Security lights

Geoff and Pam Ward

Hi all

Has anyone had any experience with external security lights (movement detection) for caravans - 12V or 240V? The only one I can locate is manufactured by Ring Automotive in the UK and they don't ship to Australia. See details in file attached.

Does anyone know if the Ring product is reliable and waterproof? Are there any other suitable products (ie, PIR movement detector security lights) for permanent mounting on outside of a caravan?

Kind regards

Geoff & Pam

Ring security light RC7300-500.bmp

Hello Again Geoff and Pam,

I hope you have accepted my reply to your question as having a bit of fun. I see that you have only recently joined KOG and I would not want to discourage you from contributing. If I have, my apologies.

We do rely on Moet and Cherie to let us know if anyone is around the van be it by day or night. They are just noise makers and would not know how to bite or do anything like that. While we have never had an unwelcome incident when free camping it is, none-the-less, good having them around.

Being an old soldier, my tactic on security is to not camp too long anywhere. If you do, the enemy has time to reconnoitre your position, make a plan and carry it out. By moving frequently you limit the "enemy's" opportunities to spur of the moment opportune attacks and they are rare and generally poorly executed. We do not free camp too close to those country pubs.

Geoff and Pam, welcome to KOG, and please forgive me if my response discouraged you in any way.

Kind regards

Colin

Colin and Tony

Where do you plug them in??

Geoff& Pam ,there was some discussion on plug in security lights on Caravanersforum.com some time ago .Perhaps you could do a search there for security lights,or something similar.No cost to join.

Hello All.

Last year we purchased from Bunnings a Solar/Sensor/Security light, there were several to choose from.

We have mounted it at the back door of our house, it is not brilliant, it at least shows the way to where the key lock is.

Safe travelling.

Sue.

Hi Geoff & Pam,

The January 2012 issue of the CMCA magazine 'The Wanderer' has an article on a motion sensor light. It costs about $39 and is available from www.narva.com.au or call 1800 113 443.

The article states 'Designed specifically for a range of exterior applications and for ease of installation. Narva's new awning lamps are pre-wired, surface mountable and include a stylish snap together housing with a virtually unbreakable polycarbonate lens. Using the later high output 9-33 multi-voltage LED technology, the lamps feature the benefits of bright white LED light output coupled with long life performance and ultra low current drawn'.

It goes on to say there are three options available with the third option incorporation a PIR (Passive Infrared Sensor), it can be adjusted to remain illuminated between 1 second and 1 minute. 'When wiring the PIR Awning Lamp, a 3 -way switch can be used to allow the lamp to be turned on or off permanently as well as switching the señor on separately to illuminate the lamp only when the sensor is activated. Available from leading automotive, recreational vehicle and caravan outlets or go to website address above'

You would have to check if it works also on 12V if you do 'freedom camping'.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Geoff & Pam,

The January 2012 issue of the CMCA magazine 'The Wanderer' has an article on a motion sensor light. It costs about $39 and is available from www.narva.com.au or call 1800 113 443.

The article states 'Designed specifically for a range of exterior applications and for ease of installation. Narva's new awning lamps are pre-wired, surface mountable and include a stylish snap together housing with a virtually unbreakable polycarbonate lens. Using the later high output 9-33 multi-voltage LED technology, the lamps feature the benefits of bright white LED light output coupled with long life performance and ultra low current drawn'.

It goes on to say there are three options available with the third option incorporation a PIR (Passive Infrared Sensor), it can be adjusted to remain illuminated between 1 second and 1 minute. 'When wiring the PIR Awning Lamp, a 3 -way switch can be used to allow the lamp to be turned on or off permanently as well as switching the señor on separately to illuminate the lamp only when the sensor is activated. Available from leading automotive, recreational vehicle and caravan outlets or go to website address above'

You would have to check if it works also on 12V if you do 'freedom camping'.