Cape York Trip

Fieldsie

We are presently planning a trip to Cape York in July/August of this year and would be very interested in hearing from others that have done a similar trip. We are wondering if it is feasable to tow our 16 ft 2006 X-country all the way to Bamaga along the development road. The van has a similar configuration and suspension to new ATVs.

We were also wondering if it is possible to take this rig along some of the off-roads to some of the National Parks such as Iron Range and Mungkan-Kaanju.

What other places would members recommend as "must see" places on the Cape, as well as suitable camp sites for over-night stops or a few days.

Would appreciate any advice that would be forth coming from all members.

I inadvertantly placed my last forum in the wrong area.

Thanks to Sue for finding it and replying.

John and Sandra

Hi Guys

The development road isn't a problem, we might even see you up there as we are coming over East in another few weeks. :)

Likewise we might see you guy's on the track North :D

Should be easy for us to spot you two! LOL.

We will be in Albury for the Oz Mega event (geocaching) for Easter and then we head off to who knows where - trying to work out where might not be flooded. We will see when we get there and work it all out as we go along - the main thing is that Ian will have finally pulled himself free of the three month contract that has turned into 10, LOL. They still want him back - I am hoping he enjoys himself so much he forgets to go :lol:

Fingers crossed for you Sue.

We are sure that he will enjoy the trip and decide to get on with it grin.

See ya round

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Fieldsie

Having comleted the Cape trip in June 2010 I recommend that the best time to do it is in June before the school holidays. Once the school holidays start it is a circus up there, very crowded an much less enjoyable. We have a Te and we took it all the way, right up to Punsand Bay. It was the only caravan there. The road is bound to be rough in parts and other bits will be good. Your Van will be fine. As thay say, just drive to the conditions.

I have a couple of pdf trip reports on our experience in doing the trip which I am happy to send you if you wish. It is a great trip. You will love it but I strongly recommend June as opposed to Jul/Aug. Man, those guys in 4WD's with blue and white numberplates are crazy. If you go in Jul/Aug you will understand what I say.

Also, living in Cairns, I have a couple of good Cape contacts who can generally give me a report on the road conditions. Please keep in touch

Regards

Colin

Hi Guys,

I will send you a report when we get back,

We have booked our TE in Punsand Bay for end of June, heading from the Glod Coast, up via Bloomfield, then out though Lakefield, then up the PDR,

It has taken months of reading this forum and other sites, to workout wear i can take the van, and the last bit to Punsand is what worries me,

But the adventure is half the fun,

Please feel free to say hi along the way,

thanks

Glen

Hi Colin,

Thanks for replying. I would much appreciate to read your reports on the Cape York trip.

We are reassured by many that there shouldn't be any problems taking our van up to the top of the Cape, providing the rain stops and the graders get out to grade the track, hopefully before we leave in June.

You can email your reports to my email address at johnfield54@hotmail.com if you like.

I look forward to reading them

John and Sandra

John and Sandra,

Emailed the report to you today.

Glen, I noticed that you intend taking the TE via Bloomfield. Plese ignore my comments if you are familiar with the Bloomfield Track. I have driven that track in a 4WD and, as I recall, it is signposted "Not Suitable for Caravans". While I have ignored similiar signs in other places I have curbed my desire to take my TE along the Bloomfield Track as it is very steep and narrow in several parts. Beautiful and a great drive. If you do go along the Bloomfiels Track I will be eager to read your report.

A bit of a story:

The wet season up here came late but with a vengence. Last Monday we had 200 ml of rain in a couple of hours. The Streets here in Clifton Beach (just north of Cairns)we awash and flooded. My beautiful wife, Gayleen, drowned her Merc Cabriolet at about 9.00 PM and I had to go out and rescue her and her girlfriend. Luckily I had my Landcruiser at home and not my normal town car. In the suburban street, where the car was drowned, the bow wave from the Landcruiser was just below the top of my bullbar! By the time I got to them, in absolute teaming rain, they were sitting in water well above the seats of the vehicle. The next morning I took a hose to the site and syphoned water out of the compartment of what was once a lovely car! Hopefully they will write it off!

Hi Col,

Got your report and have read it through. It will be very useful when planning our trip.

We do NOT intend to tow our van on the coastal track to Bloomfield. I have driven this road before and I agree with your assessment. Too narrow and steep in parts to row any sort of van.

I hope it will stop raining up there eventually so the grader can do the roads before we leave. still a few months away yet so all might be fine.

Thanks for your info.

John and Sandra

Fieldsie,

You will have no problems getting to Punsand Bay,took our T E up there in 2007, don't forget Fruit Bat Falls and Elliot twin falls for an over night camp also the Bends north of Coen is a good camp spot, we camped in gravel pits and old road workers

camp sites take it easy, and as they say drive to the conditions and watch the dips, also the drongos heading south on the wrong side of the road, look ahead for the dust.

PS good burger at Archer River, and worth the ferry ride to T I,

Cheers, Tom@Jackie.

Hello Fieldsie,

Tommy is spot on. I would like to reinforce his comments about dips. On the Cape the sign Dip means DIP!! I have a friend who is a long time experienced Cape tour guide and fisherman. Before I did my trip in 2010 he said to me "I have only one piece of advice. Take good care and notice when you see a Dip sign." He was right and I did take care but still got caught out on a couple.

One swallow does not make a spring but I can report that the weather here has changed. Temperatures have dropped, humidity has dropped dramatically and the rain has stopped. I remarked to Gayleen during the week that the wet season has ended. She agreed. We might be wrong but that is how it is feeling.

Lastly, if you can do the Cape in June rather than later, it will be to your advantage.

Cheers

Colin

Greetings to all

Colin & Gayleen we would also appreciate your pdf trip reports as we will be heading north this year also.

June is our planned departure month.

Please say hi to Gayleen and a pat on the head for the fur balls :D

Will drop you a PM with out mail addy.

Cheers for now.

Hello All,

Just to whet the appetite, here is a couple of pics at Punsand Bay. Most people leave their van at Seisia and take a day trip to the tip but I wanted to get the TE as close as I could. It is not a problem getting there.

Hello Everyone,

For those trekking up to the Tip of the Cape this winter I know of a great overnight or longer free camp spot north of Mt Carbine on the mighty Mitchell River. Its a favourite weekend trip for us. The spot is not in Camps 6. If anyone wants the details I will send them to you by PM. Also,the Mt Carbine CP is very rustic but really good. They have reopened the mine at Mt Carbine...not in full swing yet....we are doing the recruiting for them. The town has a pub and a gas station, and that's all. Both are good. The gas station has an attractive, cool, shaded dining area and the tucker is good.

As an aside. My TE is 18'6" internal and 20" external. Put the rig over the weighbridge early this morning and found it has not changed in 12 months, fully combat loaded. The van with full tanks of water, 300 L, was 3620. Ball weight 340. So, I have dumped 150L water in preparation for heading tonight to O'Briens Creek (Camps 6 QLD 241)which is another great spot and favourite of ours. On the banks of the Einasleigh River. Just great. We will spend Easter there.

The weather here is absolutely magnificent at the moment. 17 overnight, 29 by day. It really does seem that the wet season has ended. So, one and all, come on up!!

Regards

Colin

Hello Everyone,

For those trekking up to the Tip of the Cape this winter I know of a great overnight or longer free camp spot north of Mt Carbine on the mighty Mitchell River. Its a favourite weekend trip for us. The spot is not in Camps 6. If anyone wants the details I will send them to you by PM.

Regards

Colin

G'day Colin,

I would realy appreciate details of this camp as we will be heading up in early July.

Have a good Easter trip.

Regards, JK.

Hi JK, I'll send you a PM. Happy for any KOGer to have it but lots of others read this forum! Sorry 'others" but this is brotherhood stuff!

Some pics, attached, of the spot5....just to show it is a good spot. As you will see, it has a built in jacuzzi!

Regards

Colin

G'day Colin,

I to would realy appreciate details of this camp. Although we will not be travelling up there this year (Still working, but retiring next year)we will be making plans to 'do' up north when the time comes in 2013.

Have a good Easter trip also for us.

Regards,

Gazza & Judy.

Ooh yes, me too - would LOVE details of this camp. And I do agree that some places are best kept within the brotherhood and sisterhood!

Chris

Hi JK, I'll send you a PM. Happy for any KOGer to have it but lots of others read this forum! Sorry 'others" but this is brotherhood stuff!

Some pics, attached, of the spot5....just to show it is a good spot. As you will see, it has a built in jacuzzi!

Regards

Colin

G'day Colin,

thanks for the pm it will be a great stopover point on the way North; looks like I'll have to make a booking following all of the keen interest :rolleyes: .

Regards, JK

G'day Colin,

thanks for the pm it will be a great stopover point on the way North; looks like I'll have to make a booking following all of the keen interest :rolleyes: .

Regards, JK

Just take a caretakers sign with you, that means you will be head KOG.

Tom

Hello Everyone,

Just returned home after 6 days at O'Briens Creek over Easter. It was just lovely. I am flying to catch up on emails and our business and that will take a couple of days until normalacy (is that a word?) returns. Then I will respond to all those who want the details of that camp spot and the Trip to the Tip report.

Thanks in anticipation for your patience.

Regards

Colin