OME Suspension and Springs

Pete and Tracey

Hi Everyone,

We have just purchased a 200 series and are getting the suspension sorted. We are fitting OME and wish to know what springs others have fitted for thier towing setups. We have a Topender that would weigh every bit of the 3.5t with about 320kg on the ball. WDH used of course.

We are going to be fitting airbags at the same time so that will help, but at this stage the front of the car with a steel TJM bar will be getting OME-2701 springs and the rear, with draws, will be getting OME-2723 springs fitted. Does this compare with what others have done?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks.

G`Day Peter & Tracy

I have had my OME set up on the 100 series for about 7 yrs., and when I told them I was going to tow about 3.5 tonnes they fitted the heaviest springs they had. On enquiring about 2 yrs. ago they still fit the same springs. And yes I have air bags fitted also.In all that time I have only replaced the 2 front shockies about 2 yrs. ago. OME are a great system in my humble opinion. ^_^

Cheers

Hi Peter and Tracy,

We had a suspension upgrade using the kit by Lovells. This upgraded the GVM to 3800kg. Does your plan address GVM or has the problem been solved by Toyota? There are times we are pretty much loaded to capacity, van and vehicle so our upgrade was not so much a luxury as a necessity.

We fitted Polyair bags at the same time which was before we got our van, so I can't say what it would be like without them. We run a similar pressure to Donmar, but, we do use a WDH as without it and although the vehicle sits quite level the front end tends to be a bit light, tending to a little torque steer if you take off in a hurry.

Cheers

Hello,

I had OME Medium fitted on the 100 Series some 70,000 km ago. 50,000 km of those has been towing the TE. It has been great...not a problem. This thread has reminded me that I should take the Cruiser into ARB and get them to run their eyes over it......I think I was meant to do that after the first 500 km!!

Regards

Colin

Hi Pete and Tracey,

We have the same setup as Jaygee. Had the ARB OME setup first, but needed to have the Lovell's GVM upgrade to be legal. My advice, go straight to the Lovell's and save $2500 by not wasting time with OME upgrade. We had ours done by Northside 4x4 at North Lakes Brisbane.

regards

Chris

1333333966' post='7716']

Hi Pete and Tracey,

We have the same setup as Jaygee. Had the ARB OME setup first, but needed to have the Lovell's GVM upgrade to be legal. My advice, go straight to the Lovell's and save $2500 by not wasting time with OME upgrade. We had ours done by Northside 4x4 at North Lakes Brisbane.

regards

Chris

Peter,

Those of us that have fitted Lovells kits are probably a bit one eyed, but, I believe it is with good cause. The extra gain in GVM and the improvement in ride quality make it an only option in my humble opinion.

You should make every effort to have the suspension upgraded before the vehicle is first licensed if you can as you then get a national compliance plate rather than a state one from which ever state you have the upgrade done in. My understanding was that a state compliance means that if the vehicle is to be reregistered in another state then there is the potential you will be required to redo the engineering and complaince.

My vehicle was done after a few years after first registration by WA Suspension in Osborne Park, they were very good.

Yell out if need something here in Perth, we might catch you up sometime when we head off up your way in June if you're still there.

• 1 month later...

Jaygee,

I have been talking to the Lovell's Suspension agent here in Cairns. I was wondering if your arrangement was the Heavy Duty High Lift option or something else. On reflection, you probably had the GVM Upgrade version fitted. I have a 2005 100 Series Landcruiser and they do not do a GVM upgrade for those. They do do it for the 200 Series.

I am looking at having my existing OME Medium upgraded to Heavy Duty so I decided to look at Lovells as well.

Any info you have will be appreciated.

Regards

Colin

Hi Colin,

Sorry for the delay, been away for a couple of weeks overseas.

Your right I have the GVM upgrade. SAs for the Lovells product as fitted to my car it's excellent, can't say I would do it any different, then again if you have a 200 Series you don't have any other option to get to 3800kg GVM (well at that time at least, don't know now). The ride is noticeably firmer so feels tighter on the road, a good thing!

I'm sure their kits for the 100 Series would be of comparable quality. If you want to get some height in the front look at Snake Racing they have a kit for the front diff which my son fitted to get some bigger tyres under his 100 Series Sahara.

Good luck with it all.

John

Hello John,

Thank you for your response and my apologies for the slowness of my reply. I, too, have been busy on other things.

Regards

Colin