Kedron GVM @ 4000kg

J Kelly

After deciding to upgrade my tow tug (Silverado), I am trying to weigh up the pro's & con's of having the Kedrons GVM upgraded to 4000kg.

I would be very interested to hear from members who have already been down this road and in particular complications if any with Qld registration.

As part of the upgrade the tow hitch has to be upgraded and would like to hear opinions of the hitches. I am aware of previous discussions and the majority seem to be in favour of the 6T McHitch but has anyone fitted one of the new platinum series?

It would also be interesting to have some reports from those who have fitted the Hitch-Ezy.

There also seems to be opinions as to whether a weight distribution hitch should be used, so a consensus here would also be of great interest.

Thanks & regards, JK.

After deciding to upgrade my tow tug (Silverado), I am trying to weigh up the pro's & con's of having the Kedrons GVM upgraded to 4000kg.

I would be very interested to hear from members who have already been down this road and in particular complications if any with Qld registration.

As part of the upgrade the tow hitch has to be upgraded and would like to hear opinions of the hitches. I am aware of previous discussions and the majority seem to be in favour of the 6T McHitch but has anyone fitted one of the new platinum series?

It would also be interesting to have some reports from those who have fitted the Hitch-Ezy.

There also seems to be opinions as to whether a weight distribution hitch should be used, so a consensus here would also be of great interest.

Thanks & regards, JK.

John,

If you don't need the full 4000kg, why not get the van rated at 3900kg ? The chassis on ours is rated at 4000kg but the van is 3500kg so it seams like an arbitrary figure based around the tow vehicles capacity. This may solve the problem of QT sticking their nose in the trough and sucking more money out of you for absolutely nothing every twelve months.

cheers

Laurie

Hi Neville,

Thanks for responding, I was hoping you would.

When I phoned QT yesterday I only got a very sketchy response with no details on how to tie up inspections if you were interstate at the time of reg renewal.

How much do QT rip you off for registering a 4000k van?

It is good to hear that you are still happy with your Hitch-Ezy now that you have been using it for quite a while - How does it handle bull dust ingression and red dirt ?

The last time I spoke with Tom at Kedron he told me that he had installed quite a few but had not yet received any feedback.

Laurie,

when speaking with QT yesterday they informed me that all vans over 3500k required the annual inspection; but I did not think to ask them if there was any cost benefit in regestering the van at 3900 rather than the 4000.

As you quite rightly point out it is better to keep the money in my pocket rather than give it to QT - my wallet has already been well depleted this week <_< .

Regards,

JK.

Hi Neville,

Thanks for responding, I was hoping you would.

When I phoned QT yesterday I only got a very sketchy response with no details on how to tie up inspections if you were interstate at the time of reg renewal.

How much do QT rip you off for registering a 4000k van?

It is good to hear that you are still happy with your Hitch-Ezy now that you have been using it for quite a while - How does it handle bull dust ingression and red dirt ?

The last time I spoke with Tom at Kedron he told me that he had installed quite a few but had not yet received any feedback.

Laurie,

when speaking with QT yesterday they informed me that all vans over 3500k required the annual inspection; but I did not think to ask them if there was any cost benefit in regestering the van at 3900 rather than the 4000.

As you quite rightly point out it is better to keep the money in my pocket rather than give it to QT - my wallet has already been well depleted this week <_< .

Regards,

JK.

Hi JK,Kedron sent papers off to QT & our Rego is due in May,so I can not say how much extra it is going to cost if any will let you know when we get our renewal.Kay was on the phone for 3 parts of an hour getting put from one person to another untill we found out about when you were out of the State what to do & then the girl asked where we lived & when Kay told her she said we would not have to do that.Tom might be able to tell you if it costs extra.Regards Neville.

Hi All.

We have a 07-08 2500 8 cylinder Silverado towing an 18.6 T.E.

Have just received our rego renewal for $1092.90 if paid by due date.

Our vehicle is registered for private use it was registered for commercial( we have bobcat etc.) but found it to too expensive to drive through toll gates/ gateway etc.

Graham recently fitted the Hitch Easy which we brought from a company in Melbourne, we brought 2( 1 for someone else) & paid $845 no delivery. The van seems to connect/tow easier not that we have done many miles since fitting.

We have looked into having the van upgraded to 4 ton, by an engineer but have decided to leave it registered at 3.5ton.

When we brought our Chev we didn't require a LR Lisence the new chev's are heavier & now require that lisence.

Hopefully this will answer some of the questions.

Safe Travelling.

Sue.

Hi all again,Dave at Kedron upgraded our Topender from 3.5 to 4 Ton.for I think $300 including new Comp.plate.This has made us okay for Insurance as when on hook we are 3400kg & off the hook 3650kg,& I believe Insurance Co. will weight off hook if in accident.It is the reg. of van that I do not yet know if it will be more expensive. Neville.

if it costs a bit extra for Rego? it is still cheaper than if one has an accident & no Insurance

.Regards Neville.

I have just had a look on QT's site and using their Equote system; 12 months rego on a van with ATM @ 4000 is $168.

Certainly not worth getting concerned about that!

Regards,

JK.