Insurance Topender

Mark and Simone

Hi all, it is coming up to that dreaded time when we have to renew the insurance on our 21 foot Topender. We are currently insured with C.I.L.the premium is app. $1500 and the Land cruiser Utility is app. $600.00.

I have rung the Campervan Motor-home Club of Australia(CMCA)and if we join as Associate members, we are able to insure with their preferred agent Ken Tame from Lumley Insurance, they have roughly quoted a total of $1,600.00 for both utility and van, a saving of $600.00. My question is? has anyone had experience with this company. We have nil complaints with CIL to date and are only looking elsewhere due to the dollars saving.

On a lighter note we are currently at Farm Beach Coffin Bay S.A. great spot with plenty of Squid and King George Whiting plus flathead, here till after Easter if anyone is around. Regards Mark and Simone

We are CMCA members and have only just heard of this in the last couple of months.

Some fellow caravaners have used this service and also saved a significant amount on their insurances.

Likewise our CIL van insurance last year was $1550 and the tug was with APIA and around $600.

Lumley Insurance also has quoted us $1600 for both.They insure most CMCA member Motor homes and 5th wheelers so should be a strong company.Apparently you need to insure both van and car to take advantage of their insurance.

Guess where we are going, $600 saving P.A. can not be sneezed at.

On a not so lighter note, please don't tell us about the fishing. We are stuck at home in Brissie and don't need to know. :rolleyes:

Cheers. :D

Hi Mark & Simone,

We changed to the CMCA 15 months ago and our savings on our rig was $640 compared to a combined CIL & NRMA policies.We have renewed our policy with no downgrading of the value or increas in premium by Ken Tame who now represents Allianz as his underwriter. Several friends (not Kedron owners ) have also switched with similar savings.

We renewed our policy for 6 months as we had so much happening with regos,and other policies and there is no penalty attached to this. I believe you can also pay by the month but i am not sure about this.

We have not had the need to act on our insurance but talking to Motor Homers the responses have been most favourable.

The fine print on retrieval of vehicle and van compares very faourably with other insurers and as we know the road service clubs wipe you if your rig is over 2.5 ton in some instance and 3 ton in others on their premium care policies.

Based on our experiece and the added bonus of a very good monthly magazine plus a travellers mate info booklet. Purchases of other mag's ie camps 6 was $45 post free as against $54.95 plus post.

We thoroughly recommend it.

Geoff.

Hi Gang

We are insured with Ken Tame through CMCA and saved nearly a grand :D , compared to van with CIL and tug through NRMA.They were very helpful with the whole process and made it very easy. The only down side was that the first years premium had to be paid up front,but luckily Leas carers bonus came just on time.The premiums from the end of the first year are to be paid Quartely.We have talked to Motor Homers and have had nothing but positive feedback from those that had to make a claim.

Cheers

Rick & Lea

Ps Any excess King George whiting can be express mailed to us here in Lake Cooroibah :lol:

We too switched over to Ken Tame in Sep and 3 wks later put a claim in for new WDH due to a broken bar and as HR do not carry spares for my model , Ken Tame paid for a complete hitch minus the $200 excess.

Three mths later the van was attacked by a veh and put a claim in. Pick my own repairer, their assessor had a look and all proceded very smoothly.

Like others, we saved around the $600 mark as we also cancelled our RACQ cover.

No complaints about CIL our previous insurer but the saving was hard to pass up.

Den and Col

We too are an associate member of CMCA and arranged insurance through Ken Tame & Associates. As mentioned in previous posts,he used to underwrite for Lumleys but now he is will Alliance. Ken Tame & Ass (KTA) will only insure you if they do the van and the tow vehicle. Our premium was about $1657 for around about $150,000.

You can download a proposal form off KTA website or CMCA website and they insist on some photos of the van and vehicle including two photos of the interior of the tow vehicle plus evidence of purchase price of the items or a valuation so there is a little bit of 'mucking around' to arrange the insurance in the first instance. You need to quote your CMCA's associate membership number as well.

Previously we were with NRMA and they wanted $2,200 for the van and $893 for the vehicle.

• 2 weeks later...

This all sounds interesting.

My only question would be if they will cover contaminated fuel damaging your engine in the tug. We have just purchased a new 200 and do alot of outback travel.

AAMI, our current car insurer, does.

Can anyone confirm?

Hi Tommy & Jackie

No, it should not make any difference. Roadside service and insurance are two different things.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

G'day

We have our Topender insured with GIO as they were by far the cheapest we found & we looked at all the obvious ones listed here.

They cover for off-road use as well & processed our one claim very efficiently.

Maybe not for you, but definitely worth a look.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Alan

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

I would be interested in an answer to Pete and Traceys question also ( re contaminated fuel damage) , as our insurance is due in a couple

of months,and with a V8 200 series with 8 injectors your talking big dollars if you get a gut full of crap. any info would be appreciated.

regards Mal and Kerry.

I have had a look at the Allianz policy supplied by Ken Tame & Assoc, I could not find any specific mention of any cover for damage from contaminated fuel. It does state they will cover reasonable towing costs to nearest repairer in the event of mechanical or electrical breakdown. You could ring them on (03) 9853 5555 to know more.

A friend picked up some bad diesel fuel at Blackall a few years back in his TD LC100. He had to have the tanks drained and the service station met the costs after he supplied them with a repair receipt. The local NRMA was aware of the incidences having been called out to a number of vehicles with fuel problems from the same service station.

Having said that, it would be a benefit if a policy did cover this - as indicated in Peter & Tracy's 29/3/12 post. Maybe the insurer takes the matter up with the fuel outlet in that case.

Hi all,

In response to the bad fuel issue, we are with RACQ for our 200 series and I asked them specifically that question. Their answer was that if it is not specifically excluded in the policy T's and C's, the it is covered. I looked at the T's and C's as pointed out by them and it is NOT excluded. Please note that I do NOT have this in writing .....

Regards

Chris

• 4 months later...

Following a number of favourable comments about insurance through Ken Tame & Associates we have joined CMCA as associate members and had a very competitive quote for our ATV and 100 series cruiser. The policy wording looks good to us with a number of benefits not currently included by other insurers we have investigated. For agreed value insurance of our five yo ATV they require a valuation, has anyone any suggestions where this can be obtained in the Brisbane area, maybe Kedron themselves? The tow vehicle is at market value.

Robert & Jane