1000lb WDH

dondelta

Hello Mick,

Most all hitch recievers in the 2 to 4.5 tonne range, are all the same size in dimensions.

Sometimes you made have to grind/round ever so slightly the edges of the input shaft to make it a comfortable fit.

The only trouble you may run into is the location of the lock pin hole, this sometimes stops you from fitting different attachments such as the tamers because there isnt enough room left between the hitch and your reciever.

A tape will quickly take care of that issue.

Hope I haven't confused you with my merry go round answer, head not working to well at present. :laugh:

Cheers and Safe Travels

Greg and Judy

Mick are you presently in Bowen?

I might be able to help you out with a hitch already set up to take the 6 tonne McHitch and will accept your RockTamers.

G'day Havago

Yes in bowen. I'm keen do do something to get rid of the hyland and the pic of 1000lb WDH shows the shaft as having a moulded curve towards the bussines end. My 750lb Hitch is on the limits of suggested capability and I want to retain WD bars for higher speed bitumen running. I will struggle to reduce pin weight to below 300kg. I would certainly be interested in buying a good 2nd hand hitch. Thanks for the reply.

Cheers Mick

Hi Mick

I have a 6t McHitch and use WDH , I carry a 450kg quad bike on the back and a 4m tinnie up top, I dont know what my vans ball weight is,lots I'm sure, but with the bars under tension, I made a wide U turn and then found later that I have bent the clamps that attach the bars to the draw bar. I think because the pivot points are not in line with each other on the turn the bars pushed the clamps back and the bolts gouged the inside of the draw bar. I am going to continue using the WDH as it improves the ride and handling of my truck.

Just be mindful of sharp turns with the McHitch and WDH fitted.

Cheers Phil

Hi Phil,

Sorry all, don't wanna hijack the topic, but have you changed the angle of your hitch to allow for a gretaer length of chain to hang between the bars and the chain hangers (clamps). I did exactly the same thing as you when we were in Lightning Ridge, but all seems a lot better now that the hitch has been adjusted. (See the Hayman Reece website for the adjustment). BTW, I also rivetted a small length of 316 stainless plate to the inside of the A-frame to stop the bolt from gouging the steel.

Regards

Chris

G'day Havago

Yes in bowen. I'm keen do do something to get rid of the hyland and the pic of 1000lb WDH shows the shaft as having a moulded curve towards the bussines end. My 750lb Hitch is on the limits of suggested capability and I want to retain WD bars for higher speed bitumen running. I will struggle to reduce pin weight to below 300kg. I would certainly be interested in buying a good 2nd hand hitch. Thanks for the reply.

Cheers Mick

Mick, PM sent with my number.

Cheers

Hi all.

Is there any reason (geomentry) why the chain hangers can't be raised to allow for the use of more chain links without changing the headstock angle. This would keep the toes of the bars further from the ground whilst allowing slightly greater articulation. My current set-up is the minimum 4 working links which even with the hyland gets very tight in moderate turns.

Regards Mick.

Hi Chris

Thanks for info re chains and headstock, I have not done any adjustments yet.

I weighed the ball weight today and found it to be 350kg with no fuel in jerry cans or gas in bottles.

So I have ordered the 1000lb unit today..

I have not seen a 1000lb unit and can not find any pic's either,,Hoping it will help with the load.

Has the stainless steel helped ?. Do the bar clamps still move ?. Do you use the 750lb or 1000lb unit ?

Twenty Questions

Cheers Phil

Hi Phil,

Send me a email if you want to try a 1000lb unit out (can also send you any pic's you might want), I'm surprised you don't have one already as I was told that I had no option but to have 1000lb with the 6t hitch. You,will need to make sure you get the adaptor plate from McHitch, apologies if you already knew that or you have another hitch.

Cheers

John

Hi John

I wasn't told I needed the 1000lb WDH with 6t McHitch,I will give you a call this week or weekend if thats ok..I would like to see it.

I will order the new adaptor plate from McHitch as the one I have has been welded to the existing hitch. I had forgotten that, Thanks John

Cheers Phil

Phil,

That's interesting not being told, I was not given an option, once they actually figured out they could not use the 3.5t hitches, 1000lb hitch seemed mandatory.

Your welcome, when ever it suits you to come and look I'll probably be here.

Hi Phil,

It was not an option for the 750 bars. I already had a set and have since sold them. Yes, the stainless does work, however there is not as much movement now, if any it seems. I originally had 5 links hanging loose, now only 3 after the adjudsment of the head.

Hope this helps.

Chris