Geocaching - can someone explain it

RussnSue

Hi,

can someone who participates explain to me, in layman's terms, just what geocaching is, what the objectives are and why it interests them? I've had a bit of a look at a couple of web sites but I have to say that I'm none the wiser about it. I know that there is a cache at the lookout here at Cossack but I haven't bothered to look for it. I suppose I should have a sticky-beak, but to be honest, I don't even know what to look for. I'm assuming that it will be some sort of trinket box under a rock or two.

Cheers

Russ

Russ, Russ, Russ where have you been! :lol:

The simplest answer is to say type geocaching into Utube as geocaching.com has a video there all about this addictive hobby. We have been geocaching now for over 10 years and have made some wonderful friends through this hobby, in fact the reason for us travelling from Karratha to Albury was to attend the 2nd Mega Event where we had over 800 teams turn up.

The cache at Cossack belongs to us along with most other caches around Karratha. It is actually at the lookout which looks over to Jarman Island and has been there since 2003 if I remember correctly, many eastern state and local geocachers find it very regularly especially at this time of the year. Our Team name is Ian&Sue - Team Pathfinder if you want to look us up on geocaching.com .

We have a great cache out at Gregories Gorge - when we get back to Karratha that is where I plan on taking the Keddy for a week long trip, might have to take a saw to make sure a couple of the branches don't get in the way but can't see a major drama in getting out there.

Cheers

Sue

It is indeed an addictivre pursuit. I had meant to get into it when we were on the road for a good long time but it all seemed too hard. Then another forum gave me the following link and got me started. I now have two whole finds to my name! (One was about 100 metres from my home and I suspected one would be there.

/>http://www.geocaching.com/guide/default.aspx

You can get an ap for your mobile phone too and that makes it much easier to find the cache. (The ap tells you how far you are from the cache in metres). We have had to abandon a couple of caches as we couldn't find them.... I suspect we need a lot more practice.

Chris

• 2 months later...

Ian & Sue,

I thought it was you (Pathfinder). Thanks for the caches. Still a few to go, but in Wickham at the mo, so a good chance at getting them.

FabFlyFive

Thread starters Russ and Sue,

Why? Because! The real reason we do it is because it gives the kids something extra to focus on when we get out and about, after all who doesn't like being part of a secret society that has treasure stashed all over the world? Practically though the really well thought out caches will take you to a place on or off the beaten track and show you things and views that you would have missed plus give you a valid reason to slow down and take it in. In my locale there is one on a walk trail on a bend on the river in suburbia that is just gorgeous to go to, sit at and watch the river slip by. On the minus side it can be frustrating when you fail to find a cache and some of the caches are stupid. For example one in my locale is next to the general stinky waste skip at the back of a decreipt shopping centre.

Ash

Russ n Sue,

Just realised where you are. If you haven't sussed it and still want to see how it's done, I'm back in Wickham Tuesday 28th and can easily shoot over to the backpackers to clue you in. Tidy arrangement on your draw bar by the way, I intend to emulate a few of your home spun storage ideas.

Ash

Hi Ash

And now I know who you are :-)

We look like moving back up to Karratha in the next two weeks and will be living there again until at least Christmas and more likely a hell of a lot longer :lol: All of our geocaching goodies are already packed into Keddy so as soon as we get our new house we will be back out in full force hiding some pretty sneaky ones. Hopefully you will be around still to find them.

cheers

Sue.

Russ n Sue,

Just realised where you are. If you haven't sussed it and still want to see how it's done, I'm back in Wickham Tuesday 28th and can easily shoot over to the backpackers to clue you in. Tidy arrangement on your draw bar by the way, I intend to emulate a few of your home spun storage ideas.

Ash

Hi Ash

Feel free to pop over any time. We are always here. If I'm not in the residence, I'll be either wandering around the grounds or a short distance away in the ute. I'm not hard to find.

Cheers

Russ