Trip to Tasmania (and Cape York report)

Fieldsie

We have just arrived back from our long anticipated trip up to the Cape. The road was better than I expected in parts (including some stretches of bitumen) but We were appalled at the actions of some of the cowboy drivers who overtook us at speeds well in excess of 100 kph at times. Most of these thoughtless drivers were young-uns towing their fold out camper-trailers who are so impatient to get where their going that they don't give a thought for anyone else.

There were a few fatalaties on the road in the time we were there and we witnessed the aftermath of a few roll-overs on the track.

On a happier note, our Kedron X-Country performed beautifully with very little troubles and nary a screw loose (except for the water filter which fell off. I don't know how I amm goint to replace it without removing the sink to get in behind it. Any suggestions?)

For anyone planning this trip, I can highly recommed a visit to the "Out of the Blue" cafe at Portland Road (close to Chilli Beach for the best fish and chips you are likely to get anywhere in Australia, nay in the World. Absolutely beautiful.

We are now eagerly planning our next venture to Tasmania in February of next year.

Since we had such good advice from members on our Cape York venture I am again seeking advice as to the best camping spots and places to visit in the Apple Isle.

I am a bit concerned in taking the van to some of the camp sites mentioned in Camps Australia Book

Also the cost of getting the truck, the van and ourselves across Bass Strait on the Ferry is turning out to be hellishly expensive - over $1600, that I am considering buying a small Kombi campervan for this trip thinking that I might save a fair bit on fares and fuel to pay for half of it. Any thoughts?

All suggetsions would be greatly appreciated.

Happy traveling,

John and Sandra

Hi John and Sandra, Good to read about the Cape trip, it's on our bucket list. :P

Regarding Tassie go for it but I would if I may, suggest to take your van realising it will be a little extra but I wonder how much you would actually save.

Even if it would be $800, you at least you won't have the hassle of trying to sell the camper-van later, and your van would have many more creature comforts and the ability to free camp I would think.

We were in Tassie a few years ago in February and some places it was bitterly cold at night so take your heater if you have one.

There are heaps of free camp spots every where .

They don't seem to mind where you park.

Most towns have caravan parks private or run by the shire.

We found that talking to fellow travellers the best.

One camp which springs to mind was on the old wharf under the Nut in Stanley they even had free showers there for the travellers.

If you can send some days at Port Arthur well worth it heaps of history there.

It's a great place to visit we were there for 5 weeks but that was not long enough would love to go back one day.

Enjoy the planning that's half the fun I recon. :lol:

John

Hi Fieldsie.

We are going to Tassie on the 27th January next year. We booked & paid for our trip on 27th February this year at a cost of $1039

We are driving a Chev Silverado towing a 18'6 (inside) TE with an extended draw bar, as we are over length(14.30 mtrs.) we had to trick the booking computer,we decided to go over as day trippers which has saved a considerable amount of money. As yet we have not booked a return trip but will be flying back to Brissie Easter week for G/Daughters 18th. As we have unlimited time our return will be determined by weather etc.

Happy safe travelling.

Sue

Hi Fieldsie,

Great to learn that you had a great trip. It is a special part of the world, isn't it? Gayleen and I always feel a bit sad when we leave the Cape and head home.

I did mention those idiot drivers in my posts to you back in March etc. It is such a pity as these idiots cause such damage to equipment and place us all in danger. I am on my fourth windscreen in under three years, all due to flying idiots.

If you have written a trip report I would love to read it.

Regards

Colin

We have just arrived back from our long anticipated trip up to the Cape. The road was better than I expected in parts (including some stretches of bitumen) but We were appalled at the actions of some of the cowboy drivers who overtook us at speeds well in excess of 100 kph at times. Most of these thoughtless drivers were young-uns towing their fold out camper-trailers who are so impatient to get where their going that they don't give a thought for anyone else.

There were a few fatalaties on the road in the time we were there and we witnessed the aftermath of a few roll-overs on the track.

On a happier note, our Kedron X-Country performed beautifully with very little troubles and nary a screw loose (except for the water filter which fell off. I don't know how I amm goint to replace it without removing the sink to get in behind it. Any suggestions?)

For anyone planning this trip, I can highly recommed a visit to the "Out of the Blue" cafe at Portland Road (close to Chilli Beach for the best fish and chips you are likely to get anywhere in Australia, nay in the World. Absolutely beautiful.

We are now eagerly planning our next venture to Tasmania in February of next year.

Since we had such good advice from members on our Cape York venture I am again seeking advice as to the best camping spots and places to visit in the Apple Isle.

I am a bit concerned in taking the van to some of the camp sites mentioned in Camps Australia Book

Also the cost of getting the truck, the van and ourselves across Bass Strait on the Ferry is turning out to be hellishly expensive - over $1600, that I am considering buying a small Kombi campervan for this trip thinking that I might save a fair bit on fares and fuel to pay for half of it. Any thoughts?

All suggetsions would be greatly appreciated.

Happy traveling,

John and Sandra

John & Sandra, I was told by a couple from Tassie [while we were at Niagara Dam in W.A.] that if they had travelled with there car only it was $90 plus their fares but when they added van it was $1600 return as it is classed as freight,needless to say they were not happy as it goes on total length of combination.So mabee kombi option is worth a look at.

Great adventures

Neville & Kay

• 2 months later...

Hi Fieldsie in your opinion when would be the best time of the year to go to the top re river crossings, crowds etc?

Cheers

Darrell

Darrell,

Excuse me for butting in but June is the best month and plan to be out of there before the school holidays.

Regards

Colin

Darrell,

Excuse me for butting in but June is the best month and plan to be out of there before the school holidays.

Regards

Colin

We were at the Cape during August this year. Even then the days were very hot, but we were told that we had missed the big crowds that had been there earlier. It's a bit of a raffle deciding "the best" time but it obviously has to be during the dry season.

I agree with the comment made elsewhere that there are some idiot and impatient (young??) drivers up there. We experienced impatience and lack of consideration while we were paying the fare for the Jardine ferry. Several vehicles drove around our rig to claim an earlier spot. Coming back we were passed at speed as we were slowing at the ferry approach - again to claim an earlier spot.

But the ones that caused us most annoyance were the tour bus drivers on the narrow approach to the Cape itself. We had several near misses on blind bends as the buses were being driven at, what we considered, excessive speed. :angry:

Ignoring the negatives, we had a wonderful time up there. It is a place that everyone who even thinks about it should make the effort to get there. :)

Cheers,

Bill

Hello,

As Bill and Wendy discovered, after the June and July school holidays the Cape is less busy. The weather can, however, be hotter than say, June. I have taken my van up into Cape York twice but I have also been up there, and the Islands, on business, travelling by air. My experience tells me that late May or early June is the best time to drive up there for the following reasons:

1. The southernerrs have not arrived so it is quiet.

2. The roads are freshly graded and are the best they will be that season.

3. It is cooler weather.

4. It is not school holiday time .

5. Camp sites are readily available.

6. The rivers and falls still have plenty of water in them.

But, remember, if you are visiting Weipa, there is only one CP and in June they have the Weipa fishing tournament so check the dates for that in your planning.

Regards

Colin

Hi John and Sandra

Yes. It will cost you a bit to come to tassie, But you are going over in peek time.

Coming from Queenland you may find it cold. Pack another coat.You can get four season in one day.No matter what time of the year.

Just take your time traveling around.There is a lot to see . The Wall in the wilderness is a must see cost about $15.00,well worth the money, it is at Derwent Bridge,the wood carvings in the north east at Legerwood all cut with a chainsaw, and it is free.Great free camp at North East Park in Scottsdale.

As I said just take your time.