Eyre Peninsula, Here We Come

RussnSue

Hello fellow Koggers

As stated in a previous post, we are off to the Eyre Peninsula. We leave at the end of the day today (travelling just 40 Km to Karratha this evening). As promised, we have started a Blog and here is a link to it: Russ n Sue's Blog

We hope you all have a great Christmas and look forward to catching up with some of you on the road.

Cheers

Russ n Sue

Hi Russ and Sue,

What a great day; it is always exciting when you finally release the handbrake and depress the accelerator to head off with a wonderful trip ahead. Have a wonderful time.

Russ, I am interested in the reverse osmosis filter you have. If you get the time and inclination I would be interested in the details. The bladder set up looks great.

Merry Christmas and all the best for 2012.

Colin

Hi Russ and Sue,

What a great day; it is always exciting when you finally release the handbrake and depress the accelerator to head off with a wonderful trip ahead. Have a wonderful time.

Russ, I am interested in the reverse osmosis filter you have. If you get the time and inclination I would be interested in the details. The bladder set up looks great.

Merry Christmas and all the best for 2012.

Colin

Hi Colin.

We got the filter from PSI Filters. They are a Launceston Company. Here is the link: Counter top RO filter They have always offered prompt, efficient service and will air-bag the replacement filters to you. Filters last for 3000 - 5000 litres of water, depending on the quality of the water you are starting with. I usually suck river or dam water through an old sock to get most of the algae out before it goes through the RO filter.

We store ours in a fishing tackle box in the cupboard where the hot water service is mounted. Does about 400 litres per day. We push the water through with a 12 Volt, Shur-Flow, pump like the ones fitted in the Kedron. They aren't cheap but they are reliable. They recommend between 60psi and 100psi to get a decent flow rate through the filter.

Cheers

Russ

Have a safe trip guys! Any idea of your ETA in Geraldton? We are here until Dec 27 then it's a straight through drive back to Karratha as Ian has work again on the following day. looks like another 12 months up here yet - so much for retiring.

Hi Russ n Sue,

we wish you well for your Eyre Penionsula trip ..... you make us homesick.

Loik colin, I was interested in some more details on your reverse osmosis water filter and the photos in your blog. your idea may have well help me in solving the weight problem that I have whenever we head out for a long trip; I will ordere one today.

Enjoy the crabs and fish when you get there, they are better than their northern cousins.

Regards, JK.

Hi all if you are intrested you can buy the bladders from Whitworth Marine or other Marine suppliers they are a [Turtle brand]& come in all sizes we have carried a 200Lt one for 4yrs. used it while in the West & Central Aust,as we could leave the van & travel to where we could get water & fill the bladder layed out in the back of then L/C Saharah,when back at van just use in line pump to fill tanks.They are designed to carry either Diesel or Water [on Boats] & have heavy eylets in sides so they can be lashed down.I think they are on Goldcoast Qld.

Hi Russ

I to am interested in your RO Filter. How do you store it when you are traveling, eg. Do you block up the ends so no water escapes from the filter so the filters do not dry out, or is there some other thing that you do.

Would be most interested as I will possibly be purchasing one in the near future.

Regards

Gazza

G'day Gazza

We don't do anything special with the filters when we stow them away. They are shipped dry, so I'm figuring that they must be able to take drying out in their stride. We just put the whole kit and kaboodle into a fishing tackle box and then stow it in the cupboard under our 'fridge. We use it fairly often (we never put unfiltered water from any source in our tanks) so I guess it doesn't get much of a chance to dry out. When at home we always use it to filter the scheme water for our own drinking water supply, so it is permanently wet during those months.

Ian and Sue, we should be getting to Gero on the 27th or 28th at this stage, but it may be earlier if the wind is too much at Ningaloo. If you don't see a posting on the Blog, then we are still up north and will possibly cross paths with you on the road. Otherwise we'll probably update the Blog at Carnarvon as we go through and that will give you an idea of where we are at.

Nev and Kay, there are heaps of places that make the bladders. Ours is made to fit where it is so that it does not rub against any of the metal parts of the rear bar assy. You can see, in the photos, that I lined the metal parts with those rubber "postage stamp" mats that you can buy cheaply just about anywhere. It was a deliberate choice because I wanted any stones that end up there when we drive on gravel, to fall out through the holes in the mats, rather than rub through the bladder. I was a bit concerned about putting too much weight back there as I don't know how much the bar could take before it started to stress and crack. I chose the rear of the van deliberately to try and get some weight off the towball (and the rear axles of the vehicle.)

jk, I have now had the opportunity to actually get some kilometres done with the full tank in place and there is a perceptible difference in how the rig feels. (For the better.) We have self levelling air-suspension on our car and it lifts the van more quickly with the full tank at the rear, so obviously it has less weight to contend with on the towball.

Cheers

Russ n Sue

Hi Russ and Sue

We are in Kimba and planning to leave in the next day or so.

We're headed for Streaky Bay and plan to follow the coast down and around the peninsular.

Hopefully we'll catch up with you somewhere on the way.

Cheers

Simone and Mark

Hi Simone and Mark

We'll keep in touch via this forum. Also, if you follow us on our blog, you will have an idea of where we are at. We leave Geraldton tomorrow and will just be doing overnight stops until we get to Fowlers Bay.

Cheers

Russ n Sue

Hi Russ and Sue

We're currently staying at Smoky Bay in the cp. Beaut spot on the beach. Plenty of crabs and fish!!! There are also a couple here with a kayak who have been catching plenty as well.

We'll be here until next Wed 11th - then onto a free camp somewhere further down.

Cheers

Simone and Mark

Hi Russ and Sue

We're currently staying at Smoky Bay in the cp. Beaut spot on the beach. Plenty of crabs and fish!!! There are also a couple here with a kayak who have been catching plenty as well.

We'll be here until next Wed 11th - then onto a free camp somewhere further down.

Cheers

Simone and Mark

G'day RussnSue,

You should be well and truly into crab country by now so you can give your kayak a good workout catching them. Numbers should increase as the month wears on and into Feb.

Russ, I received my reverse osmosis filter just in time for Pauline to give it to me for a Christmas present :rolleyes: but to my suprise when I had a look at it and found that the inlet/outlet tubes were only 1/4" and thought that I must have ordered the wrong unit.

I then remembered the photo of your unit on your blog and another look prompted me to look further to discover that the filter threads were 1/4 BSP so I went looking for a couple of "Gardena" snap 1/4" hose director fittings; none in the shed so off to Bunnings and found some attached to Pope Capitol sprinklers which have worked a treat.

Haven't tried the system out yet as it will probably be some months before we get somewhere we need to use it and I dont want to try it and then let the unit sit for months as I am unsure of any consequences.

Regards, JK.

G'day RussnSue,

You should be well and truly into crab country by now so you can give your kayak a good workout catching them. Numbers should increase as the month wears on and into Feb.

Russ, I received my reverse osmosis filter just in time for Pauline to give it to me for a Christmas present :rolleyes: but to my suprise when I had a look at it and found that the inlet/outlet tubes were only 1/4" and thought that I must have ordered the wrong unit.

I then remembered the photo of your unit on your blog and another look prompted me to look further to discover that the filter threads were 1/4 BSP so I went looking for a couple of "Gardena" snap 1/4" hose director fittings; none in the shed so off to Bunnings and found some attached to Pope Capitol sprinklers which have worked a treat.

Haven't tried the system out yet as it will probably be some months before we get somewhere we need to use it and I dont want to try it and then let the unit sit for months as I am unsure of any consequences.

Regards, JK.

G'day JK

You are right. We are in whiting and crab country. I haven't broken out in boils from eating crabs yet.....but there's still time. See the blog for more details:

Russ n Sue's Blog

Cheers

Russ

Russ and Sue,

I am enjoying your blog. Just wish I was out there as well.

Streaky Bay has a great pie shop as an alternative to the oysters and fish. They are yummy!

Regards

Colin