Our new TE at last. (Break-away system)

Hermit

Hi all, four weeks ago we picked-up our new TE from the Kedron boys and have just returned home to Townsville.

Well, we are absolutely rapt with the van. Have spent the last 4 weeks on the road in CP's and free camping. We can't wait to take it out again for another trip. Last week in Oct we are going to the Tinnaroo Dam near Atherton.

I have a question about the Break-Away system.....Tom at Kedron advised me that my van plug on the car dose not have a 12v charge wire connected to pin 2 for charging the Break-Away battery. My question is - Could I connect a 12v wire from the caravan internal battery system to keep the Break-Away battery charged?

Tom said the charge needed to come from the car, BUT, I can't understand why. Is it a legal requirement?

I can understand for a trailer/van without solar panels and a battery system, but, the TE has it's own 12v system that is self maintained. I could simply connect up a charge wire from the internal batteries to the Break-Away battery for charging with a switch to open the cct when testing (just like disconnecting from the vehicle). This would seem much more reliable and self contained.

Any advice from the more informed forumites!!

Rob

Townsville

Hi Rob,

We did just that with our last van - that is, had the breakaway wired to the house batteries but we have yet to get it done to our new van (Qld rego). There was a discussion on the Caravaners Forum some time ago which stated the manufacturer, Redarc, did not recommend wiring it to a house battery but my feelings were that was because a lot of 'average' vans just have one battery and no solar.

We tend to agree with you, that with more than one battery and solar panels to keep batteries charged there would be little risk to wiring it to the house batteries. I think in NSW they are required to have a light or signal in the tow vehicle cab to show the Breakaway is working to be able to pass registration requirements but I don't know how doing what you propose would affect that compliance.

CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR NEW TOY ROB.

It seems that KEDRON changes their mind on wireing up a van so often it's hard to keep up . our dec 2010 ATV has a switch in the boot to charge

the break- away battery , when we picked it up we were told if we wern't using the van for an extended period of time to turn it on aprox

every few weeks for a day or two, and that way it would always be charged.

REGARDS MAL.

Hi Rob

I had a problem with the battery in the breakaway system on previos van and contacted the manufacturer.I suggested connecting to house batteries and was told if the breakaway swithh is pulled out and left the battries will supply power long enough to cause magnets to catch fire. The small bat in the controler will go flat before this happens.

Cheers Lionel

• 2 weeks later...

We spoke to Tom about this when we picked up our TE four weeks ago and was told not to connect to house batteries and just change the battery every six months. From what I have read on various forums the advice changes as much as the weather in relation to this.

Do I love this van... you betcha, even she does.

Cheers

Merv/Di

Thanks for all the advice.

I have spoken to the manufacturer of the Break Safe system, Colin at RV Electronics, and he has advised me that it is ok to charge the Break Safe continuously from the on-board solar/battery system.

He said that the Break Safe has a charge monitoring circuit, so it's ok to leave it permanently on charge.

Rob

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the advice.

I have spoken to the manufacturer of the Break Safe system, Colin at RV Electronics, and he has advised me that it is ok to charge the Break Safe continuously from the on-board solar/battery system.

He said that the Break Safe has a charge monitoring circuit, so it's ok to leave it permanently on charge.

Rob

Hi.

I contacted RV Electronics RVE ref the charging and monitoring of the Break Safe system. Yes you can connect to the house batteries for recharging and also RVE informed me that they sell a monitor for installation on dash for $80 approx. This monitor is activated every time you apply your brakes GREEN light for fully charged unit batt and RED with audible alarm for discharged batt. The other news that was imparted is that NSW is making it compulsory to fit the monitor with all Vehicles towing vans reg in NSW. I hope this helps

PS. I have fitted the monitor and find comforting knowing the Break Safe Batt is charged

Tex

Hi All,

Have been told that the reason they would rather we use the small battery supplied with our system is that,when the safety brakes are activated the small battery will only last a hour or so.If connected to our big batteries the brake solenoids will work until they catch on fire or hopefully burn out.

Hi All,

Have been told that the reason they would rather we use the small battery supplied with our system is that,when the safety brakes are activated the small battery will only last a hour or so.If connected to our big batteries the brake solenoids will work until they catch on fire or hopefully burn out.