to the spare tyre on the passenger side. I note that the manual does NOT mention the non switched power source.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Chris

Thanks for that but we were using batteries & had booster mounted at the back of the tray.we do have an alluminium canopy & wonder if we get reflection of signal?had 4 complete new sets so you would think 1 would work.

Cheers Danny & Sue

• 3 weeks later...

Although Tyredog does not recomend it we have 2 sets of four. One monitor on right side of dash for the tow vehicle which never gets turned off & the batteries in the monitor lasted 10 months. The monitor for the van is on the left side of dash & we only turn it on when van is hooked up, still using original batteries in this monitor. We have saved 3 tyres since using Tyredog.

Hi Guys

This is what I use, one set on the car one on the van.

Never had a problem with them and they worked ok when I had a faulty valve stem in the L/H front tyre of the tug.

When I purchased them they were about $100.00 a set, depending on freight these could be a steal.

http://cgi.ebay.com/SECUTIRE-WIRELESS-TIRE...=item5643aa197f

Cheers

Bryan :thumbsup:

• 2 years later...

Finally got a TPMS that really does work for tyres on the cruiser and the van, even the spares. Had all the sensors fitted Tuesday and was happy to see them come online one by one.

The system I bought is TMPS203 with extra sensors for the spares from Inawise (Melbourne), they've even got a shot from the Gall Boys on the product page laugh.gifClick Here

Disclaimer: No association with the company or the product.

John

Finally got a TPMS that really does work for tyres on the cruiser and the van, even the spares. Had all the sensors fitted Tuesday and was happy to see them come online one by one.

The system I bought is TMPS203 with extra sensors for the spares from Inawise (Melbourne), they've even got a shot from the Gall Boys on the product page laugh.gifClick Here

Disclaimer: No association with the company or the product.

John

Hi John. I have been looking around to see what is out there. I have been told that tyredog were not suitable for dust and corrigation. Is this brand suitable for traverling on these kinds of roads. Could you let me know the cost of them and does the monitor needs to be hard wired to the vehicle. Thanks Richard

Hi John. I have been looking around to see what is out there. I have been told that tyredog were not suitable for dust and corrigation. Is this brand suitable for traverling on these kinds of roads. Could you let me know the cost of them and does the monitor needs to be hard wired to the vehicle. Thanks Richard

Hi Richard,

The base unit with 8 sensors is $600, each additional sensor is $50. The sensors are similar to that which were used with my Toyota TPMS fitted to my car (which I removed because it could not be expanded), the significance of this is that they are fitted from the inside of the rim so they need to be installed by a tyre fitter this cost me an additional $30 per tyre including balancing (a good deal from a mate). Therefore I can tell you that provided they perform as the Toyota version they are impervious to dust as my previously fitted set served me well for the last 5 years in dust, water, mud and anything else that I've driven through.

Some don't like fitting them to the rim but IMO it's the only way to go as the others can be unscrewed by anyone keen on getting a spare.

I tried the Tyredog kit but without a range extender, they wouldn't pick up the van tyres so I tried them on the cruiser as I'd swapped some tyres with spares from the van before tackling the GRR last year, they did perform quite well and had no problem with either the road conditions or dust, just couldn't be used for what I intended, the van.

This new Inawise kit is best hard wired, it's what they suggest in the paperwork, but, it does come with a suction cup mounting kit and cigarette lighter plug as well as hard wire kit, so you have options. I was fortunate in that the power was already there from the removed Toyota TPMS so I used that, I would have hard wired it anyway. I mounted the display in front of the ash tray of the centre console, made a bracket by modifying a angle bracket from Bunnings and it's all held in place with stick on Velcro, it's quite tidy, secure and in good view.

The unit comes with an external antenna fitted with a very strong magnet. I decided that to give it the best chance of a good signal I'd stick it to the chassis rail, tucked up under the right rear 1/4. I ran the wire through the chassis rail using existing open holes as far as the drivers door where it comes out and enters the cabin through an existing rubber grommet under the drivers seat, then under the carpet, through the centre console to the display. I'm not sure that I needed to worry too much about getting the antenna that far back as the sensors have a great range, I haven't measured exactly but I would say at least 30m without line of sight.

Let me know if you want any more info or a pic.

John

Hello,

I have just bought another set of tyre monitors after sending a set of Tyredogs back. This set is supplied by ABR-SIDEWINDER, an online store in Brisbane. They are normally supplied with a set of six screw on sensors. Two extra sensors to make up a set of eight cost an extra $43 each. The unit does not require a relay for the caravan sensors. I have only been driving the 4WD around for a week with them on and they work fine.

I have no connection with ABR-SIDEWINDER.

Cheers,

Fred1

• 4 weeks later...

G'day All

I agree that a TPMS should just work, but after having trouble with two different systems, the 1st being the from TPMS Australia (now closed) with their booster in place & the 2nd being the Jetta system, neither would work reliability on the Kedron with losing the wheels reading all the time.

I've heard from within the industry that the best is reportedly the Doran system which is sold in Australia by LSM Equipment. I would be very interested in hearing from anyone who has a Doran system especially with a LC 200 & Kedron.

Fred1's comments on the ABR-Sidewinder are interesting. Have others had experience with the ABR-Sidewinder system?

Cheers

Alan

I tried the cheaper TYRE GUARD which were not very accurate and alarmed regularly with false readings. Ie I had to stop and check for an alarmed deflated tire, only to find all was OK.Very annoying!and unreliable. The old Peter and the wolf syndrome!

I now have run Truck Systems Technologies from the USA, and self proclaimed leaders in the tire monitoring market.

This tyre (tire) monitoring system appears to be no 1 in blogs etc.

The new 507 allows either the button style cap sensors for rubber valve stems, or flow – through sensors for metal valve stems.

In-tire sensors are also available. They require factory replacement of batteries every 5-7 years, which requires breaking the bead to expose the sensor inside the tire!

For full details see.... http://www.tsttruck.com/

The accuracy is 1-2 PSI and has the capability of monitoring a B double semi trailer. I have a booster mounted in the rear of my LC 200, just to be doubly sure of good reception.

I have only done 2,000kms with the van on, and about 20,000kms of highway, around town, and some off-roading, without any issues with the "button" style sensors.

My set-up is 6 sensors on the LC 200 (two spare tires on the rear) and 6 sensors on the Kedron ATV including the spares. I possibly would not bother monitoring the spares, and save 4 monitors.

TST were very helpful when purchasing my requirements.

Trust this may help you with your selection of a tire monitoring system.

• 1 month later...

Just an update on the Hawks head tyre Monitors..

We have done about 10 thousand k's now with no trouble..been across the Gibb & up to Kalumburu etc etc..[in Derby now for the overnighter on the horizontal falls boat]

Only thing i have changed is the wiring to the signal booster..it is now hard wired to the anderson plug rather than to an ignition fed wire..i have a fuse on the wire that i will pull out when at home..it was a bit slow to pick up signal when wired to ignition fed wire..

pretty happy with them so far.

Cheers Danny & Sue

Hi Danny & Sue,

I have a Doran 360 system on the F250 and the Topender. It was supplied by LMS systems in Brisbane. It hasn't faulted to date. It can monitor up to 22 wheels and you can also purchase anti theft parts for the sensors.

Cheers,

Kingy and Rhonda.