Planning a trip to Lake Eyre

Trish and Carl

Hi All,

We are planning a trip from our home base - Sydney to Lake Eyre in June/July for around 4-5 weeks. If anyone has any tips about places that you think we shouldn't miss then it would be great to hear from you. We are thinking of heading towards Bourke on the way out then coming back through Broken Hill or vice versa. Still no firm plans so any info would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Trish & Carl :biggrin:

Hi Trish & Carl,

I and a group of friends will be out that way early August if all the tracks dry out and the roads open up after major repairs. We'll be leaving our vans at Birdsville, going down the Birdsville Track, back up the Oodnadatta Track and across the Simpson Desert. I don't know where you plan on accessing Lake Eyre but I can recommend heading out from Maree to Muloorina Station where you can camp beside a beautiful bore fed lake for $10/night. There's a flushing toilet there but that's about it and the birdlife is amazing. You drive north of here for about 40 klms past South Lake Eyre and arrive at the southern end of North Lake Eyre. The tide should be in by then as there are still flood waters heading that way I'm told. It's pretty isolated out there so take some form of emergency communication or an EPIRB at least.

Have a great trip and let us know how you go. :thumbsup:

Hi Trish & Carl,

I and a group of friends

Sorry to have to do this, But! yes always a but! I thought it was my duty to bring to everyone's awareness the typographical error in Glen's reply above which could be misinterpreted as if to believe Glen has a group of friends.

Everyone should recognize the correct interpretation of the above.

As Glen per say does not have any friends, he is paying an assembly of other peoples friends to accompany him. :shutup:

Sorry mate didn’t want anyone especially Nev, Rod, Bob and the others getting the wrong idea.

............................................................................................................................................................

Hi Trish and Carl

Sorry for kidnapping your post but felt I should clear up any misconceptions.

Judy and I do hope you have a safe and enjoyable trip. :thumbsup:

Take plenty of warm clothes for the nights as it is often around the zeros of a night ..... but nice warm days

Hi

thanks for the tips and we will definitely be packing the winter woolies!

We thought we would head out from Maree to Muloorina Station but I wasnt sure if it was only tent camping and we would have to leave the van at Maree and do day trips so thanks as we had heard that its a great spot to camp.

Looking into emergency equipment as well - Sat phones ?? or EPIRB - Still researching

Hmmmmm

Anyway again thanks and Glen hope you have a great trip too even if they say you dont have friends! :thumbsup:

Trish & Carl

Hi Trish & Carl

We have an Irdium sat phone we keep in the car and if needed we can take the sim card out of our phone and put it the sat phone, We are with telstra and also have the larger size sim card, have heard of others not working though

Good Luck

Phil

Hi Trish and Carl,

We have an Inmarsat iSatPhone Pro. Their subscription plans suited us best, opting for a prepaid plan that allows you to keep credits for 24 months, call rates are a bit higher but you are not locked into monthly cost. If you travel remotely for enough time each year you may be able to get Sat Phone Subsidy from Fed. Govt.

As a backup we have a couple of FindMeSpot devices, not quite PLB or EPIRB's but have the advantage of being able to be programmed to send a fixed message via satellite to someone of your choosing. It can also allow others to track your progress and does provide emergency response (subscribed services required for some features).

We have tested both of these options and are very happy.

Enjoy the trip, it's on our long list....

John

Trish, Carl what are you actually wanting to do? Broken Hill is some 600 ks from Lake Eyre. If you do decide you want to reach Lake Eyre---Prarie Hotel at Parachilna serve some great road kill meals--take away packs also. Farina Ruins 40ks south Maree is a must $5 per person hot showers,toilets GRASS sites. Lyndhust drive 2 ks up Stezelecki Track visit Talc Alf (outback gentleman) this will take up hour or two.Flights over lake can be taken from Leigh Creek, Marree, William Creek , Coober Pedy current cost $250 per person 1 1/2 hr flight from Marree, William Creek. William Creek flights take in more of the North lake than from Marree.

Halligan Bay on the North lake is approx 70ks from William Creek and is currently very corrugated for last 40 ks.

hope this is what you are looking for

Brian

last phone service at Leigh Creek, plenty of motorist on roads for assisatance . Lyndhurst has the RAA recovery serviceman (flat bed) if you are really worried

Brian and Liz,

We arrived in the Barossa today and plan on spending a couple of days in each of the Barossa and Clare before heading for the Flinders Ranges and hopefully a flight over Lake Eyre. You last post is very interesting to us.

Do you have any advice for us given that wqe will head into the Flinders next weekend? We are very unfamiliar with this country.

Regards

Colin! was that you we missed at Loxton on Monday? Warren Gorge out of Hawker has plenty of camp spots

20ks of dirt road, Kanyarka ruins 15ks south Hawker is interesting(give you a scope of hardships faced)

In Flinders make a base at either Rawnsley Park or Wilpena and do day trips mud maps can be obtained at Rawnsley if staying there . Willow Srings has bush camping with showers,toilets(no power) IF yes IF they have reopened SKYTEK (on willow spring ) spend the $55 and have a magic day of fabulous senery and good 4wd takes approx 6hrs and must be started before 10 am

Brian

Guys,

My personal choice for the Flinders area is definately Rawnsley Park. It has great walks to do and they are fantastic people.

The Skytrek tour on Willow Springs Stn is well worth the money also but allow most of the day to do it.

As for the Birdsville Track, There is a great privately owned ($5.00) place to camp about 30k before Maree called Faria Ruins and there is another place about 50k past Curdimurka Sideing called Coward Springs. It is a great place to stay and have a dip in the thermal waters.

Have a great trip