Towing Mirrors

Gary and Kaye

Hi Folks,

I'm wanting to improve my towing mirror situation.

Currently I'm using the mirrors that came with the Toyota Landcruiser Cab/Chas 70 series.

These mirrors have been slightly modified by an additional hole that's been drilled into the arm giving further extension to see down the side of the van.

I have looked at some of the products currently available on the market, but due to the way they attach or the shoddiness of the product I'm reluctant to purchase.

Also, I'm not wanting to drill holes in my vehicle.

Has anyone seen or are currently using mirrors which ractchets onto the door, or have a magnetic pad.

Do they vibrate in the wind, or rub your duco off? or cause problems with the window rubber seals.

Appreciate your reply's

Safe Travels

Hi Gary & Kaye,

We tried the ratchet strap mirrors, and they almost destroyed our windows with the scraping and noise they used to make whenever you had to put the windows up and down. If you want some to try, we still have them out in the shed.

We eventually bit the bullet and went for the Clearview mirrors. See discussion here

Not cheap, but worth every cent in our opinion.

Hi Sue & Ann,

Thank you for the reply I will 'PM' you about your Towing Mirrors of old.

Hope all is going to plan with the new van. Please send a copy of the Layout.

All the best to you both.

Regards

Gary & (Kaye)

Hi Gary and Kaye, we have the same vehicle and i have overcome the problem by replacing the "v" shaped bracket that the mirrors are mounted on with one that is extended a bit further out by about 2 inches. If not towing the van we pull the arms in a bit. It is a compromise but we are happy with it.

Den and Col

Hi Gary and kaye I'm glad you have raised the question as we are about to take delivery in two weeks time of our new GXL ute. I have been looking for a while at the travers on the road to see what they are using. I have seen only the standard mirrors on this vehicles and was hoping that they would do the job.When we picked up our van in brisbane we were towing it with a nissan patrol. Which had a recess around the edge of the mirror which worked will but I don't think that they will fix the toyota mirrors. Let me know if you fine something.Richard and Celeste

Hi Den, Col & Richard,

The modified mirror bracket you use, is this an aftermarket product, or something you have created in your workshop.

Did you have to drill additional holes.

I'm getting by with the Ben @ Kedron modification. That is drilling a hole in the outside edge of the frame. It allows that litle extra

to see down the van.

Richard, if I come across anything worthwhile I will send you a message.

Also try looking at my post on the Caravaners Forum. There is some interesting replies.

Appreciate the replies everyone. Thank you.

Safe travels

Gary & Kaye

Hi Crow,

A picture is worth a thousand words they say. I like your idea and what you have done.

On the Landcruiser 70 series we have the larger mirror wing.

Not sure that's going to be of any benifit as you can put your mirror out from the vehicle as far as your

extension is long.

Did you buy the angle and manufacture the finished product. Is it stainless or aluminium.

What did you ask for, and where did you buy the materials.

Thanks for the photo, and reply.

Safe travels

Gary & Kaye

i went to a small s/steel fabricator in my area . it is made out of 2mm plate bent 12mm at each side 250mm long. i drilled a extra hole on landcruiser mirror bracket and it works great slide it in for no van and out when the van is on .

crow

Hi Folks,

I'm wanting to improve my towing mirror situation.

Currently I'm using the mirrors that came with the Toyota Landcruiser Cab/Chas 70 series.

These mirrors have been slightly modified by an additional hole that's been drilled into the arm giving further extension to see down the side of the van.

I have looked at some of the products currently available on the market, but due to the way they attach or the shoddiness of the product I'm reluctant to purchase.

Also, I'm not wanting to drill holes in my vehicle.

Has anyone seen or are currently using mirrors which ractchets onto the door, or have a magnetic pad.

Do they vibrate in the wind, or rub your duco off? or cause problems with the window rubber seals.

Appreciate your reply's

Safe Travels

we use the cheap[ $30 ? ]clippons, clip to 4x4 mirrors ,perfect , takes just minutes we tow vans weekly more info if needed...Gini

Hi Gary and Kaye, I have made the extended "V" brackets myself, but do like the idea of fitting an extension to the top of the arm as this would be easier to carry out. By drilling the extra hole in the existing arm, and 2 holes in a flat piece of strap, mission would be accomplished. Good job Crow.

Den n Col