Prodigy Brake Controller

Deb and Geoff

Hi Deb and Geoff

Dont know nothing of the v2.6 ?? as I thought there was only the one prodigy too my knowledge and if this is the same unit that I know of I have one in my 100 series and can highly recommend them as unit with 3 settings that can be changed just by the push of a button and are very easy to use.

Do you have a link to the V2.6??? or maybe just a bit more info??

Hi Kimbo

The Prodigy Brake controllers I spotted on e-Bay they are $149.95 Buy Now plus postage of 12.50 all up $162.45 , I just checked sidewinder they are $175. Thanks for the info though Brian and Lis at least it gave me an idea of price. Not much in it .

Thanks guys

We have had a prodigy fitted to 100 series for about 2 yrs. Had no problems works brill,brillli,realy,really good. :thumbsup:

regards

Rick & Lea

I previously had a Voyager controller and went to a Prodigy - big improvement especially when emergency braking as the Prodigy senses you are braking harder and therefore applies more braking power to the van whereas the Voyager would just apply whatever it was set to. Prodigy also has boost settings which is great for heavy vans as it applies the brakes a bit more to the van than the tow vehicle (if you can understand that) - helps stop jack knifing.

IMO the Prodigy is well worth the money. :thumbsup:

Cheers

Darryl

Val has just this morning installed the new Prodigy brake controller. I will report on its progress when we actually get to hitch the van and move (another week?).

Chris

Thanks Darryl & Chris,

I know with the HR controller I have at the moment, I have to sometimes manually adjust the controller when coming back into towns to prevent the brakes grabbing too much, then again when I get out on the highway to apply a bit more force. Have you noticed this behaviour with the Prodigy?

Also there were some issues with one of the Techonsha controllers before where the brake lights would come on intermittently - was it a Prodigy?

I have also noiticed there are different versions of the Prodigy floating around - v2.4 and v2.6 come to mind.

Darryl, which version do you have?

Chris, which version did Val just install? I'd be interested to hear your reports, as it may just slip into my time frames.

Thanks in advance for your help.

David

I also own a Prodigy. I dunno about newer models, however I like mine because it has 3 push button boost levels, great when your hurtling down Cunninghams Gap. It also lets you know that your connected. This was particulary important when I first got our van. The brake wire was rubbung on the drum and shorting out. The Prodigy kept telling me there was an error otherwise I may not have known of the problem until I was in a hard braking situation. :helpsmilie:

Rosco

:thumbsup:

Hi David,

Yes we purchased a Prodigy V2.6 controller , we picked it up yesterday and Geoff is fitting it this week-end , I was impressed with the neat little DVD you receive with it giving details on instalation etc. I mean if I had read the instruction manual I would have no hope in understanding what this little unit does , But after watching the DVD it all makes sence (I am but a mere female ).

We are off to Crabbes Creek on the long week-end so we will let you know how the unit went but from all the feedback I feel confident we made the right choice .

Thanks for your replies everyone.

Chris & Val, I'd be interested to know your thoughts on the difference between the new and old controillers when you get on your way again.

Geoff & Deb, will also be keen to hear your thoughts on the setup on your long weekend trip.

I like the idea of the disconnection status - non of that on the current HR controller, but you can feel the brakes, but wouldn't know if one was out. Does the prodigy analyse the current and detect if one is not working, does anyone know?

It sounds like the Prodigy is the way to go.

I can wait until next week before I go ahead - I'll get it fitted when I get the camera reinstalled.

David

I have a voyager and I had my brakes lights come on, after much checking i put the voyager level as it had been tilted up when cleaning the truck out, But the question is? is my Voyager faulty or is the only thing that happens is the brake light comes on. (wasnt hooked up to the van at the time)

Regards

Frank

I had the same issue and I think you will find it faulty.

I did the recall thing and the faulty voyager was replaced by a new voyager and it is still at home in the box and I bought a new prodigy which is far suprior IMO.

I know of others who had the same probs with the voyager and did the recall and they were replaced with a prodigy free of charge so you can be lucky

prodigy is the way to go in my opinion

Regards

David (cvtripper)

We have now travelled with the new controller, and it is very smooth. A huge improvement on the old one. We appreciate the readout too.

Chris

Well we are home from our week-end away using the new Prodigy V2.6 , It took just a short time to adjust and get use to reading and changing the setting and I will say it is really worth the money , I could feel the difference in the braking immediatly . Once the setting was where it needed to be we did not need to touch it again .

Thumbs up from me

Geoff :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone, especially Deb & Geoff, Chris & Kimbo.

Bought the prodigy and installed in last weekend in the new 200 series, together with the rear view camera and fridge wires etc while I had the car in bits all over the garage....

Adjusted the HR WDH yesterday morning and decided it was only right to give it a test run up to Somerset Dam for an overnighter.

The prodigy was far superior compared to the old HR controller.

To hear the rave on the 200, you'll have to find the other post :biggrin:

So, thank you to all.

David