Generator

reece

Hi

We are just on our way home from 3 weeks in the north of WA and had to get the 2400 Yamaha out to charge the batteries no problems so far ,stared up and it runs perfectly , plug the cable in with only the battery charger creating any load and it starts to hunt or appears to be over loaded when in doubt check the manual but that gave me no clues.

Can anyone help what the problem might be.

Regards

Reece

Hi Reece,

Not very familiar with the Yamaha but I have a couple of ideas to try. Firstly if your batteries are only down a little the charger may be fluctuating voltage off and on causing the power draw to fluctuate. You could check this by observing the voltage input while it's running. Secondly, check that your inverter is off and that it's not trying to work in unison with the charger, but they should be separated automatically when power is connected. I'm not sure if the Yamaha has an economy button or not, but if it has try turning it off. Lastly, how old is your fuel?

Hope this gives you some ideas to try. Good luck :D

Glen

Hi Reece

Double check that the hot water system is turned off (electric) if you have electric/gas. Our little Honda nearly kacked itself when we plugged it into our new van with the HWS turned on and the battery charger on.

Needless to say the Honda's gone now :rolleyes:

Hi REECE

We had the same problem with our 2400 Yamy when we were camping at Inskip , under light load the thing was hunting so bad it

was to bloody anoying to have on. As soon as we put a load on (air con or sandwich maker)it would rev up and run perfectly.

We put it in to the local yamaha service agent,who immediately changed the fuel and said to put an additive in it as prtrol

starts to break down within a couple of months and leaves a sticky gum on the butterfly. He also said that the 2400 Yamaha

has a tendancy to hunt a little under a light load , and some people are putting a heavier spring behind the govenor butterfly

to alleviate the problem. We haven't needed to use it since ,but have started it up and pluged it in, and although it isn't

perfect it is about 90% better. I now make a habit of starting it up every so often an letting it run for about 5 mins or so.

Regards Mal and Kerry.

Had a similar problem wth my Yamaha 2400. Took it in to the warrenty people .They said it was a bit of dirt in ths carbby. No warrenty.Cost $50.00. try again still faulty ,Still intermittent. A mechanic friend suggested wnen first starting the machine give it a good choke until almost failing.Good as gold now.Perhaps the carby needs to be totally full from the start.Runs pretty smooth now (bit noiser than the Honda).The airconditioner gives it a hurry up but at least the revs only change now with the amount of load.

My observation

Ted Mackedie

Hi all

I have got the 2400 yamy and if I am not going to use it for a day or two I always turn the petrol off and let it run and stop by itself so there is no

fuel left in carby, no problems yet always runs "ok" when I restart it not like the Honda I had.

Kakadu

I had the hunting problem as well on my Yammy 2400. Kakadu hads the solution, I reckon. Once I started doing as he suggests there has not been any hunting under light load.

Regards

Colin

Hi all

Gotta say we have a Genquip 3300 electric start that works just fine no matter what load is thrown at it.(Battery charger (70 amp),hot water system, aircon and normal power usage all at once).

$1700 from TJM good warranty and really how often do you need to use the gen if the 12 volt wiring from the solar is done properly.

We had 4 days of overcast at a camp at Canungra and the batteries were still happy even after heavy use every night.We could see 10-15 amps even with very cloudy conditions and voltage was smiling at the end of every day (12.9v).

Life has gotta be easy or ya don't want to do it soooo use the right gear and life is good :rolleyes: .

Hi Danny

Thanks for your input is idle screw on the carbby and if so did you adjust it by say 1/4 of a turn.

Regards

Reece

Morning Reece

The idle screw is on the carby but very hard to get at..you need one of those flexable screwdrivers that i don't have..when you pull the back cover off you will see the stopper plate rocking when genny is hunting..Turn genny off and bend plate in whisker..too much and it will rev too high.i went too much first time and had too have another go.just a bit of trial and error.

Good luck

Danny

• 2 weeks later...

We visited the local Yamaha service agent regarding this issue and it appears this is a common and known problem with this particular generator. The fix is - take it to your service agent for a "spring adjustment".

Haven't had ours done yet as we were pressed for time, but will look at getting this attended to in the next few weeks.

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

On our recent trip to NT, our 4yo Yamaha 2.4 generator started over revving and not adjusting to load levels.

I have just been advised that the 'controller' is rs and will cost $1,500.00 to replace!

Not bad for a part that sits on top of the carby and is approx. 25mm x 25mm x 25mm!!!!'

Not impressed, so looks like we are in the market for a new genny (not a Yamaha obviously).

Has anyone got an udate on the Genquip 3300?

Cheers,

Ian

Yep we have had the Genquip for about 6 months.

Good machine although we have had a problem with the battery.

The electric start is wonderful.

There is no "eco mode" as with the Hondas so when you start it, it will run according to load.Ours handles the aircon,hot water system & 70amp battery charger no problems.

$1700 well spent from TJM

Cheers from the Kyd's

Thanks KOGGERS,

After reading this thread we decided on the GENQUIP 2kVA Invertor Generator @ $1129.00 delivered. We intend to couple it to a Victron Multiplus load sharing invertor and battery charger. The idea is to allow a smaller generator (pushed for room and weight) to run the AC, we also wanted an invertor for the battery bank and required a charger that was compatilble with AGM batteries. We also have a two panel PV array charging the battery bank as well and may go for a third panel. Time will tell if this was the right decision. Or if indeed the perceived need for available power anywhere was over valued.

Ian and Jill,

We are currently in Darwin and have the 3300 Genquip mounted on the "A" frame. The thing I like about this unit is turn the key and run anything you like in the van including battery charger, A/C and washing machine without worrying about overload. We primarily use it for the washing machine when out bush but after sitting near a van using a Honda the other day I wouldn't go any other way. The Honda 2 was just sitting revving its head off.

The after sales service should you need it from Genquip in Sydney is excellent as well.

cheers

• 3 weeks later...

I was told by a service agent in Brisbane what the fix was, but unfortunately ran out of time to have it done before we left. I approached 2 service agents on the way north with a "verbal" on the fix, but one failed to do it correctly, and the other gave me a blank stare as if I was talking Chinese. I had to almost dial the Yamaha Head Office for him who told him my instructions were correct. And yes, it was a simple spring adjustment.

I now have a flyer from Yamaha Head Office showing how the spring is adjusted, so if anyone is having this same "hunting" issue, PM me and I will email it to you. Of course, if your genny is still under warranty you should take it with the flyer to a Yamaha service agent and have them do the adjustment to avoid any warranty issues.

I have only had to start the genny once since it was done and I can immediately hear the difference.

Hi Sue

I haven't had any problems with my yammy yet but would love to have a copy just in case my email is kakadu@bigpond.net.au

Thanks Tony

• 7 months later...

Hi Bryan

We do have a slight smell in the box but the vents seem to take care of it with out any drama.

Laurie & Helen have the same gen in a similar van to you so I am hoping they might respond to your question. Sorry.

Cheers from us.