Hot Water System

Gazza

Chris,

The floor plan looks great and good luck with your decision. I don't want to take anything away from your post but I have one question.

Jude and I are about to embark on the Kedron Journey. We go to Brisbane on the 11 February to order our ATV.

You mention in your post the prevous hotwater system you had was a Truma. I was going to order one for our ATV because they have a stainless steel tank and and don't have anodes to change. I was going to order a gas/electric.

Is there any resason that you would not put another one in your new TE. (Apart from the obvious - Cracked tank previous.)

Could it have been a flaw with the one you had or have you heard of others cracking as well?

Looking forward your reply.

Best wishes for the future.

Garry & Judy MUNRO

Gary and Judy,

like you I was concerned about moving from the gas/electric Truma, but have been assured that there is "chalk and cheese" comparison between them. Apparently the anode doesn't need to be replaced very often, and the tank can be emptied or cleaned out easily (allowing all that muck which collects inside to be emptied).

I gather the Truma has a propensity to cracks.

I hope Kimbo sees this discussion so he can comment here. I wonder if you can start another thread with this issue as the topic? I would like to see other's comments too.

Chris

Hi Chris

I have just skimmed you previous post to find out more about the hot water system you are getting in your new TE. I might have missed it but can't see the brand of the one you are getting.

Can you tell me what brand it will be, how many litres it holds and why gas only. Do you know if this brand also available in gas/electric.

Cheers

Jody

We are on our second Kedron and our first one had a Truma Hot water gas/electric and we had no trouble at all, but I have heard of others having cracked tanks.

Kedron stopped putting Trumas in.

Our current Kedron has a suburban gas/electric and has an annode. It is a bigger system in litres. We have had it 18 months and the annode will need changing soon.

I have been happy with both systems.

Kedron tried to talk me into just gas system but I am really pleased I stuck to the gas/electric systems.

If I am in a caravan park with mains water & power then I can have my shower in my own Kedron Caravan and not visit the showers of the caravan park. (keeping my gas for another day)

Jody,

The brand is still uncertain at this stage. I think Suburban is the one recommended by Stan at Kedron. Based on advice by others (including Lynda and Len) we think the Suburban with both gas and electric heating is the go. We will ask for it anyway.

Chris

Hi all

Well we made it back to Brissy safe and well for a short stay before heading off to Newcastle more to come on the 200 and towing later :thumbsup: Awesome thou

As for the hot water service I am like Len and Lynda we are on the 2nd van our 1st having the truma but only in gas model and it worked fine we now have the suburban in the Topender and other than being a bigger tank 21ltrs versus 14ltres we cant fault either but I do prefer the larger suburban.As far as the use of the gas 9kg bottle last a LONG time and I dont turn it off when we are camped. We can get 2 showers if we are frivoulous

I have heard of issues of tanks in the trumas failing and we did have one truma tank split with companions who were travelling with us up in the gulf maybe they might come on here and tell of the bush fix they did ??

The suburban Gas / electric models I have heard issues of the electric element snapping and laying inside the tank but cant confirm this.Seems logical to me that this could happen as the element just screws in and isnt supported so on rough rds I reckon the bouncing and unsupported heating element with age would be vunerable to snapping off Just my opinion thou.

I like things simple and easy and to me gas isnt that dear and between 6/8 weeks from 1/ 9kg bottle is easy and simple and as I steer away from van parks as much as possible the electric element IMO is a waste of time

Hope this helps

Regards

Kimbo

On dazmits puter