Savannah Way - Road Advice

Chris

We are currently in Darwin and want to travel the Savannah Way in late June. Last year we were foiled by road closures after a heavy wet season and they have again had a lot of rain this year. But we are hoping it is open.

I have been using this website for road condition reports? There are a few cautions and closures in the area. http://www.ntlis.nt.gov.au/roadreport/region.jsp?name=katherine.

Does anyone have up to date information or recent experience on the Track?

Chris

We are currently in Darwin and want to travel the Savannah Way in late June. Last year we were foiled by road closures after a heavy wet season and they have again had a lot of rain this year. But we are hoping it is open.

I have been using this website for road condition reports? There are a few cautions and closures in the area. http://www.ntlis.nt.gov.au/roadreport/region.jsp?name=katherine.

Chris

Hi Chris

Last year I found the official web sites about Savannah Way road conditions misleading and not helpful apparently tending to discourage users until the roads were fully repaired.

I found out what was really happening on arrival in Burketown and talking to locals and others who had just completed the trip West to East allowing us to start out on June 12th crossing the main obstacle of the Calvert river on June 13th.

We could not do the leg over the Roper bar as it was still flooded.

If you want to do the Roper leg I suggest simply driving that way and ask, if not drive to Borroloola and ask about the rest of the Savannah Way. The chances are by the end of June it will be driveable.

Be careful at the Calvert as I talked to someone who arrived there and was directed by road repairers to drive straight across the deepest part and consequently got a car and van full of water. He took their word and didn't get out and walk the crossing for himself.

Cheers

John

Chris

Hi Chris

We arrived in Katherine yesterday. We travelled from King Ash Bay via Booroolooa then onto Lorrella Springs and followed the road to Tomato Island, Roper River.

Not sure is road is open to Burketown as we were told it has a detour. Good fishing along the way. Check at Cape Crawford if road is open. If not you will b better to go via the Barkley as we had to on the way up.

Hope this helps.

Jewel and Rob

Thanks Jewel and Rob.

This is helpful. Are you coming on up to Darwin?

Chris