iPad Navigation

Rick Johnson

Hi Everyone,

I have an iPad and the Mud Maps app to use for navigation in my LC200.

I would like some advice on mounting the iPad,I would preferably not want it attached to the windscreen but wonder if anyone has experience mounting elsewhere eg dash facia or centre console or floor?

All ideas/thoughts/photos welcome.

Thanks

Rick Johnson

Hi Rick,

sorry, I can't answer your question (being a Land Rover owner) but I would like to bring something to your attention that you may not know about. Not all iPad models have the built-in GPS. Those that don't can still navigate using the NextG wireless network. You have to very careful to determine how the iPad you are using is navigating because (as we found out the hard way with an iPhone), using the Telstra towers as navigation beacons is a VERY expensive business. Even if you have an in-built GPS you will have to be sure that it is being used as the primary navigation device, as it is easy enough to overlook that the Telstra network is doing the job.

One quick way of determining what is going on within your iPad is to turn off the wifi capabilities and check to see if you can still navigate.

Cheers

Russ

Hi Rick,

Have a look on ebay, I found this one the other day and have ordered one (not delivered yet) and I think it just might do the trick. I will be mounting it to the left of center so Liz can operate it and it will not obstruct the radio,air vents switches etc. My car is a Range Rover as I think you will remember.

Exogear Exomount Tablet Super Car Mount Holder iPad 1/2/3 Galaxy Tab Playbook ( 130725422046 )

If you want to wait until mine arrives, then you are welcome to come and have look to see if it will suit your car.

Cheers

Alan Jones

Hi Rick,

sorry, I can't answer your question (being a Land Rover owner) but I would like to bring something to your attention that you may not know about. Not all iPad models have the built-in GPS. Those that don't can still navigate using the NextG wireless network. You have to very careful to determine how the iPad you are using is navigating because (as we found out the hard way with an iPhone), using the Telstra towers as navigation beacons is a VERY expensive business. Even if you have an in-built GPS you will have to be sure that it is being used as the primary navigation device, as it is easy enough to overlook that the Telstra network is doing the job.

One quick way of determining what is going on within your iPad is to turn off the wifi capabilities and check to see if you can still navigate.

Cheers

Russ

Hi Russ

Thanks for the warning but it is not an issue as I have no Sim in the iPad and it is a WiFi model.

Cheers

Rick

Hi Rick,

Have a look on ebay, I found this one the other day and have ordered one (not delivered yet) and I think it just might do the trick. I will be mounting it to the left of center so Liz can operate it and it will not obstruct the radio,air vents switches etc. My car is a Range Rover as I think you will remember.

Exogear Exomount Tablet Super Car Mount Holder iPad 1/2/3 Galaxy Tab Playbook ( 130725422046 )

If you want to wait until mine arrives, then you are welcome to come and have look to see if it will suit your car.

Cheers

Alan Jones

Hi Alan,

Thanks for the offer and I will wait until you have yours. Give me a call on 0402 281 590 when it arrives.

Cheers

Rick

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Rick,

Heres a link worth having a look at
/>http://www.satechi.net/index.php/new-products/satechi-st-tp01-car-holder-mount-for-5to10inch-tablets-samsung-galaxy-tab-blackberry-playbook-htc-flyer

Regards