KOGers Tips

Tolley

Hi Everyone,

My beautiful co-pilot, Gayleen, has asked me to post these tips for Koggers.

Tip 1

Vegies in fridge seemed to go off quickly so I took the plastic top shelf off and its great…you lose that shelf but it was always a dodgy one anyway and advantage is you can put large things like lettuce, salad stuff on the top and stick the pumpkin, onion on the bit of shelf behind…works great and vegies don’t go off.

Tip 2

The bloody smoke alarm when making toast inside...I used to turn 3 fans on and open every window, but it would still go off and make the poor 12 year old dog, Moet, shake for about an hour and not want to come near the van….did you know how easy it is to take the alarm off stick it under your doona, so no chance you forget to put it back up…(Mr T would not let me take the battery out). I might be a bit slow because you think how easy was that for a solution , and quicker than opening the windows.

That’s all I have for you…oh! one more, a long term off roader told me she puts pepper on pumpkin and it does not go off, she does not keep it in the fridge and is in a hot climate. You just wash it off when you use it, good tip if you are way for a while and want to take a big pumpkin…love my pumpkin (& vegies) but it would always go off and takes up so much fridge space.

So, that's all from Gayleen folks :)

Colin

Hi Gayleen & Collin,

Love the idea of a tips section, I always enjoy reading others ideas and quite often find very useful ideas to take away.

I don't know how easy they are to get these days as I bought a heap a few years back and keep reusing them. If you look in the bags section of the local supermarket you can/used to be able to buy special "plastic" bags which allow the fruit and veg to breathe and add heaps of life to them. They really do work and are worth seeking out.

We have had the same problem with our old boys and the fire alarm so feel for you. We are fortunately in that Rusty (our JRT) has been trained to wake me should there be smoke in the house as when I am asleep I don't hear smoke detectors (or bombs probably) going off so Ian has removed the battery for now. I have told him I don't like going around without it as it might alert someone our van is on fire if we are away from it. I have a small dust cap especially made for the smoke detector back home but forgot to put it into the van before we left home. Everything will be rectified when we reach home and BEFORE we depart again. :)

Cheers

Sue

Hi

Great discussion.

I also use a shower cap or can covers for the smoke alarm and agree with Sue regarding the green veggie bags. Vac sealing also helps - I peel and cut up the pumpkin and vac seal - takes up less space and lasts a smidge longer.

Cheers

Deb B

Hi Colin & Gayleen

what a great idea starting this thread, so thanks from me.

Tip 1 Diggers Rust & Stain removal with oxalic acid as per Col & Debbie's suggestion on another thread here from Feb 2011. Mixed in 10% solution & left on no longer than 5 mins & washed off well worked a treat. The Kimberley & Pilbara of 2011 left a lot of stains on almost every where.

Tip 2 Bi carb soda mixed into a paste & rubbed over the marks left on the awning gets almost all the stains off. It also gets the Kimberley dust stain off the awning as well.

Does any one have any ideas in how to prevent the dust from being sucked into the rear rangehood vent hole other than gaffer tape over the external vent?

cheers

Sue

Hi all, thanks for the tips back...found the vegie bags in the supermarket(we do have a cryvac machine...but sometimes its not practical). Shower cap is great idea and on my shopping list. :D

Gayleen :wub:

Rod & Sue

Have a look at the "Hints & Tips" section of the forum.

I posted "Dust problem with rear range hood exhaust" many moons ago.

It was a great fix and worked well.

The idea was not mine but a fellow Kogger's. :D

If you can't access it let me know.

Cheers to all from the Kyd's

Hi all

A fellow traveler gave us this mixture for cassette toilets.

For cleaning cassette. 75Grams of Citric acid into 2 Ltrs of water. Add enough into cassette to slush arround,then empty out.

Was stated that should only have to do this once if you use this mixture from then on.

50ml Borax, 50ml Brown Pine o cleen ,50ml Cloudy Amonia, added to 1 ltr of water (Borax will need to be disolved in hot water.)

Add 1 cup full of this to cassette. We tried it for the last 4 or so empties ,and it seemes to work quite well,but am not to

sure how friendly it is ?. All ingrediance are readily available at most supermarkets.

Regards Mal and Kerry.

Hi Rod & Mavis

many thanks for the heads up on this 1.I will get Rod to look at this tomorrow.

I was going to become financial from Sept, but have done it now to access the site & lots of other invaluable stuff.

cheers

Sue

• 1 year later...

Rod & Sue

Have a look at the "Hints & Tips" section of the forum.

I posted "Dust problem with rear range hood exhaust" many moons ago.

It was a great fix and worked well.

The idea was not mine but a fellow Kogger's. :D

If you can't access it let me know.

Cheers to all from the Kyd's

Good evening cant access the post re dust ingress from the rear range hood can you tell me how you solved it

regrads

graeme yost

Hi Graeme

Welcome to the KOG & the forum.

I have just changed your access to the members forum as your membership fee arrived today.

We followed Rod & Mavis idea on covering the rear range hood vent seen in Hints Tips & Products of the Members Only section of the forum.

I hope this helps.

Cheers

Sue