Hot Water Diode

MADOG

G'day Team,

I have a note in my PDA that talks about replacing the hot water diode in our Suburban (240v/gas) hot water service every 12 months. The issue of regularly enjoying quality shiraz continues to diminish my memory cells, however the bit that still works recalls that someone said these gadgets die after "x" period of time and one should replace them every 12 months.

Our TopEnder is now just 12 months old so team, where to from here?

Do I need to change this gizmo and if so where do I source one? (by the way...where is it?)

Would appreciate help on this one.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Roger

Hi Roger

Easy job to do you can source the diodes from any caravan parts place and then if you look under the external cover you will see the nut that requires to be removed you will know this when you get the new one it is unmistakable.

Here is a good link on how to change the anode

http://www.around-oz.com/diy_mh/diy_sacrificial_annode.htm

I changed mine after 12 mths and in my opinion would have been Ok for another 12 mths I have kept it as a spare

G'day Kimbo,

Thanks for that information - I will be right now for sure - the learning curve just took an upwards turn.

While here, another question. How does one post one's ugly face in one's personal profile area. Seems to be a good idea to help identify all these people we are talking to and allow others to identify us.

Regards,

MADOG

Roger thats Ok I think from memory that the diodes are about $29 but not certain of that

To place a pic you go to "My Controls" top right hand side and click on that then you will see all your controls there to add the pics

hope this helps if Im wrong webby will surely come to help here LOL

Currently I am in Mackay for a few weeks visiting the son and isnt it steamy here, but as I have been invited out at the weekend on a fishing trip out too the reef Im sure I will be able to handle that and the heat for a while longer. :thumbsup:

Its just the 110 klms out to the reef that worries me a little I will make sure there is a life jacket for me.

I will post some pics as soon as I can off the catch

You are correct Kimbo.

Under My Controls, then Change Personal Photo.

It would be good for everyone to put a pic in there so we can all put faces to postings. Preferably a pic of your face and not your rig though.

Please keep the size to a minimum - I think the limit is 150 x 150 pixels.

Cheers

Thanks Kimbo & Webby,

My brain must have been in neutral - have been to that page before. Very simple and now done.

Pic is Chris and I with a camel - we have an attraction to camels - I proposed to Chris on one while on Cable Beach. Hope Misty the wonder dog doesn't get jealous.

Very hot down this way today - we have all crawled under a rock and probably won't come out until Saturday given it is going to be another scorcher tomorrow and a record breaker shaping up for tonight.

Good luck with the fish Kimbo, looking forward to the pics.

MADOG

You will need a 27mm socket to get the anode out of the hot water system. Sometimes they may need changing sooner depending on the quality of the water used.

Arrow caravans or Camec have them in Brisbane so a caravan accessories place near you would be a start.

Open flat on hot water system and unsrew anode (its a big nut towards the bottom) 27mm required .