4.5 litre turbo landcruiser ute

richard sheppard

Hi all ,looking for some advice on tow vehicle. I have a 4.8 litre patrol wagon 2010 model ,which is very thirsty towing our 21foot topender it weighs 3.5tonnes .We are planning a trip to the Kimberlys in August September for eight weeks. I only get around 300kms out of a tank[90litres] ,I have two jerry cans on the draw which will give around 400km all up . Does any one out there have info on unleaded fuel and distances in the Kimberlys. I am looking at changing my vehicle to a new Toyota landcruiser 4.5 litre turbo ute but I'm hearing different stories on fuel consumpsion. COULD someone who has this combination please advise me what fuel consumpsion they are getting .Also if someone could help me out with distances and fuel along the Gibb river road section of the Kimberlys. :helpsmilie:

Thanks Richard and Celeste

Hi Richard, We have a late 07 cruiser ute V8 diesel and tow around a 3 ton van. If you are taking your time as in on the stewart hi way with straight roads and little traffic and you sit on 80 kph we return 5.94 kpl. If on the east coast and you are sitting on 95 kph it drops to around 4.9 kpl. They come standard with 2 x 90 ltr tanks. I normally get between 360 and 400 klm out of a tank and reuel takes 140 ltr. This is taking the gauges to just on empty, so should have 20 ltrs left in each tank.

Car is a fantastic tow vehicle and although people do put in a chip and 3 in exhaust , i can see no reason for it as there is more than enough horses to pull our set up.

A word of cautiton. If you can borrow one to take for a ride over a road that is less than perfect may i suggest you try it. Had a friend outlay big money on setting up a brand new ute with all the fruit . Picked the car up and took the wife for a 400 k run and 2 weeks later he traded on a 200 series. His wife couldnt handle the ride after driving around in a prado.

Very expensive lesson.

Den and Col

Hi Den and Col

Thanks for our reply just looking at your kms per litres are you saying that you are getting 360 to 400 kms out of two tanks of fuel is this right .If I divide 360 kms by 140 litres =2.5 kilometers per litres or 400 kms divide 140 litre =2.85 kilometres per litre. But if I muiltply 4.9 kilometers by 140 litres =686 kms. [This sounds better ] Pulling my topender along the Queensland coast with our 4.8 litre petrol patrol we are getting around 3.2 kilometers per litre which = to 90 litre x 3.2 kilometers =288 kms . My concerns are traveling thru the Gibb river road is there enough places that I can get unleaded fuel to take me across that distance.

We have two jerry cans on the draw bar of our van taking this into account 90 literes plus 40 litres [jerry cans ] = 130 liters x 3.2 kilometers per litre =416 kms. I am concern about head winds or heavy going and if my fuel consumpsion falls even lower, distances bewteen fuel stops with only single tank

Once again thanks for your feed back if you could get back to me with kilometres per litres if what you are saying is right

Richard and Celeste :thumbsup:

Hi Richard,The best is around 6 kilometers per lt but to get that you have to be taking it pretty easy and no head wind. Worst case sitting on 95 k per hr returns no lower than 4.9k per lt.

Letting the tanks go to just on empty they will take 70 ltrs each or very close. Both hold 90 ltrs each going by the book.

Best i have done is 460 from a tank( 74 ltrs ) but that was sitting back and taking my time . Possibly a bit of tail wind.

Sitting on 95 so as not to hold up traffic 99% of the time will give 360 kilometers for 70 ltrs.

Problem is you have to keep an eye out to see which way the trees are blowing to know if you have a head or tail wind. Power is not a problem.

If i lost the ute tomorrow, i would line up for another one.

They are common rail ( as are all diesels from some time in 2007 ) and where you will get away with less than clean fuel and maybe a bit of water contamination with the Nissan, a common rail motor is not as forgiving and bad fuel can hurt the hip pocket.

If we can be of further help , just ask.

Den and Col

Richard,

We did the Gibb River Road last year from Kununurra to Napier Downs then cut through to Tunnel Creek and onto Fitzroy Crossing. Our vehicle is a LC100 TD with a long range fuel tank. We had no problem with fuel but at Imintji I think it was diesel only.

The road was a bit corrugated after a late wet season. We had to wait in Kununurra for a week for the GRR to open and there was a fair bit of road work going on. A couple of tips, sticky tape the lids on jars as they undo themselves and pack jars in the fridge in a container in case they spill. Check the D shackle bolts as they shake loose/ unwind and have a couple of spares. We loved the trip and no doubt you will too.

For fuel and distances have a look at - Kimberley Australia

Hi again Den and Col I thank you for the info that you have provided me with of your 4.5 litre tubro diesel . These figures that you have provided is great news.My nissan pulls our van really well except for the fuel side of things .We have it up for sale as we speek and looking at buy and new 4.5 litre gxl ute before going over to the Kimberlys in August September . We picked up our new topender last November tryed to get away in January but didn't go far due to the flooding . Once again thank you and safe travelling Richard and Celeste.

Hi Richard,

We have the Toyota Landcruiser V8 Diesel, GXL, D4D (March 2010) with a Fibreglass canopy on the back.

The vehicle has been to ARB had the suspension replaced with OME Sports Nitro Shocks, heavy duty coils springs, Dakar leaf springs and OME Steering damper. Suspension is rated at 450kgs for towing.

We have the heavy duty ARB Bull bar with 9000lb winch. Extreme Driving lights.

Under the fibreglass canopy is a 60ltr water tank.

Engine bay has the Dual battery system, & air compressor.

Rear end has a ARB Air Locker.

Inside the fibreglass canopy is a Black Widow Draw System, Engel Fridge Freezer, Honda 2.0 KVA generator, 2 x full size mountain bikes. Recovery gear. etc etc.

On the Rhino bars are 2 x 4.2 mtr open water Perception Kayaks.

Plus stuff in the draws.

We towed an Ultimate Offroad Camper fully laiden (1300kgs) through the Outback of QLD, over to the Gulf Country, and up to Cape York, fuel consumption was not a problem.

It was as good if not better than the Toyota advertised blurb.

Didn't even know the Ulti was on the back.

The suspension upgrade is in prep for the ATV2 coming July, 2011.

Tomorrow I go back to ARB for the Tunit Engine Chip, 3in Beaudesert exhaust system & 160ltr long range fuel tank.

I'm getting rid of the 'Mail Box' and putting on the Safari Snorkle Head to ram some clean air into the engine.

Our total fuel capacity will be 250ltrs, that should see me through most situations.

ARB just Love me!! Should have bought shares in the company.

I'm very happy with the vehicle. The turbo makes quiet a difference.

I stepted out of a Landrover Discovery V8 petrol with some mods & cons, and in doing that I had twice the performance to a litre of fuel.

Sounds good even though we are talking diesel v's petrol.

I'm hoping for more performance in both torque / horsepower with a bit of fuel economy.

Sounds like a contradiction of terms to me!

I mention all the above (garb) to give some realistic term to load being carried, and performance of vehicle.

Anyway, we will see what I have after tomorrow, and again after we stick 3.4 tonnes on the back of the old girl. :shades:

Hope this helps you.

Safe travels

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Richard and Celeste

We have a 2008 GXL Landcruiser Ute 4.5 V8 with a Beaudesert 3 inch system no muffler and nil chip,( so far) and towing a 21ft Topender which we picked up in July last year.We are curently travelling around Australia working when necessary. We run the ute at maximun load complete with boat, tools and outboard motor etc, the van weighs app. 3500kg loaded.

We are not ones to kid ourselves with fuel economy, as we are living the dream and loving this great country, we average 4 kilometres per litre on a standard day sitting on 90 klms in 4th. gear, the best has been 4.5 with a tail wind.We thought it was excessive at first however after talking to fellow travellers with 200 series and F trucks or silverados it is not that bad.

I am currently looking at a MODULE as opposed to a chip purely for better economy as the POWER at present is no problem, hope this helps.

Regards Mark and Simone

Hi Gary and Kaye. Sorry for taking so long to reply to your info. Been busy and I'm still working. Not lucky or old enough to be traverling full time. It sound's like you are happy with your GXL Toyota ute. Maybe you should buy shares in ARB, sound's good :.) We are happy with our Nissan Patrol. It pulls our topender no worries as long as the BP tanker is still in the revision mirrorand keepting up to us. This is our second patrol. We had a 4.5 litre petrol patrol before we bought this one last year. We had up graded from a camper trailer to a topender when we discovered that the the 4.5 Nissan's towing capacity was 3.2 tonne so we up graded to this new 4.8 litre petrol. It's a great tow vehicle but has not got the fuel distance we were hopingfor. We can only get close to 300 km out of a tank of fuel and we are planing a trip over to the Kimberly in August September for 8 weeks. We are very happy with our topender it tows well and is very comforable. It took 3 years to make up our mind and a number of trip to the caravan show and to the Kedron factor in Brisbane. The staff at the factory are really good to deal with. I'm a fairly fussy person and I was happy with their service. We had a small problem with the seal around some of the windows and Kedron flew a tradesman up to Townsville to fix our problems. Could not ask for better service than tha! We were looking at buying a ATV but decided on the topender. We have our patrol up for sale and are hoping to buy a Toyota ute as there is only the two of us. Have been talking to some Toyota dealers and they are telling me that there is a shortage because they were wiped out through the sunami in Japan. So we are hoping that we will pick up one before we leave to go to the Kimberlys. Good luck with your new van and safe travels. +Richard and Celeste

Hi Richard & Celeste,

Just thought I would bring you up to date on the Landcruiser, just incase you drift off into that vehicle direction.

I went back to ARB (not to buy shares) had the Tunit Chip, with the Beau Dessert 3in exhaust fitted, and the 160ltr long range fuel tank. Total capacity 250ltrs.

Got rid of the Mail Box on the snorkle and replaced it with a Safari Head, to help ram that air in.

The difference in vehicle performance is remarkable, I'm very glad I did the upgrade.

I'm hoping that fuel economy will be kind to me when I have something heavy to tow. I have no fuel stats for you at this point, but power is amazing in all gears and rpm.

It's a different truck, and I still have two power settings to use, but I don't need to use them. Power setting 7 is all I need.

Hope all goes well with your travels

Cheers

Hi Richard,

I have a LC 76 GXL wagon 4.5 V8 and I would not swap it for the world. I tow a 21 Ft external Top Ender and it does it with grace. The fuel consumpsion is not towing 12 Lt per hundred KM and towing 20Lt per hundred which about the same as my old 4.2 Troopie. however it tows with ease. You could not do better for the money.

Tex

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Richard,The best is around 6 kilometers per lt but to get that you have to be taking it pretty easy and no head wind. Worst case sitting on 95 k per hr returns no lower than 4.9k per lt.

Letting the tanks go to just on empty they will take 70 ltrs each or very close. Both hold 90 ltrs each going by the book.

Best i have done is 460 from a tank( 74 ltrs ) but that was sitting back and taking my time . Possibly a bit of tail wind.

Sitting on 95 so as not to hold up traffic 99% of the time will give 360 kilometers for 70 ltrs.

Problem is you have to keep an eye out to see which way the trees are blowing to know if you have a head or tail wind. Power is not a problem.

If i lost the ute tomorrow, i would line up for another one.

They are common rail ( as are all diesels from some time in 2007 ) and where you will get away with less than clean fuel and maybe a bit of water contamination with the Nissan, a common rail motor is not as forgiving and bad fuel can hurt the hip pocket.

If we can be of further help , just ask.

Den and Col

Hi Den and Col.We have just sold our nissan patrol wagon and have place a order with Toyota for a GXL ute. Hoping to get better fuel consumption . We were looking to take our van up to Port Douglas for the long weekend [Queens birthday]. But sold it the a few days before , still went but booked in to a cabin.Are you happy with yours.Toyota tells me that it will be here around the end of September October .So not heading over to the Kimberlys this year but instead we will be heading out to longreach and then on the Carnarvan gorge Sunshine coast area. Next year to the kimberlys. Cheers Richard and Celeste

Hi Richard, still very happy with the ute. Still of the opinion that if i lost it tomorrow i would front up to buy another one.

Approx 8 weeks and we should be able to get rid of any cobwebs that may be in the exhaust as the new ATV should be ready and that will add another half a ton swinging off the tow bar. Just remember the right foot controls the fuel consumption. Have just changed the factory shocks on the rear and its something that should have been done a long time ago. Now will replace the front.

If you are fitting a Toyota towbar , just be aware that Toyota dont warrant the chassis if you use a hayman reece WDH. Their hand book recommends using a WDH but they dont make one , therefore if you use one it is a non genuine WDH and no warranty. Speaking from personal experience.

Just keep an eye on the towbar mounting bolts for tension.

In Bris at the moment to finalize plans for the van.

Safe travels,

Den and Col