Landcruiser 200 Transmission Behaviour

Alan and Jayne

G'day all

We're updating our tow vehicle. Mostly due to the fact that the new VW Touareg only comes with a collapsible spare which is rated to 80kms/hour which can't be used on dirt roads or when towing, we're considering a 200 Series Landcruiser Sahara.

I've already studied all the suspension requirements needed for our 21' TopEnder, so that's covered.

What I am concerned about is the transmissions behaviour when towing. During the test drive I've just undertaken, obviouly without the TopEnder on, I noticed that even if you have the transmission selected in a specific gear, it still will change down when you accelerate.

Am I missing something here? Is there a way on the Landcruiser where you can lock it into a specific gear & it won't change down?

Please don't give me statements like "you should let it change down as it wants" I know when to change down etc, & I want to be in control of this, not the car.

The VW Touareg allows you to select a gear & providing the revs remain above the 1500, it does not change down, no matter how hard you accelerate.

The Landcruiser didn't seem to be able to do this.

I would like to hear from Landcruiser 200 series owners who have 1st hand experience with this as to what I can expect.

It's a shame to move away from the Touareg, it's been a great tow vehicle for our heavy TopEnder.

Thanks.

Cheers

Alan

Allan

The toyota system only allows you to select the highest gear the box can to go too

For example if you move the s selector to 2 then the box will not go higher than second gear (useful when wanting some engine braking) or alternatively if you select 5 then the box will never go into sixth gear

That said if you select 2 at 80km/hr the system will not allow the box to shift until the speed and revs and gearing match (thus protecting the gearbox and motor) but once it does shift 2 will be the highest it will then go

The s mode is not like a triptronic gearshift (unfortunately)

Hope this makes sense

Regards

Jaap

G'day,

I know nothing about 200 Series Tojos, but I had a similar instance recently with my new Disco 4. Turns out that the box would not allow manual selection of gears at all - if cruise control is engaged. By turning cruise off, then using the manual selector, all worked as intended. Once I had manually selected a gear, cruise could then be re-engaged.

I would caution against second guessing your transmission. When I got my first automatic tug I spent a long time researching, asking Land Rover dealers and mechanics and anyone else who would listen "What gear should I select for towing?" The best answer came from Land Rover in England who said in an email, "The engine and transmission control systems are designed to deliver optimum transfer of power and torque to your wheels. These systems are adaptive and interact with each other. Taken into account are: fuel consumption, engine load, transmission load, TRANSMISSION TEMPERATURE, engine temperature and other factors. Land Rover strongly advise against the use of manual selection of gears when towing. Damage caused to the transmission by misuse would not be covered under your warranty." I think that pretty much said it all and I have left the tranny in "D" for drive ever since, four years of which I have been pulling an overweight Topender.

Just a question: If you are happy with a Toureg, why wouldn't you have the stupid spare that they supply and a full-size spare for off-road situatons - which you could probably mount on the van somewhere?

Cheers

Russ

G'day Reece, Jaap & Russ

Great input guys, & thanks.

Jaap, that's exactly what I experienced when I was on the test drive. Seems a strange way for the box to operate.

Russ, what you have said is the option used by many who tow a heavy van. However I like to be in control of the gear selection when the car's working hard. Highway cruising is easy, let the car work it out.

As we have our boat & 2 bikes on the roof, outboard on the A-frame, this leaves only room for one Touareg spare on the back of the van via removing the 2nd Kedron spare. I carry two spares for the Touareg. I wouldn't dare do what we do with our setup with only one spare.

We're looking at a GMC right now. I was inches away from ordering the Landcruiser. But there seems to be too many weight & transmission issues for me. We might end up with the Landy yet, with the GVM upgrade, but Toyota Australia Head Office told me today this upgrade voids your (running gear?) warranty, even though it's dealer fitted before the 1st registration.

Thanks again guys.

Cheers

Alan

G'day Reece

Thanks for that. What happens if you have it in S6? Does it stay locked when you encounter a hill?

Cheers

Alan

Hi,

My experience with the 200 is that it simply won't get into S6 until the speed reaches something over 100 kph. When it does get there if falls back to S5 when the speed drops. ie it is a five speed at all speeds that most of us would use regularly when towing.

Cheers,

Hi Alan,

Suggest you have a look at the 200 section on www.lcool.org you may have to join to access, but its free..... heaps of info there :D

Lots of discussion on this very topic & also great discussion on which gear to tow in

Thanks guys for your input.

Heaps of stuff on the lcool site. I think I need to lay down after reading it all.

Towing in drive or S5 seems to be the answer for the Landcruiser 200. Which is ok I guess, but I just liked the ability to be "in control". Pity they don't make a manual Sahara. :rolleyes:

Cheers

Alan

Why don't you just buy a GMC/Silverado??

The GMC has similar specs the Sahara and will be around the same money, if not cheaper.

You will have power to burn and you will have better fuel economy.

You can tow in any gear you wish and you can drive it as a manual if your heart desires.

The comfort is 2nd to none and it tows my 4 ton TE as if it wasn't there. At 110kms it idles along at 1500rpm and when you put your foot down to overtake a road train the beast comes alive effortlessly and gets the job done as if you were not towing at all (my wife says it does it too easy as it will hit 150kpm very quickly before you realise).

It solves all the weight issues of the heavy van and makes towing relaxing and a pleasure to do so knowing the vehicle is doing it easy as opposed to stressing about being on the vehicles being on its weight limits and power limits

The exhaust brakes(standard feature) are very effective and also saves on wear and tear of the vehicle and van brakes

Before you decide, do your homework as the GMC, while is certainly longer(6M), it is only about 50 mm wider than most of the larger 4wds(unlike the F250). The GMC is a born tow vehicle and you owe it to your self to at least drive one before you decide.

If you wish to know more, just ask as I was like you ……… unsure which way to go. I am certainly glad I went the way I have.

Cheers

Why don't you just buy a GMC/Silverado??

The GMC has similar specs the Sahara and will be around the same money, if not cheaper.

You will have power to burn and you will have better fuel economy.

You can tow in any gear you wish and you can drive it as a manual if your heart desires.

The comfort is 2nd to none and it tows my 4 ton TE as if it wasn't there. At 110kms it idles along at 1500rpm and when you put your foot down to overtake a road train the beast comes alive effortlessly and gets the job done as if you were not towing at all (my wife says it does it too easy as it will hit 150kpm very quickly before you realise).

It solves all the weight issues of the heavy van and makes towing relaxing and a pleasure to do so knowing the vehicle is doing it easy as opposed to stressing about being on the vehicles being on its weight limits and power limits

The exhaust brakes(standard feature) are very effective and also saves on wear and tear of the vehicle and van brakes

Before you decide, do your homework as the GMC, while is certainly longer(6M), it is only about 50 mm wider than most of the larger 4wds(unlike the F250). The GMC is a born tow vehicle and you owe it to your self to at least drive one before you decide.

If you wish to know more, just ask as I was like you ……… unsure which way to go. I am certainly glad I went the way I have.

Cheers

G'day Steve

We actually went &o looked at a GMC 2500HD SLT today. Very impressive, but very big.

Unfortunately I do a lot of driving in Sydney (I'm still working), & this is just beyond what I want to drive around Sydney on a full-time basis. It was a lovely vehicle & if I was 60% of my time out-there I wouldn't hesitate in getting the GMC.

I loved all the towing features. It runs rings around a Landcruiser. If only it was a bit smaller.

It certainly has all the bells & whistles.

Maybe it'll be my next vehicle.

Thanks for your input.

Cheers

Alan

(Snip)....If only it was a bit smaller.

I am completely in agreement with you on this one. The beast is waaay too big for everyday use. In fact, the 200 series can be hard to find a car park for in the city, sometimes.

I am aware of some folk who were towing an offroader (not a Kedron) with a Silverado some years ago, and got themselves into a tight scrape at a turnout on the Great Ocean Road. The van and the car were just too big a unit and they found they couldn't turn the rig to get out. It was so traumatising for the couple they sold the van and the vehicle soon afterwards. Apparently the Silverado's turning circle is huge.

It clearly suits some folk but it wouldn't suit us.

Chris

Would have to disagree with you on the turning circle Chris.

We have gone from a Patrol to the GMC with very little effort at all. My wife parks it no problem, but in saying that we have always "picked" our parking spot to try and avoid the usual car park damage.

Believe all the stories you like, as most are only "stories".

We are currently working in the Big 4 caravan park in Alice Springs and I would have to say that 60% of the people who come in shouldn’t be towing a van at all, so I have no doubt that people get themselves into trouble and then panic as some people seem to have their ambitions mixed up with their capabilities

If you want a car for the city ……………… buy a buzz box. If you want a tow vehicle for a heavy van …………… Buy a GMC/Silverado

Drive one before you make judgement

Would have to disagree with you on the turning circle Chris.

We have gone from a Patrol to the GMC with very little effort at all. My wife parks it no problem, but in saying that we have always "picked" our parking spot to try and avoid the usual car park damage.

Believe all the stories you like, as most are only "stories".

We are currently working in the Big 4 caravan park in Alice Springs and I would have to say that 60% of the people who come in shouldn’t be towing a van at all, so I have no doubt that people get themselves into trouble and then panic as some people seem to have their ambitions mixed up with their capabilities

If you want a car for the city ……………… buy a buzz box. If you want a tow vehicle for a heavy van …………… Buy a GMC/Silverado

Drive one before you make judgement

I'm glad it suits you, Steve and Kez.

Chris