The Outback Way

Tolley

Hi to all those headed to Winton, we have arrived today at the Long Waterhole where we will stay until Thursday as we are booked into the Pelican CP after that. It is glorious out here, the weather is perfect, though very dry and quite windy. Maybe 20 assorted vans here with us, so not too crowded. We will be doing some sightseeing until we meet up with the rest of the group bound for the outback way.

Cheers

Nev and Penny

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Nev & Penny

We are currently at Jericho and will be at the Pelican CP Thursday. If you are looking for something different to do Bladensberg NP is a few Km out past the long water hole.

Well, it looks like ourt Outback Way trip is over before it begins! Got to Ilfracombe CP today from Isisford as we have a few things to take care of here.

The fridge hinge that we replaced back in November has broken, exactly as the previous one did. Not happy, Jan!

Not likely that we can get a replacement before 1st June. Will try out rapid fix tomorrow and call Camec and maybe Kedron about a replacement. But not holding out a lot of hope. :-(

That's very disappointing. Can't believe it broke again. Hoe you can get another in time to continue your adventure.

Camec usually post stuff off pretty quickly if you give them a call. Happy to pick it up at the Post Office here in Alice if you want to get it sent here. That's if you can get the fridge door to stay shut until you get here.

Hello All,

Lesley, that is bad luck. Hope you get a fix ASAP and that we meet in Winton.

I am in Hugenden about to leave for Julia Creek. Gayleen and I are making client visits to all the regional councils who we do business with. We will go as far west as Cloncurry before back tracking to Winton ETA Thursday.

Passed Zolle yesterday as they headed east. Parked next to an ATV2 here in Hughenden CP. it is all sealed up with blinds drawn up and windows closed. It has occupants as I have heard some noise and saw a sliver of light but no one has emerged from it, to my knowledge, since 3.00 PM yesterday!

I am not on normal email as we are, in our business, installing new IT systems including migrating everything to Cloud 365. It is a big job. In the meantime I can be contacted on coltol@me.com

I note that all roads are now open with cautions re corrugations, washouts west of Yulara.

It is COLD out here as well. The weather is just beautiful.

Regards

Colin

Thanks for the offers and good wishes everyone. Called Camec first thing this morning and they are dispatching the part via TNT Express to the CP here in Ilfracombe. We are not game to drive with the fridge as is so have decided to sit it out till the courier arrives, hopefully Thursday but that may be wishful thinking.

Will keep you posted.

Hello,

We have first hand information from John & Ann who have just completed the GCR from west to east. The elements of the report are that the road from Yulara to the WA border is scrappy but doable easily from slow to medium speed. From the border to the west are varied from excellent with patches of both light and heavy corrugations. John traversed the road at speeds from 60 to 90 kph.

That is all good news and dispels some of my 4.00 am fears that the roads were impassable!!! Must be an age thing!

Thanks John and Ann. I hope we meet in the Alice area.

Regards

Colin

1369696391' post='10109']

Thanks for the offers and good wishes everyone. Called Camec first thing this morning and they are dispatching the part via TNT Express to the CP here in Ilfracombe. We are not game to drive with the fridge as is so have decided to sit it out till the courier arrives, hopefully Thursday but that may be wishful thinking.

Will keep you posted.

Same thing happened to us last year after the GRR, the hinge between the two doors fell apart when we went to store the groceries in Port Hedland. Camec sent a replacement but we managed to get a local metal shop to repair it, very neat job and much stronger than the couple of token tacks of the original version, cost of repair was a donation so I gave him $20.

Might be a backup option for you?

RegardsJohn

We previously had a problem with as fridge hinge in our first Kedron and Val sorted that out by taking it to an engineering firm who were able to do stainless steel welding. That fixed it so comprehensively that I am confident it will not break again. Ever.

We have now arrived in Alice and caught up with Webby, Jacky Jacky and the Flynns. The weather is sunny and cool but rain is due today the BOM says. I reckon it will be OK for mid June, though. Well, I am hoping....

Chris

Hello

Well the day arrived. We are all here except the Nuts in Winton. Great group of people all getting to know one another. Hoping Eric and Lesley can join us soon.

The Winton Pelican caravan park looks like the Kedron sales yard at Kedron on Gympie Road. Jan would be proud of us.

I think this will be a great trip.

Regards

Colin

Hello

Well the day arrived. We are all here except the Nuts in Winton. Great group of people all getting to know one another. Hoping Eric and Lesley can join us soon.

The Winton Pelican caravan park looks like the Kedron sales yard at Kedron on Gympie Road. Jan would be proud of us.

I think this will be a great trip.

Regards

Colin

Hi Colin, it may pay to tell everybody to put their plugs in the sink, bath, and vanity basin. Came thru Diamantina National Park yesterday and unbelievable to see how much dust came up thru the kitchen sink. Wind must have been in from the right direction as it hasn't happened before..

A safe journey to one and all.

Den and Col in last chance.

Hi all - Just want to wish you all happy and safe travels and will be looking forward to reading all about your wonderful trip. We have just arrived back home after a failed attempt to reach Mt Augustus through our station country, rain stopped play as the dirt roads turned to rivers. Great for the graziers not for us as they shut the roads, wasn't far for us to go so will go again soon.

Cheers

Sue

Ian & sue,

Thank you for your good wishes for the group. We have had a couple of good days in Winton including a good night at the North Gregory pub, and today a great drive together from Winton to Boulia. The Boulia Cp is good and we had two birthday celebrations, cake, candles and champers at happy hour tonight.

It is a great group of people, largely strangers until a couple of days ago, and we are having fun.

Tomorrow, Min Min Lights show and then off to free camp by the Georgina River.

Kind regards and many thanks,

Colin

We have, unfortunately, had to withdraw from the Outback Way trip with the group as Murphy has conspired against us. We are now in Mt Isa awaiting yet another part but hope to catch up with Chris and Val and Kay and Bruce to do the GCR a few days after the KOGGERS depart. At this point, Iam not willing to put my money where my mouth is!

We have, unfortunately, had to withdraw from the Outback Way trip with the group as Murphy has conspired against us. We are now in Mt Isa awaiting yet another part but hope to catch up with Chris and Val and Kay and Bruce to do the GCR a few days after the KOGGERS depart. At this point, Iam not willing to put my money where my mouth is!

Sorry to here you won't be joining us. Murphy is alive and well.

Peter and Margaret

Hello Everyone,

We are in Gemtree. The Plenty Hwy was dusty but smooth except for the last bit as we approached Gemtree.

We are sorry to learn that Erich and Lesley are withdrawing from the trip and we were all disappointed that they did not catch up with us at Tobermorey.

As the Trip Leader I might be biased but I am confident that all participants would agree that we have had a great time. Good company in some beautiful country all sharing a great experience.

This morning we are off to Old Ambalindum HS for our last night together before four days of doing your own thing in the Alice area.

We have lots of great photos and I am sure some will appear on this site soon.

Regards to all.

Colin

Great to hear from you Colin, love your unbias point of view too :lol: Seriously, how could anyone on the trip not be having the best time ever on such a well thought out trip with so many wonderful people and their great Kedron caravans. I am soooo envious and hate being stuck here, I want to move to the east so that we can join in.

Post photos soon please, I can't wait to see.

Hello,

We are now all safely in Alice, doing our own thing for four days.

Yesterday and today we had a great drive from Gemtree along the Binns Track. Everybody enjoyed the drive and the magnificent scenery of the East MacDonnell Ranges. What magnificent country. It is so ancient it is awe inspiring.

Today has been restocking etc for Phase 2.

It is spitting rain in Alice but I do not expect the rain to affect our plans. Phase 1 went too quickly, it was such an enjoyable time. We will have ten vans in Phase 2, across the GCR.

If the internet permits, I will post some photos from Phase 1 from Ayers Rock in to next day or two.

Can't believe how busy the Alice is with the Finke Desert Races happening!!

Regards to all,

Colin

What a trip! I'm sure this will be one of those experiences that stays with us forever. When looking back on our lives this will be a standout experience. A great group of people...no cliches and no pain in the A's. Colin and Gaylene have done a wonderful job of organising it.