Split fuel tank

Rusty D

I have a LC 76 series V8 Wagon and I had a long range fuel tank from Davis and Brown in Melb and it split at the back were they weld the angle peace on to bolt the tank to the vehicle. To cut a long story short Davis and Brown informed me that the 76 series toyotas have a problem the movement of the chassis and that is what caused the tank to split.The vehicle has had no off road driving only dirt road.

My question is has anyone had this issue with toyota 76 series wagon.

Thanks

I know one of the guys that started TJM and he told me that he would never put a after market tank in any of his own vehicls because of that reason.

Allways used jerry cans.

Cheers Nev

We had the original small tank removed from Sahara in Feb.2007 & replaced it with a 150 Lt tank from TJM in Cairns & have had no problems at all.I might be wrong but I do not believe the chassie would twist enough to effect the tank I would guess faulty work? We have now done 140,000 km with Sahara.

Just a thought - have your tried looking through the Toyota forums, you might find someone with an issue similar there perhaps.

We had a long range tank fitted to our Jeep Wrangler and it went all over the place off road and never had a problem - it was a long wheelbase model (4 door) and really twisted when going over the rocks off road. I would have thought that the company had a duty to repair or replace if the product proved not to be suitable to the vehicle even if it is out of warranty.

Hi Rusty D glad to see you on our site.

I strongly suggest you try the Landcriuser site as they have a wealth of info and are only to pleased to answer any questions

on all things Landcruiser

cheers Tony

Hi I have a LC76 workmate (towing a 19'6' Top Ender) with a after market tank from Long Ranger. I have travelled The Gibb River Road, The Plenty Hwy,the back Rd from Pardoo Stn to Marble Bar, and the Oonandatta Track. I have not had any problems with splitting or any other damage to the tank. I would wonder at the quality of the tank you purchased. Not suggesting that any product is better than any other, but one would wonder.

Hi Rusty. We have a 11/2009 76 Series GXL wagon. We had a Long Ranger fuel tank fitted to our wagon in January 2011 and since then have travelled with our 21 foot Top Ender all through western Qld out to Innamincka, Simpson Desert (without the van) and up to Lawn Hill. While these roads were in relatively good condition there were sections of rough corrogations and large gibber. We have not observered any damage to the fuel tank or the vehicle. We wish you the best of luck in getting your problem rectified.

Cheers ABE.

G`Day Rusty

Welcome to the sight.

On the subject of after market fuel tanks,we have had 2 over the years.Both have performed very well.One was fitted to the Troopy (75 series) for about 5 yrs. and copped a fair old battering.And the current one is on the Cruiser,fitted about 5yrs ago and no problems so far. :)

The brand on both was Longranger.So I would take yours back to the place it was installed and to stop telling you B.S.and fix it. :angry:

G`Day Rusty

Welcome to the sight.

On the subject of after market fuel tanks,we have had 2 over the years.Both have performed very well.One was fitted to the Troopy (75 series) for about 5 yrs. and copped a fair old battering.And the current one is on the Cruiser,fitted about 5yrs ago and no problems so far. :)

The brand on both was Longranger.So I would take yours back to the place it was installed and to stop telling you B.S.and fix it. :angry:

Cheers

Oops! Sorry about that ,but if you lay on your side you can read it in stereo. :blink: