Fuel Figures

cvtripper

I'm interested in what fuel figures everyone is getting at the moment with their current vehicle.

We get between 25-30L/100km towing (3.5t) with a V8 petrol LC100. Not towing: 16L/100km.

I expect that will change dramatically with the new LC200 since it's a diesel and may even possible half my towing fuel bill.

What got me thinking is some of the low figures I've seen posted here http://tinyurl.com/ypatyh which appear (to me) to be unbelievable.

What figures do you have and what vehicle are you using?

It should be interesting, as I believe most here use a LC100 TD.

I'll also be interested in Kimbo's findings with the new LC200, and what he was getting with the LC100.

David

Hi David

I use 19 - 20l /100km towing but do generally sit on 95 - 100km/hr and don't baby it. Not towing around town 11.5 - 12l/100km.

TD 100 series chipped and 3" exhaust :biggrin: :thumbsup:

Cheers

Darryl

David,

Last time I took notes we were getting 17-18 ltrs / 100.

TD 100 series chipped.

I'm probably a bit light on the pedal. Towing around the 3t most of the time.

Not sure around town as she mostly sits comfy in the garage while we train it to and from work, so have never bothered to find out.

Cheers

Suzi Q light on the pedal :laugh: I couldnt keep up towing the camper too Millmerran

David as you know mine is the Pov pac 100 with a aftermarket intercooled turbo fitted and I constantly average around the 21 lts per 100 K on a good day with wind pushing me 19ltrs/100 I have records for some 30000 odd ks and can tell you I think the worse ever without checking was 23lts/100k and I constantly sit on the speed limit

And now I have just clocked up 100ks in the 200 Im very impressed dont know about the son thou he took me over to pick the new car up and on the way home he was booked for speeding (No excuse) and defected for Blue reverse light, bit petty IMO the cops up here in Mackay are deadly never seen so many in me life.

LOOKS like I will have to go outta town to test this new truck out :thumbsup: so will report more tomorrow but at the moment Im impressed.

One thing I did notice was the 6th gear was engaging when cruising at around the 100klms I think was hard to tell as the motor is so quiet you have to watch the tacho but at 100k's was sitting on 1600 rpm or there abouts

More to come watch this spot LOL

David you need to compare apples with apples , no use comparing a 16-18' cross country with a 19'6" top ender

not only because of the 500kgs in weight but also the 150mm height difference(wind catcher)of the top ender.

Kimbo's figures are getting close to yours but there is still 2' difference in length.

If you work on best figures yours 25l/100 @$1-50per litre $37-50 for 100ks kimbos 20/100@$1-50 ,$30-00 for 100ks. With the cost of the 200 td at $78.000 compared to 200 petrol at $68.000 on these figure you could travel 25-30.000ks with the van in tow while the 200td was still in the shed.

I agree after visiting the web site you have mentioned some of the figures as hard to accept however if you towed some of these vans with your V8 you may have obtained similar figures as to driving unladen.

Brian

Although Brian you forgot to mention the additional resale price of the TD compared to petrol and the advantage of 650km range compared to 400km range, the additional range could save the additional expense (roughly $5000) of a long range tank and associated rear wheel carrier.

Plus you have to allow for the great tough sound of a TD :thumbsup:

Cheers

Darryl

Dazmit with the 650k range out of the 100 series i had better keep my old hj61 and sell the 100 as Rosco can tell you at Mackay on way to cane farm i had 1575 ks out of the old girls tank admittedly she took on 213 litres

leaving 7 litres to spare .We dont need Kimbo to spend our money $300 on a fill up is quick enough.

brian

Brian, obviously you have long range tanks... I assume those figures were not towing?

I like Darryl's thinking, altough I couldn't distinguish any V8 throatiness in the sound, which would have been nice. :confused:

Thanks for you input people - I'll be expecting 19-20L/100Km out of the LC200 even with the heavier TE. I don't sit around on 90, so maybe a little more but should be around 10 litres less than, i.e. 2/3rds of, the current petrol V8 while towing. The range is what I'm after. Time will tell...

I thought I'd better take one for a test drive today. My opinion, chalk and cheese - the LC200 TTD is quieter than the petrol LC100 from within the cabin, and I thought the V8 was quiet! The auto is so smooth, and there is plenty of grunt. Couldn't even smell any diesel or hear any of the diesel rattles - which surprised me and was one of my main reasons why I had always gone with petrol in the past.

6 more sleeps.... :thumbsup:

David

No! that was with our 15'6'' (17')single axle XC(1920 kgs) IN TOW sitting around 85-95 kph g

however once we had filled up and the race was on 100-110kph trying to catch the other 3 vans i quickly dropped to around 5 ks per litre this is why i said apples for apples you need a 19'6"" topender being pulled by a 100td for comparison.

We use 16 - 20l /100km towing and generally sit on 95 - 100km/h also. Not towing we get around 10 - 12l/100km. Our van is an 18 foot (internal) ATV with 5 water tanks - they are usually only about a third full of water unless we are going bush for a while.

TD 100 series chipped (very chipped, from the Oodbadatta Track and Gibb River Road - just joking LOL) :clown:

Chris and Val

Hi David

I record every litre of fuel in our 100s td cruiser. Figures vary greatly depending on wind and loud pedal usage.I have recorded a best towing 126 l used 15.8 l/100, worst 109 l used 29.4 l/100 headwind doing110-115kph. General average over lenthy trips 18.5-19.5 l/100.

Lionel

Well.. I have just completed my figures for fuel consumption for 2007. I am not sure I should have but here it is ...

Kms travelled in the year = 25,482

Fuel cost for year = $10,323.69

29.5 litres / 100km ... or ... 3.4km / litre

Average fuel costs per month for the year = $860.31

80% of this was towing the van.

Best milage between fills = 5.5km / litre (part of this with van and part without, Wallaroo to Nuriootpa SA)

Worst milage between fills = 3.0km / litre (Sandfire Roadhouse to Pardoo Roadhouse WA, with van on)

Most paid for fuel = $1.88 at Balladonia on the Nullabor

Fuel cost to cross the Nullabor, Norseman to Penang = $639.73

We mostly travel around 90 - 95 kph. (try to keep around 2400 rpm)

4.8 Nissan Patrol (automatic, petrol), 18' (internal) XC.

Cheers

Eric and Jody

Thanks Eric and Jody,

Very interesting figures. Average 2.5km/$1. You can hear the bank account ticking over as you drive.

Hi Lionel,

Thanks for that info also. I have never heard of anyone with a TD admitting that were getting 29L/100kms, so it's refreshing to hear some honest figures.

Sounds like you have a similar weight foot to me - I tend to do the posted limit where possible. The 18.5/19.5 sounds reasonable for this type of driving and I'd be happy with that - I hope I don't see the 29 - that's around what I get with the petrol.

Thanks Chris and Val (good to meet you),

Looks consistent with most, so that is also promising. It'll be interesting to see the difference with the TE.

Thanks Brian,

I doubt there would be a huge difference due to 500kgs weight difference.

The $ figures are immaterial (to me) as a 400-450km range (while towing) is really acceptable. If I get 650-700, I'll be happy. Even on our short trip last July, one leg was 500km and I had to carry jerry cans which was a pain in the butt. Another leg was 300kms but were were staying in between, so had to carry jerry cans again so we could do some running around from the camp ground.

Are you sure about the 213L for 1575kms while towing? That's 13.5L/100km which is pretty low and most don't get much better than that NOT towing? What's diiferent about your setup?

I do like the sound of the long range tanks though. Was talking to someone tonight (I won't say names as they might not want to publish that) 240+95=335L (if I remember correctly) for their fuel capacity. That'd be fantastic. If using 20L/100km (worst) that'd be 1675km range. No need to pay for expensive fuel at outback stations!

Keep the info coming - all appreciated.

David

3 sleeps...

Hello everyone

We traded our Prado TD Sept 06 for a LC100 TD auto. Our van is a XC pop top and its weight according to public weighbridge is 2140KG.

Here are our fuel figures for the LC

Trip to Sydney - no van - averaged 10L / 100ks

General running around town 12 - 13 L/ 100ks

Towing the van at 95kph 15.2 L / 100ks

The towing figure is mainly based on a 4,000 k trip to Vic from Bris via Newell H'way and return via Cann River then up the mountain to Cooma. We have averaged 15 on other trips as well.

A truckie told me once to buy diesel where truckies buy theirs from because you then know that the fuel is going to be fresh. What amazes me about the TD is that the engine is only doing about 1800rpm at the 90-95 mark.

Love the TD and at this stage don't believe that we need to have the Dtronic fitted.

Happy travelling

Geoff and Jeanne

Guest philjul

Hi Everyone

I am going to be the odd one out. We own a LandRover Discovery 3 TDSE. We pull an XC weighing over 2800kg when on a trip. The best we had was the run from Gympie to Brisbane at 90km/h with the cruise control being used except on hills and we were amased at getting 12.9l/100km (on the car computer). We have found towing at 90-95 really reduces the fuel consumption and I can use the cruise control. As for sixth gear, ours will engage when on the highway doing 100km/h providing it is not a hill. We put the thing in D and let the computer and gearbox do the rest. We find when towing on the first morning the computer takes about 10km to settle into towing mode. Around town without the van we get 10-11 l/100km and combined country and city about 9.5l/100km. The best we had is 8.4l/100km with four adults on board and not towing, on the Gold Coast Highway at 110km/h. Plenty of power with the Disco and I can break the law pulling the van up Cunningham's Gap! I did sit on 100km/hr with the van on once and was amased at one point on the flat when the Disco went into 6th gear but that is rare.

Phil and Julie

Hi All

Just arrived home after clocking up 3000klms in the 200 series 2000klms towing the topender

I will work out the figures in the morning but at the moment I am extremely happy with the results and what a wonderfull towing vehicle it is

Keep a look out here :biggrin:

Regards

Hi David

We have a nissan patrol with a 6.5ltr v8 turbo deisel. Van ATV 18 foot 2.7 tonne.

Towing we get about 18/19 ltr per 100 but as Elle keeps telling me my right foot

is too heavy. Average travel speed is around 95 - 100 ks.

Cheers

Blackie

Guest David & Debbie

Hi David

I Hope this helps. We tow a 17'6 internal Top ender with all the excessories plus a 64 KG dismantable boat trailer with a V8 100 series kakadu. recently returned from a 9 week trip to FNQ.

Pushing hard around 110km hr we are using 26 ltr's 100km.

Cruising on level freeways at 110km hr 20 ltr's 100km

Cruising around 90 - 95 km hr though hilly areas 22ltr's 100km.

Cruising on level freeways at 90-95 km hr 18lt 100 km.

Cruising around town eg outer sydney, windsor, 13.5 lt 100 km

I generally do not push the vehicle.

Regards

David & Debbie

Guest Warren and Sue Ingram

David and Jane, thank you for starting a very interesting topic. Quite interesting to see the varied response from felllow Kedron Owners.

We have a 19' 6" internal ATV2 and are towing with a V8 100 series, we are usually around the 20-25lt/100 sitting around the 900-100 mark.

Around town where it is Sue's car running after our 3 kids it is around the 16/100 mark.

My compliance plates states that the van is speed rated for max 100klm/hr, is this the same for all the Kedrons vans?

David Debbie, I'm very interested in your 13lt/100 around town is there something you have done to the V8?

Warren, Sue, Georgia Luke and Skye

Hi All

I have been following this discussion with interest and offer my log of last years trip to collect our 17ft XC2 with a few extras to the standard spec. Tare is 2210kg & ATM 2750kg, 2 panels & 2 batteries + 3 water tanks.

Our tug is a Terracan CRDi 29lt diesel with Ironman suspension, 90lt spare fuel tank + LC70 spare wheel carrier.

The attached file shows our fuel use for the non towing trip to Brisbane including some running around. On this leg we didn't hang around doing the run in 4 days and normal cruising indicated speed was 115-120km/hr at 2800 - 2900 rev/min in 5th. The spare tank allowed us to do the run from Coolgardie to Ceduna without refuelling but I made the mistake on the return trip of not re-fuelling at the SA/WA border expecting prices after that to be similar but alas BP are rip-off merchants in WA dictating the prices of all BP fuel stations on the Nullabor.

Our first run with the van from Kedron to Forest Glen was not good suffering a collapsed wheel bearing on the van. After that the van brakes were dragging intermittently for the next 4 days affecting the fuel consumption.

Our normal cruising speed with the van on the open roads was 95 - 100km/hr in 5th gear at 2200 - 2300 rev/min.

I can't remember what the legal speed is for Cunninghams Gap but we cruised up around 90km/hr in pouring rain.

the Terracan towed the van like it was on rails even on the road through Atherton on the Gulf Development Rd and Gregory Way where we could still cruise easily around 95km/hr even when pulling of the bitumen onto the wide shoulders.

On the Nullabor we had 1 day of tail wind and a couple of days of head winds when we took it easy as it was quite easy to see fuel consumption rise.

To finish off our testing of fuel consumption we now have to do some dirt road runs.

Have fun

JohnXC852_TRIP.pdfXC852_TRIP.pdf

Guest David & Debbie

Hi Warren, Sue, Georgia Luke and Skye

The cruiser is mainly driven around town ( windsor, semi rural) by debbie with minimal usage. With all our trips, it has only done 48000 km in 3 1/2 years. There are no modifications to the engine.

just driven very sedately by Debbie.

David & Debbie

Hi all .We are now in Tassie for 2 months in the 9th month of our around O Z trip expecting to be home early June. So far on this trip with our L C 100 Sahara (2.86 ton)and our 19'6 int X C (3.56 ton) at the recent weigh in, we have travelled 23,000 km with a fuel bill of $7530.00.The sahara has done 123,000 km and all of which has been done with a Hi-Clone fitted as we had good results with a Hi-Clone on our previous 80 series 4.5 ltr Manual.We are not keeping km x ltrs used as we get a continued update on average consumtion per tank on the sahara's computer. On average we are achieving 22.5 to 24 ltrs per 100 km depending on terain but can get up to 28 ltrs with strong headwinds as we did crossing the Nullabor.We did get 20.5 ltrs per 100 on a couple of tanks down the west coast with a big tail wind.

The highest fuel prices were in remote W A and the Nullabor @ $1 79 per ltr.

We tow at arond 90 - 100 and only in 4th gear as we have proved by our computer readout that 4th gear is more ecanomical than 5th and the cruiser seems smoother however i do slip into 5th if we have a good downhill run or on the flat with a good tail wind.

Well having said all that i do envy those who are moving to the 200 TTD's but a changeover from an

immaculate 5 year old Sahara with all the bells and whistles will buy me heaps of the fuel i use over the TD.

happy travelling Geoff & Joy Burgess

Guest John & Rose

Hi just picked up our new ATV2 on Wednesday headed out west checked economy from Somerset lake to Dalby 20lt to 100klm or 5klm to lt van 3000kg 4.2lt diesel patrol 3" exhaust. We are trying to get to Moranbah to pick up the rest of our stuff to really start the rest of our lives. John & Rose in 'THE SCRUB' .