Hubs, bearings and studs.

Pete and Tracey

Good evening all,

Went to grease the bearings today and discovered that one of the studs on one of the hubs was spinning. I was unable to separate the wheel from the hub of course. Has anyone had one of these repaired? Hope I can.

On the same topic, what is the best way to remove the seal from the back of the hub? Destroy it? Or can they be removed without damaging it? And how? Seems pretty tight.

Thanks guys and gals, oh........Happy Easter

Hi Peter,

Very unusual for a stud to do this, but it is easy to get around.

Remove the wheel centre cap, the with a pair of long flatblade screwdrivers pry out & remove the grease cap from the brake drum/hub assembly, then remove the split pin & nut securing the bearings.

Then sit on your backside facing the wheel with one leg either side of the wheel, then pull the wheel & hub assembly towards you, (it will be heavy). Once removed you may be able to grip the stud with a pair of 'vise grips' & attempt to remove the wheel nut if you cant you will have find someone with a mig welder to 'tack/weld' the stud to the brake drum then remove the nut.

During this process the hole in the brake drum will be copping a hiding, when you fit the new wheel stud it may be a loose fitting, if so the new wheel stud will have to be 'tacked' in.

When refitting the hub 'grease cap' put a smear of silcon on the male leading edge that slides/fits into the drum to stop the ingress of water or dust to the hub.

Lubricate with a smear of bearing grease all wheel studs prior to refitting of wheels.

Hub seals should be replaced at each bearing service, repeat should be but this writter has been known to reuse his seals also. To remove with minimal damage lay the brake drum down with the inner bearing closest to the ground, get a preferably a brass drift or a piece of steel bar put it through the 'hole' where the outer bearing suits then place the drift on the gage of the inner bearing then tap/hit the drift knocking the inner bearing out with the hub seal. Should the seal be damaged, new seals can be purchsed very readily from bearing supply shops for only a few $$

Hope this helps :thumbsup:

Pete and Tracey,

I have not suffered a spinning stud myself but have seen the results, not on Dexter drums though. I have cut through the stud with a hand held grinder. The stud has a coarse spline which is pressed into the cast iron brake drum. Vehicle Components may sell an oversize stud, however if the stud has been flogging around it could have broken out material around the stud hole and that probably means a new drum.

I am not sure how far you are from northern Brisbane. The suspension and brake assemblies Kedron have used for some time are manufactured by Vehicle Components at 352B Bilsen Rd, Geebung Brisbane. Ph 3624 3800. They have a good PDF catalogue on line. Their site is vehiclecomponents.com.au

There is no way you will remove the grease seal from the back of the hub without damaging it. If you are on the Gunbarrell Hwy, 400k from help, by all means tap it back in to get to town, but they are cheap as chips. Either press the larger bearing assembly out with an hydraulic press if you have access to one or using a solid surface tap it out with a long round punch working side to side through the axle hole. If you have removed a bearing set I would replace it with an all new set.

Wheel bearings on the 12in Dexter drums are

Inner LM 501310 & LM 501349, outer L 68149 & L 68110, seal 10 X 76 X 46 mm. I have found that even in large towns this set has to be brought in by bearings traders so I carry two sets of bearings and seals, enough to redo one side of the caravan.

Interestingly my experience over four years is that the roadside set of wheel bearings suffer more damage from water ingress than the ones running in the centre of the road. I have put it down to splashing through more water at the side of the road.

Grahame

Good evening all,

Went to grease the bearings today and discovered that one of the studs on one of the hubs was spinning. I was unable to separate the wheel from the hub of course. Has anyone had one of these repaired? Hope I can.

I had to replace 3 broken studs in the first year and found 2 types of splined studs, the originals were small splines and the replacements were coarse splines and slightly larger diameter at the hub fixing point. You may find the coarse ones are big enough to solve your problem of stud spinning.

On the same topic, what is the best way to remove the seal from the back of the hub? Destroy it? Or can they be removed without damaging it? And how? Seems pretty tight.

For the sake of the cost of a seal why bother to save it? It is however possible to get them out without damage with either a suitable seal puller or very careful tapping with a flat punch from the outer side of the hub.

Thanks guys and gals, oh........Happy Easter

This a repeat testpost