Generator

reece

Hi Bryan,

I have put the generator back in the box after taking a little of the top above the handle to make it easier to get in and out.

I also have a fuel smell but it does not permeate the van as I ensured all seals were in tact and applied silastic to all metal joints to be sure.

I had toyed with the idea of putting in a couple of the black vents like in the front box with a filter on the inside but haven't done this at the moment, I will see what 6 months in the top end does with the heat to determine if the work is justified.

cheers

I had toyed with the idea of putting in a couple of the black vents like in the front box with a filter on the inside but haven't done this at the moment, I will see what 6 months in the top end does with the heat to determine if the work is justified.

Hi Bryan,

I've fitted the vents mentioned by Laurie because of the fuel in the generator box, spare plus what's in the generator. The tip Laurie mentioned about sealing the compartment with silastic is the best first step as without doing this the fuel smell in the van after installing the hatch door vents will only get worse, particularly if the breeze happens to be to that side of the van or if you use Fantastic vent fans set to out rather than in.

Cheers

John

• 3 months later...

Hi All

The sealing of the joints in the box work but the Genquip 3300 electric start we purchased in April 2013 has not been a great success, we arrived at the Roper River (Tomato Island) 19th June and fired up the Genquip, all went well until the 28th July when the darn thing died.

It would start but ran rough and would not rev up I rang Genquip discussed the problem with them and the result without hesitation or proof of purchase they have forwarded a new carby to Mataranka (still has not arrived held up in Kathrine that’s Aust post).

In the meantime to operate the 240v appliances I have purchased a Honda EU 10i so it has been a costly exercise wish I had continued using the Honda EU20i which is sitting in the shed at home.

For what this exercise has cost I could have bought a Honda or a Yamaha with a greater output than the Honda EU20i and not had the hassle.

Bryan

• 1 month later...

Hi all

The generator problem has been rectified at last.

Genquip finally came up with the fix, the exhaust is fitted with a spark arrester and it was blocked with soot.

I must say they were willing to ship a replacement to cairns if the removal of the spark arrester didn’t work.

End result I now have a Honda EU10i, a Honda EU20i and a Genquip 3300 definitely well charged, but poorer for the experience.

Bryan

• 2 weeks later...

Hi David

I don't know about the size of the 3300, but my guess is it wont fit in the standard genny boot. If you are about to have your van built ,I suggest you contact Kedron and see if they will build a boot fit it. I think you will find them very accommodating. But don`t wait to long. ;)

Cheers

Rick

Hi All

My 3.3 did not fit in our gen box without removing the slide and modifying the generator handles.

Not sure if our box will be the same as yours. I had measured it but unfortunately did not take into account the seal rim around the box.

Cheers.

Interesting to read as I specifically spoke to Kedron about this very topic and was told straight out that you are far better off carrying your generator in the back of your tow vehicle to counteract the added tow ball weight. Interesting to hear comments.

Cheers

Merv

I wouldn't put the generator in the rear of your vehicle unless you have a tray back ute, it doesn't matter what brand of generator or petrol driven device, if it has fuel in it 2 stroke or plain unleaded on a hot day the car will stink of petrol fumes. My genquip 3300 has sat in the gen box for 6 months up in the territory only coming out twice on the trip with 47 + days and no fumes on the inside of the van.

For my two bobs worth.... I wouldn't be carrying/storing ANY petrol/diesel powered machine including jerry cans in the back of my tow vehicle.... unless it was a ute or similar (as in passenger area, completely separate to storage area)

• 4 weeks later...