Boat Loader

bocar

Hi guys

I have a 200 Series Land Cruiser!

I have been told by a TJM store that I will only be able to fit a side loader to my vehicle as a rear loader will interfere with that over hang on the rear of the roof. Is there any truth in this and also what are the pro's and cons of the side loader versus the rear loader and which is the better?

Regards Bocar

Hi Bocar,

We have a 200 series Landcruiser and have a Rhino rear boat loader on which we carry a Quintrex 3.55 dart. Other friends have similar rigs with rear boat loaders. The dust deflector on the rear tailgate goes up inside the boat when tailgate is open. The transome of the boat is approximately 500mm behind the dust deflector when the boat is on top of the car.

Regards

Bronco

Hi guys

I have a 200 Series Land Cruiser!

I have been told by a TJM store that I will only be able to fit a side loader to my vehicle as a rear loader will interfere with that over hang on the rear of the roof. Is there any truth in this and also what are the pro's and cons of the side loader versus the rear loader and which is the better?

Regards Bocar

Just putting a different slant on this one.....

We live at a tourist destination that has a boat ramp in clear view from pretty much everywhere I work. Each year we get quite literally hundreds of Grey Nomads rocking up with the dinghy on the roof. Of those hundreds I saw just three actually take the boat off the car and use it. So, I'm wondering whether it would be worth your while posting a question such as "Do you use your roof-top boat as often as you thought you would?" The answers may or may not make you consider whether it is even worthwhile adding all of that drag and top heaviness to your vehicle. I know that when we carted a dinghy around Oz we found that, after a short while, the motivation to go through the motions of getting the dinghy off diminished dramatically.

That is why you now see a kayak on the roof off the car. It's lighter, easier to get up on the roof and secure in place (I can lift it myself) and best of all, cost nothing to run!

Cheers

Russ

Just putting a different slant on this one.....

We live at a tourist destination that has a boat ramp in clear view from pretty much everywhere I work. Each year we get quite literally hundreds of Grey Nomads rocking up with the dinghy on the roof. Of those hundreds I saw just three actually take the boat off the car and use it. So, I'm wondering whether it would be worth your while posting a question such as "Do you use your roof-top boat as often as you thought you would?" The answers may or may not make you consider whether it is even worthwhile adding all of that drag and top heaviness to your vehicle. I know that when we carted a dinghy around Oz we found that, after a short while, the motivation to go through the motions of getting the dinghy off diminished dramatically.

That is why you now see a kayak on the roof off the car. It's lighter, easier to get up on the roof and secure in place (I can lift it myself) and best of all, cost nothing to run!

Cheers

Russ

How true. My 94 year old father-in-law would come up to Karratha with his caravan and dingy on the roof every year and the dingy never came off even with many offers of help getting it down! For him it was a way that his friends would recognize him and it definately worked.

We travel everywhere with our kayaks - so much easier. I hear someone about to mention kayaks and crocs!

:lol: :lol:

Sue

Karratha

ATV

Hi All,

We are considering upgrading from our 2 person Kayak to a roof top tinnie. As far as drag I would suggest that a canoe would not be that much more fuel efficient than a tinnie. After 10,000 km we only took the kayak of 3 times - Roper River at the 12 mile, Nicholson River at Kingfisher Camp and Lawn Hill NP. Illegal to use a kayak in Kakadu from what we were told by the rangers and I didn't feel like putting it in at Shady Camp or Daly River. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Bocar. Try Almac trailers in Bundaberg http://www.almactrailers.com.au/aluminium-boat-loader.html . They have just installed a rear loading (electric winch) roof rack/loader on my LC200. The principles are very similar to the WA based company suggested above by Bryan. They custom built it (aluminium and stainless steel) to match my Quintrex 3.7 Dart. It has made loading/unloading a breeze. They are very helpful and made up some addons for the van solving a couple of problems I was still battling with