Topender

Mark and Simone

Hi all, has anyone else had any trouble with the Hayman Reese towbar when towing a 21 foot Topender,as you can see by the attached photo we have cracked the weld on the hayman Reese tube attached to the box section of the towbar, this is the tube which houses the tongue.

Had this detached fully from the vehicle the van would have dropped on to the road as the Safety Chain shackles are also attached to this section.Relying on the emergency brake to stop momentum.

We are mindful of weight as all Kedron Topender owners are being in the High weight zone, the "A" frame has the standard 2 jerry cans filled, 2 x 9kg. Gas Bottles filled,and a trailer mate jack. The boot only has the 3of factory fitted batteries c/w inverter and solar charger and 2x light fold up chairs.

Under the bed is the usual clothes ,Dreampot etc. nothing of extreme weight, all my heavy gear rides in tool boxes on the ute.We have the 6 tonne McHitch fitted and run WITHOUT the weight distrubution bars attached, The Cruiser Ute has Airbag suspension and upgraded springs, any clues??.

we are currently laid up in a small town and when mobile I will have the whole rig over the weighbridge to prove exact weights. Regards Mark and Simone

post-1168-0-75395600-1313906233_thumb.jp

Hi Mark and Simone

We have a Topender at the moment and have not seen that problem you have before. We tow with an F250 and upgraded our tow bar to the 4.5 t version. I weighed our van at easter time this year on our way to Ningaloo and it was 4.3t. I would be very careful on loading up your van !!!, Not telling you to suck eggs, they are just HEAVY...

Your tow bar proves that..

Good luck

PHIL

Thanks for the heads up Mark & Simone.

We have been keeping a close eye on our tow bar bar (Hayman Reese) since van upgrade in early June this year.

Our tare was 2840kgs on an 18'6" van.

We have just done a run to Perth from Brisbane and before departure ran the rig over the weigh bridge fully loaded.

Our weight was 3540kgs with a draw bar weight of 280kgs. We were pretty happy with this result but are mindful of the 3500 rating on our 100 series tow bar.

I did replace the mount bolts (on the tow bar) and did a close inspection of all areas of the bar and mounts before this trip but the weight leaves us too close for comfort on an off road van for my liking.

Vigilance is the only answer for these heavy vans until we can upgrade the tow tug.

Regards and again thanks for your info.

Hi Mark and Simone

We have a Topender at the moment and have not seen that problem you have before. We tow with an F250 and upgraded our tow bar to the 4.5 t version. I weighed our van at easter time this year on our way to Ningaloo and it was 4.3t. I would be very careful on loading up your van !!!, Not telling you to suck eggs, they are just HEAVY...

Your tow bar proves that..

Good luck

PHIL

Thanks Phill, we are currently modifying the towbar and will head directly to a weighbridge to confirm weights.

Thanks for the heads up Mark & Simone.

We have been keeping a close eye on our tow bar bar (Hayman Reese) since van upgrade in early June this year.

Our tare was 2840kgs on an 18'6" van.

We have just done a run to Perth from Brisbane and before departure ran the rig over the weigh bridge fully loaded.

Our weight was 3540kgs with a draw bar weight of 280kgs. We were pretty happy with this result but are mindful of the 3500 rating on our 100 series tow bar.

I did replace the mount bolts (on the tow bar) and did a close inspection of all areas of the bar and mounts before this trip but the weight leaves us too close for comfort on an off road van for my liking.

Vigilance is the only answer for these heavy vans until we can upgrade the tow tug.

Regards and again thanks for your info.

Thanks Rod for your reply, I will be interested to see the results of our weighbridge, when I can modify this towbar to drive it there.

Hi Mark & Simone we are waiting for delivery of our new landcruiser ute GXL late September we should pick it up. We to have a 21 foot topender and I'm glad you raise this point. Are you happy with your landcruiser ute, what is the fuel economy like pulling your weight. Was this a hayman reese bar or a genuine toyota towbar, as we are getting a toyota bar. We have also weighed our van and our weight was 3560kgs with all water tanks full but not the jerry cans [not shaw about the tow ball weight] But will be putting it across the way bridge before taking off in November. We are also looking at puting air suspension on the back. Is there any think else that I should know or consider about my new tow vehicle .Thanks for the heads up. safe traveling. Thanks Richard & Celeste

post-1076-0-77302500-1314008881_thumb.jppost-1076-0-03924000-1314008923_thumb.jppost-1076-0-36358400-1314008952_thumb.jpHi Mark and Simone, another area to keep an eye on is the rear cross member, both ends. I have the toyota tow bar fitted and had cracks develop on the top and bottom cnrs at the end of the cross member. My fault as i was relying on dealer servicing and the mounting bolts were not tight enough and caused excess strain on the cnrs. I beleive the Hayman Reece bar attaches differently, and was told by Toyota that i should have fitted the HR tow bar to go with the HR WDH. No warranty of course. Use of non genuine WDH, and Toyota don't have one but reccomend using one in their hand book.

Have travelled another 40,000 k with no problem.

Looking at the photos , i must have had rose coloured glasses on when ever i hitched up not to have seen them earlier. Part of regular maintainence now. The van at the moment is 3 tonn and 300 kg on the ball.

Safe travels.

Den and Col

Hi Mark & Simone

I have a 2006 17' 6" topender & when full Weighs 3780KG, the tow vehicle was a toyota 100 series V8 cruiser with a genuine toyota bar. Whilst i have had no cracking, the eyelet where the locking pin goes through is starting to elongate due to the strain of the weight of the van.

Due to similar weight issues as Mr Wato & i suspect others & the tow bar issue, I am in the process of upgrading to a Chevy silverado 3500HD with a tow capacity of 4800kg & a 4.5 ton tow hitch.

Kind regards

Dave