Break Safe Series 5000

Tolley

Hello,

I need some advice. My van is fitted with the Break Safe 5000. Being a good little caravanner I have been working through all the recommended testing and maintenance tasks including those for the Break Safe.

Following the manufacturers instructions I tested the battery - OK - then I disconnected the trailer plugs from the tow vehicle and pulled the breakaway pin from the breakaway switch. I could not hear the brakes activating and the brake lights did not come on. Seems the system is faulty. I went looking for the fuses as it says to ckeck the "internal fuses" in such cases. I did not want to start pulling things apart with the total lack of knowledge that I possess before first finding out what I should pull apart to find these fuses.

I assume the fuses are inside the black Brake Safe box that is screwed to the wall in the van boot. Is that correct? Is there any issues or things I should know about before I get stuck into it? Has anyone else had to change or inspect these fuses?

Any advice will be appreciated.

Regards

Colin

Hi Collin

We had the same problem when we first picked up our van, and yes the fuse is in the box . the front of the box clips off and you will

be able to see it. I remember it was a mini fuse but i can't recall what size it was, but i do remember the front of the case was

a mongrel thing to replace .

Regards MAL.

Hello Collin

We had a similar problem. When you remove the pin, the mechanism that the pin operates doesn't function because of the amount of road grime and grit that has entered the area where the pin has been removed. Try spraying into the area where the pin come out with a good quality CRC and operating the pin several times to help lubricate the internal mechanism. Also check the pin, it has a locking head and the plastic pins have a tendency to break off and stay in - thereby stopping the mechanism from working.

Good luck

Ken and Jen

Hello,

I need some advice. My van is fitted with the Break Safe 5000. Being a good little caravanner I have been working through all the recommended testing and maintenance tasks including those for the Break Safe.

Following the manufacturers instructions I tested the battery - OK - then I disconnected the trailer plugs from the tow vehicle and pulled the breakaway pin from the breakaway switch. I could not hear the brakes activating and the brake lights did not come on. Seems the system is faulty. I went looking for the fuses as it says to ckeck the "internal fuses" in such cases. I did not want to start pulling things apart with the total lack of knowledge that I possess before first finding out what I should pull apart to find these fuses.

I assume the fuses are inside the black Brake Safe box that is screwed to the wall in the van boot. Is that correct? Is there any issues or things I should know about before I get stuck into it? Has anyone else had to change or inspect these fuses?

Any advice will be appreciated.

Regards

Colin

Hi Collin, Just had my Van in to Kedron and found that the breakaway system requires 12 volts to be supplied from the 7 pin trailer plug (pin 2 ) to keep the internal battery of the breakaway charged, if battery goes flat breaks engage!

It was identified that my socket was not providing power to pin 2, the way to check if yours is connected is to ensure that the red LED is on when van is connected to your vehicle.

An emergency solution is apparently to connect a battery to the red and black terminals on the breakaway unit to get the brakes to release.

Hope this assists

Best regards,

Peter.

Hi Peter,

(Quote, An emergency solution is apparently to connect a battery to the red and black terminals on the breakaway unit to get the brakes to release.)

A correction to your comment above.....

Yes....

Battery power (12v) is required from the tow vehicle to charge the auxillary battery in the Breakaway control unit.

If the 'Breakaway brakes' are activated, the battery in the control unit will supply the power to apply/operate the brakes. I believe with reserve capacity (& general condition) of the battery plus current draw of the unit there is sufficent power there to operate the brakes in a 'locked' condition for approx 15 minutes, after this time the brakes will release.

This is why the 'Breakaway' should NEVER be used (not that you indicated it should) to 'park or hold' the van when not connected to the tow vehicle. :)