Installation of Gas Heater

Hermit

Hi all, I would like a Gas heater instead of the Diesel heater in my new 21' van, has anyone had a Gas Heater (air heater) installed in their van, aftermarket.

How much was it including installation?

Where was the unit positioned in the van?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Rob

HI Rob,

We had our Truma Gas heater fitted 12 months ago and it cost $2,500, which is slightly cheaper than the diesel one. We had space under our oven for the unit with tubes running to the shower cubicle and out under the fridge. I recommend insulating these tubes as they do give off a fair bit of heat inside the cupboards they pass through. We also had a third 9kg gas bottle fitted as a back up. The factory figures work out to around 50 hrs of running time per 9kg cylinder which will last a fairly long time for us as we don't tend to leave it running all night. We heat the van before showers & going to bed, then we turn it on from the comfort of bed when we wake in the morning, so it's nice and warm when we get up. Yes I know the diesel supporters have just got their calculators out and worked out that theirs is cheaper to run, but I believe the benefits outweigh this small difference.

The reason we went with this type was to avoid the ticking of the diesel pump, the fumes expelled outside, which are significant when starting up and particularly of concern when camped close to others. There is virtually no maintenance required other than ensuring your regulator is in good condition as poor gas flow will shut it down. We haven't had the opportunity to really put it to the test over several days in icy conditions but it has definitely worked well on the occasions of zero degrees that we have used it. Also I don't have to carry another type of fuel supply that I don't already use in the van.

So overall I'm happy with our decision to go gas instead of diesel, but it comes down to individual choice and not all will agree with this. I hope this has helped Rob and let us know how you go with it. By the way, the last time I enquired Kedron will only fit diesel heaters.

• Like 1

HI Rob,

We had our Truma Gas heater fitted 12 months ago and it cost $2,500, which is slightly cheaper than the diesel one. We had space under our oven for the unit with tubes running to the shower cubicle and out under the fridge. I recommend insulating these tubes as they do give off a fair bit of heat inside the cupboards they pass through. We also had a third 9kg gas bottle fitted as a back up. The factory figures work out to around 50 hrs of running time per 9kg cylinder which will last a fairly long time for us as we don't tend to leave it running all night. We heat the van before showers & going to bed, then we turn it on from the comfort of bed when we wake in the morning, so it's nice and warm when we get up. Yes I know the diesel supporters have just got their calculators out and worked out that theirs is cheaper to run, but I believe the benefits outweigh this small difference.

The reason we went with this type was to avoid the ticking of the diesel pump, the fumes expelled outside, which are significant when starting up and particularly of concern when camped close to others. There is virtually no maintenance required other than ensuring your regulator is in good condition as poor gas flow will shut it down. We haven't had the opportunity to really put it to the test over several days in icy conditions but it has definitely worked well on the occasions of zero degrees that we have used it. Also I don't have to carry another type of fuel supply that I don't already use in the van.

So overall I'm happy with our decision to go gas instead of diesel, but it comes down to individual choice and not all will agree with this. I hope this has helped Rob and let us know how you go with it. By the way, the last time I enquired Kedron will only fit diesel heaters.

Hi again Glen, can you tell me where you had the heater installed. Up here in Townsville, no-one knows how to install them or how much to charge because they have never done it.

They keep telling me, we live in Queensland, there's no need for heating!!!!

Regards

Rob

Hi Rob

I will send you an email.

Cheers

Glen

• 1 month later...

Hi Rob

Further info on the gas heater installation, we needed a rush job to have the CPU (CO2 gas monitor) replaced as advised in an earlier thread. Caboolture Caravan Repairs - Craig Jackson - 07 5495 1966 - 17 Strathvale Court, Caboolture - we highly recommend his work and knowledge of the gas heater.

Cheers

Deb & Glen

• 3 years later...

Hi All,

just spoke to Ashley at Kedron about getting one of these installed and he told me that it was against Kedron Policy to install them. Anybody got any idea why?

• Like 1

Hi Bruce

We have questioned Ashley also about this and he just shakes his head. We had a gas heater installed in WA in our old Kedron, loved it.  It was the first thing we had done to our current Kedron.  Like you we asked again, but the answer was no, so we bought one at the caravan show last year, and  had it fitted at Bundaberg.  Never had a problem with either.

Clive

Interesting....Glen and Deb (see their posts above) have just removed their gas heater and installed a diesel heater in their van.  They may wish to comment further.