200 Series Fuel Figures

Kimbo

I have just completed 3000klm with my new 200 series GXL twin turbo and here are some figures from 3 tanks towing a 3.2 tonne Kedron Topender 17 ft Internal

Travelled from Mackay to Newcastle

Run in period before attaching van as requested by toyota in qld and who am I to argue was 1000 klms city /hwy driving between Mackay and Proserpine and out to Eungella N/p I squeezed as much fuel into tank as I could

Tank 1/Varying speeds NON towing used

114litres for 956klm equaling 11.9lt/100k or 8.3klm litre

Tank 2/ Towing the van using the cruise control and holding speed limits upto 110klms figures were 117litrs 541 klms 21ltrs /100k or 4.6 klms litre but I was pushing it also and reckon this figure reflects that.

Tank 3/ driving into a strong headwind all day towing the van and NOT using the cruise control resulted in a figure of 510klms for 106 litres 20l/100klms or 4.8klms litre

Tank 4/ Driving from Brissy via the New England and Cunningham Gap towing the van and sitting on the speed limit but allowing the cruiser to hold gears longer by allowing to slow on hills slightly resulted in 636klms for 120 litres or 18litres/100klms or 5.3 klms litre.

These figures I am extremely happy with especially when you consider I was maintaining speed limits up hills and down and was able to overtake trucks on overtaking lanes without hesitation as well as a few 100 series towing much lesser weighted vans to mine.

I mentioned Cunninghams gap and for those who know the gap they know how steep it is this vehicle held speed limit from bottom to top and had plenty in reserve actually to the point at 1 stage going up a gear from 3rd to 4th and as far as Im concerned is a awesome towing vehicle I think like Daz toyota have got this one right

I relise that these figures dont add upto 3000klm but are figures based on a full tank of fuel each morning before leaving rest of the Klms were side trips I did

Regards :thumbsup:

Thanks for the figures, Kimbo.

As you know, I picked up my LC200 yesterday and drove it from Gosford to Brisbane on it's first tank, but was not towing.

I filled up today and worked out I used 11.6L/100km (105L/920km).

I'm pretty happy with that - the engine is pretty tight and I gave it a few squirts to feel the power ;-)

It held the cruise control with no problems regardless of slope.

The real test will be when I hook up the TE.

It handled beautifully up the ranges, never lacking any power and only ever needing to touch the accelerator - no pushing the pedal to the floor needed.

The KDSS seems to work around the bends - gave it a workout coming down Cunninghams gap - and I'm sure the body roll is a lot less than the LC100.

Nice sweet gentle V8 sound that is not loud or tiresome on long trips. Turbos sound fantastic when you give it a squirt...

The 6th gear myth is totally busted - treat the car gently and it'll come on on the flats and downhills of course. Saw it kick in at 90kph at one point.

Very happy chappy!

Anyone considering... just do it!

David

P.S. Good to catch up and thanks for the cuppa. Ended up getting pulled over 3 times on the trip.... No tickets - must be a record (for me)!

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have the fuel figures yet, but we took the LC200 for it's first run with the TE this weekend up to Somerset Dam (dam crowded in the ski areas, but our campground was reasonably quiet).

Background:

The WDH was adjusted off the LC100 and clears the tailgate easily. Turned it around and adjusted the holes used. The bolts were not bent as Kimbo had found, so maybe Kimbo's copped the bending on the top end tour??

A new prodigy was installed.

The rear vioew camera was reinstalled from the LC100.

The report:

As soon as I pulled the van out of the shed, I knew I had made the right decision with the 200. The van is stored in a shed at the front of our block and has to come out at right angles and up the steep drive then reversed out to the street. I always had to put the LC100 in low range to get it up the hill without burning the clutch. The LC200 just ate it up with power to spare - completely different vehicle - and I loved my LC100!). I'm not sure if it was an auto vs manual thing, but I do know the torque played a large part.

I got the van onto some level ground on the street and fitted the bars and brought the car back up to level with ease. When the van was put on the car, the car sunk noticably, as I expected from a Landcruiser, but the bars sorted that out. I think some air bags in the LC200 are in order....

On the road, the 200 pulled the van from a standing start with ease. On the motorway, I felt a lot more confident as the setup felt a lot more sure footed.

Up over the range (not that steep) the 200 was smooth and kept the speed limit with ease. Gear changes were smooth and hardly noticable unless I was watching the tacho.

During the trip up and back, I didn't feel uncomfortable at all and the whole setup sat true and steady.

In summary, I'm very pleased with the 200 - worth every cent IMHO. Now we just have to get out there!

I'll get some fuel figures up when I fill up, but it probably won't be that accurate as it was only a 220 return run.

One thing I will ask (not being a previous TD owner) is do all of you TD owners idle your engines down after a trip? The manual says (from memory) 1-2 mins from 80 kph, 3 mins from 100kph, but no need if just running around town.

David

Hi David

Glad you like the 200 but please no more reports on how great they are as i'm trying to forget my drive with Kimbo's as I'm not allowed to update :sad:

With regards to idleing down , yes I always let mine idle down, even around town I let it cool down for 15 seconds or so. When I fitted the 3" exhaust I fitted a EGT (Exhaust Gas Temp) gauge and it's great as I use that to tell me how long to let it idle down for and also when to back off going up Cunninghams gap.

When towing and cruising along the highway and then pulling into a roadhouse it can take the time I put 100l or so of fuel in for the EGT to show an acceptable level to switch off so certainly allow a lot longer when towing.

cheers

Darryl