how quick do mud crabs grow

sellinup

Mud crabs sounded pretty good for christmass, so we put 4 pots in yesterday morning (eairly),went back late in the afternoon for a totel of 24 muddies . To good to be true ,I hear you say. well we got 24 all right, every one a wisker under legal size . :angry:

So how quick do these tasety morsels grow ? Obviously as soon as they get to correct size somebody has them on there plate.

Regards Mal and Kerry.

Sounds like you have found yourselves a really good spot - in our experiences living in the NW of WA where there are Muddies there are midgies so dont forget to apply your Bushmans spray or two days after your mud crabbing expedition you could be slightly itchy. Gee.... what a pessimist I am and spoiling your good time to boot!

As for the muddies growing quickly - it depends on how long you want to stay there! Unfortunately they will not make legal size over night so you will just have to come back to your spot at a later date and catch them again!

Glad you are having a good time - I can't wait for March so that we can head off too!

Sue

Just noticed that you are in Hervey Bay in Queensland so kindly disregard my Bushmans reference as you probably are well aware of midgees there. Having said that I can't remember there being plagues of them when we visited last year - putting on the thinking cap now. Hmmm... Hervey Bay - pretty sure that was were I found the best ever dog friendly caravan park we had ever been to, I will have to check on my photos now and see if I am thinking of the right place. :)

Hello again sue

Depends where you are in Hervey Bay . Some places the bities will pick you up and take you back to thier home (to finish you off later). Especilly around River Heads, and at any time of day as well. But over all not really a problem.

We won't be spending a lot of time in the Bay for a while as we are on the road full time now , or at least

until we get tired of it . (as if that is going to happen) At the moment we are in Ingham spending Christmass

with the grand kids, the midges arn't a problem but the mossies are pretty fearce,so bushmans all around.

WE will most likely leave Ingham just after new year, and won't be back for aprox 8 months so those

muddies should be good by then :).

Regards Mal and Kerry.

Hello again sue

WE will most likely leave Ingham just after new year, and won't be back for aprox 8 months so those

muddies should be good by then :).

Regards Mal and Kerry.

Race you there! We will be in Albury in April and then steadily head up to N. Queensland.

Have a wonderful Christmas! Great that you are able to to sharing it with your Grandkiddies - ah.... one day that will be us! :lol:

• 9 months later...

Mud crabs sounded pretty good for christmass, so we put 4 pots in yesterday morning (eairly),went back late in the afternoon for a totel of 24 muddies . To good to be true ,I hear you say. well we got 24 all right, every one a wisker under legal size . :angry:

So how quick do these tasety morsels grow ? Obviously as soon as they get to correct size somebody has them on there plate.

Regards Mal and Kerry.

So,let me get this right. If in our travels in the outback we come across some fine lookin cattle and we decide to remove a leg from one of the afore mentioned ,will it grow back or is this just a crab thing??!! :lol::wacko:

Cheers

Rick & Lea

So,let me get this right. If in our travels in the outback we come across some fine lookin cattle and we decide to remove a leg from one of the afore mentioned ,will it grow back or is this just a crab thing??!! :lol::wacko:

Cheers

Rick & Lea

• 5 months later...

Hi everyone,

As far as I know, in Queensland, any part of a crab is deemed to be a crab in its own right. So that means keeping a claw from a jenny (they are distinctly different to a male claw), under law, that you have kept a jenny. It would be difficult to enforce the undersize law with just a claw as evidence, but it would not be worth the risk to find out.

Cheers,