Thunderbolt's Way

Greens

Hi - Heading off from Brisbane to Port Stephens in a couple of weeks, and meeting up with friends at Gloucester on the way. I'm thinking of going down the New England to Uralla, and then heading down Thunderbolt's Way. I'm a bit concerned about the road, (hilly, winding etc), and wondered if anyone has towed their van down this way recently. I tow my XC2 with a Nissan Pathfinder, and although it has a Steinbauer chip, it certainly knows the van is behind it. I have towed up the Toowoomba range, Cunningham's Gap, up the New England Highway etc with no trouble - wondering if Thunderbolt's Way would be harder than these???

Jeff

We have just arrived in Armidale this afternoon having come up along the Thunderbolt way, road is rough in places but otherwise no problems our LC200 towed the Keddy like she wasn't even there. :)

Hi - Heading off from Brisbane to Port Stephens in a couple of weeks, and meeting up with friends at Gloucester on the way. I'm thinking of going down the New England to Uralla, and then heading down Thunderbolt's Way. I'm a bit concerned about the road, (hilly, winding etc), and wondered if anyone has towed their van down this way recently. I tow my XC2 with a Nissan Pathfinder, and although it has a Steinbauer chip, it certainly knows the van is behind it. I have towed up the Toowoomba range, Cunningham's Gap, up the New England Highway etc with no trouble - wondering if Thunderbolt's Way would be harder than these???

Jeff

On a recent trip,pulling a 2005 XC with a Range Rover we needed low range first gear to hold the rig in check down Thunderbolts Way on the way to Gloucester brakes alone wouldn't hold,[ignore the numerous shrines along the road side!]

My husband is a professional deliver of vans all over Australia, all sizes.

Hi Jeff,

Recently (two weeks ago) did this trip BOTH ways heading north no dramas at all for the 200 series hardly noticed the hills coming back locked in second gear doing 40kph down the BIG hill..... take your time drive to the conditions & all WILL BE well!