Cape York Trip

Fieldsie

Hi Colin,

Like most Koggers we will be heading up there one day and would appreciate details of your great camp spot. Maybe you could give details under the Owners Group or Owners Camp Sites. Will probably save you a lot of PM's. It will then only be available to the Kogger family as you want.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Everyone,

At last I seem to have our business interests under control and so I have post the camp spot details, and our Cape York Trip report, in the Members section of our web site.

Kind regards to all,

Colin

Hello Koggers,

I was in the Cook Shire website for other reasons and had a peek at their road report on the Cape. I have found these guys to be spot on with their information. The address is:

/>http://www.cooktownandcapeyork.com/roads

If you are headed up the Cape this dry season it would be a good idea to save this address.

Regards

Colin

Colin,

I take it that your trip to O'briens Creek was to chase some stones, it is a top spot and we have managed to stop there 3 times,

I love going up the jump up's there is fantatic scenery to see, and to travel along the river and see the fresh water croc's also

plenty of time for camp oven cooking, wont be able to make this year but 2013 is looking good,

All the best,

Tom and Jackie.

Tom and Jackie,

O'Brien's Creek is a top spot. No, we don't chase stones, just enjoy the river, the camp fire, the wine and food, and the company who we meet there. At Easter it was busy but still great. Normally it is not so crowded. It is about 350 km from Cairns, depending on which route you take up to the Tablelands, so it is just great for a four day weekend when we can manage it.

Regards

Colin

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I have been racing o replace all the brakes including drums, shoes, magnets, and wheel bearings on the Top Ender because we are intending to leave Cairns for Weipa early on Friday morning. We have business meetings in Weipa with Rio and at one of the nearby A&TSI communities. So, instead of flying we thought it would be a good run with the van. Anyway, I will soon be in a position to give up-to-date road reports to those Koggers headed that way. If we have time we may continue to Seisia.

Bit of rain around at the moment and it is cold dropping to 18 and 19 overnight. I have the ugh boots on the tootsies and a jumper on the top bit of my body. Luckily the winter does not last too long.

The new brakes are good. Managed to stop the van right in front of my house! :D

Regards to all

Colin

Hello Koggers,

iam sitting in Weipa Camping Groungright on th e grass strand ten meters from the beach. Unpowered site 4 is good for Kedrons, easy access and good exposure to the sun for the solar panels. Powered sites are available but not on the beach front. There is plenty of shade trees.

The road condition is as good as you are ever going to get it. There is not any rough stuff between Laura and Weipa. Just fantastic. We are not going to Bamaga but those who have just come back from the Tip report that the road conditions continue all the way.

There is no doubt that June is the pick of the time to come this way. At the end of June the NSW and VIC school holidays start and with that it becomes a bit like Pitt or Collins streets complete with flying ding-bats!!

WARNING. Weipa must be the puncture capitol of the world! In two days I have had two punctures on the bitumen town roads. Yesterday's was caused by a half inch bolt, complete with washer punching a hole in a relatively new Mickey Thompson!

In the industrial area of Weipa there is an excellent car and boat wash into which you can easily take your van. Best one I have come across, anywhere.

Lastly, while the road condition is excellent the DIPS remain. When you see a DIP sign slow right down.

Regards to all

Colin