heading for Broom

richard sheppard

Hi All we are heading over to Broom from Townsville on or around the 22/07/12 for 9 weeks. Leaving Townsville to start the Savannah way calling into Lorella springs, Roper bar,katherine. leaving our van at Katherine for a week to visit our Daughter who is a teacher in at Gapuiwyak 240km west of Gove. Then heading back to Katherine to continue our trip across the Gibb river road and then on to Broom. Has anyone traveled these roads recently I'm in the process of getting a permit to travel into Gove and Gapiuwyak. Do I need any other permits to travel this route. If anyone has any advice of what to see and places stay, and places to stay away from.Is there plenty of fuel stops along this route. I have a Toyota landcruiser v8 ute and towing a 21 foot topender and have a fuel range on the bituman around 800kms out of the two tanks. Any advices would be appreciated.

We have done both the Gibb River Road and the Savannah Way, but not recently (as in it was last year we did the Savannah Way).

Get onto the Road Conditions sites as this is the most important information.

(See http://www.ntlis.nt.gov.au/roadreport/include.jsp?pageName=content/links

and
/>http://www.racq.com.au/travel/Maps_and_Directions/road_conditions

If you want my trip report for the Savannah Way (July 2011) PM me and I will send you a private copy. But as I will be on the road for the next couple of days I may not get onto it straight away.

Chris

post-45-0-22801800-1338614744_thumb.jpg

We will be heading across the Savannah Way as we head back home to WA probably around early July, unless of course we change direction after Longreach and head back toward the coast.

We are planning on doing the alternative Savannah Way which will take us through Booraloola and then when we finally make WA may well take the Gibb River Road. Ian would like to go out to Wolf Creek crater so we will have to do a little bit of a deviation as we go down the GRR and then come back onto it.

Dates could change for us as we are having fun in Queensland at the moment and don't really want to rush back home. Tomorrow we head toward Emerald.

Sounds like we might cross tracks along the way, we will keep an eye out for you.

We have done both the Gibb River Road and the Savannah Way, but not recently (as in it was last year we did the Savannah Way).

Get onto the Road Conditions sites as this is the most important information.

(See http://www.ntlis.nt.gov.au/roadreport/include.jsp?pageName=content/links

and
/>http://www.racq.com.au/travel/Maps_and_Directions/road_conditions

If you want my trip report for the Savannah Way (July 2011) PM me and I will send you a private copy. But as I will be on the road for the next couple of days I may not get onto it straight away.

Chris

post-45-0-22801800-1338614744_thumb.jpg

We will be heading across the Savannah Way as we head back home to WA probably around early July, unless of course we change direction after Longreach and head back toward the coast.

We are planning on doing the alternative Savannah Way which will take us through Booraloola and then when we finally make WA may well take the Gibb River Road. Ian would like to go out to Wolf Creek crater so we will have to do a little bit of a deviation as we go down the GRR and then come back onto it.

Dates could change for us as we are having fun in Queensland at the moment and don't really want to rush back home. Tomorrow we head toward Emerald.

Sounds like we might cross tracks along the way, we will keep an eye out for you.

Hi Ian and Sue, thanks for your reply. We are leaving Townsville either the 22/07/ or 23/07/12. First night Gorgetown about 470 kms away then on to Burketown, Hells gate,and then Booraloola. We will spend 2 nights at Lorrela springs and then on to Mataranka. We are leaving the van at Katherine for a week as we travel in to Gapiuwyak and Gove to visit our daughter. Then traveling up to Kununurra staying there for 4 nights and then moving on to Elquestro station for three nights across the Gibb river. Should be in Broom 22/8/12 to 26/08/12, before heading back home calling into Wolf creek crater and the bungle bungles. Hopefully we might cross paths. We have a white Toyota landcruiser ute pulling a white topender.The wife's job is the washing and keeping them both clean. Ian have you done much towing over the dirt,if so do you drop your tyre pressure down and to what psi. I haven't done much towing of a van of this size on the dirt. We had a camper before we bought this keddy. Looking forward to this trip. Safe travelling. Richard and Celeste

Hi Richard

Ian and I share driving and have covered many kilometres of dirt roads over the years we very much play it by ear with tyre pressures dependant on the road we are travelling, the key is to travel to conditions, stop regularly and check what is going on behind. On our last "big" trip we took the old van up to Cape York to Sissesa, got the spelling wrong I am sure, took it slow over the heavy corrugations, wondered a few times why we were doing it as the our fillings rattled in our teeth, got there and back without any hitches as people who flew past were seen waiting for new springs at the tip. Had the best time as we always do when we are travelling.

A tip on the real rough for your wife, find your extra towels and put them into the cupboards on top of your dishes, pots and pans or anything which could jump about, doesn't have to be packed in tight just keeps the bouncing/vibration to a minimum.

You look like you are heading the same way as us - we have a sliver/blue 60th anniversary LC200 pulling a white ATV with blue strips. Ah the give away would be that we have large boxes across the back of our van which are quite distinctive, oh and our Kedron Owners Group sticker.

Happy travels.

Sue

We are at Booraloola at the moment. We are going out to King Ash Bay today for a few days then back to Booraloola and off East on the Savana Way.

We will let you know of the road conditions and tyre pressures we use.

Hi there Richard,

We travel in a 200 Series and 21ft ATV, lucky to weigh in below 3,500 Kg.

2nd August 2011 we left Kununurra and pulled into a rest area at the junction of the Wyndham and Gibb River road and let all tyres down to 28psi. We then crossed the Pentecost river, only 700mm deep so a piece of cake. After an overnight stop at Home Valley Station and a fantastic meal at the Dusty Bar & Grill we continued down the GRR. As others have said, drive to the conditions, generally we sat on about 80kph but on many occasions we dropped back to 60 and all the time I watched out for and dodged sharp looking rocks on the road. By doing so we had no problems or flat tyres. At a Van Park on Eyre Penninsula another Vanner asked how many flats we had on the GRR and when I said none his reaction was amazing and he couldn't believe it...his mate had done 8 tyres during the trip. I guess that says it all. We were passed by lots of vehicles along the way and one bloke even abused me at a fuel stop for travelling too slow and holding him up!

Hi again Richard,

Since you are heading for Broome I guess you know about the stairway to the moon that occurs about 3 nights during the months of July etc. Enjoy your WA experience. We certainly did. Don't miss the wreath flowers at Pindar, We have never seen anything like them before or since.

• 1 month later...

Hi all, That time has come and we are heading to Broome tomorrow on a nine week holiday I would like to thank everyone for there advice and comments on the Savannha way and the Gibb river road. I have rang around to the different shire councils to find out the road condition and all is ok.We are leaving Townsville around 0600 and hoping to get to Gorgetown that afternoon,then Normanton, Hells gates, Lorella springs. Has any one towed their topender into Lorella springs? The reason I'm asking is, I was looking at a 'you tube' clip and there was a lot of loose sand. Don't know if it was on the road going to Lorella springs camp or was it going out to the coast from Lorella springs. I have tried emailing Lorella springs to finD out the road condition with no answer as yet. Richard and Celeste

Hi....you lucky buggers,

I towed my 19'6" ATV into Lorella Springs with no dramas, track conditions varied from good to average in different sections ...... just drive to the conditions, you will have no worries :)

On arrival or during your stay you will meet Rhett & his mother (cant remember her name .... the owners) such lovely people & I believe Rhett is still recovering from a horrible accident he sustained last year.