The Outback Way

Tolley

Good luck with that cleanup John and Maureen. I have started polishing the checkerplate back to new. It takes quite a long time and I do a section each day.

Here is a pic of the front. I have left the boot lids unpolished for this photo to show the difference. They are clean, but just imbedded with "Pilbara Red".

I'm impressed with the end result. Will attack the A frame with some Shower Power or Diggers Rust and Stain Remover (from Bunnings) down the track.

Anyone have a suggestion on what to use on the stone bra?

post-1-0-78583600-1375594286_thumb.jpg

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Sue what is the polish that you used on the checherplate.Was it shower power alone.I have used the diggers rust and stain remover on the chassis but game to use it on the aluminium. Richard.

Hi Richard

I used Zephyr Pro-40 Perfection Metal Polish on the checkerplate. I got on to an American truck enthusiasts forum and that was what they were recommending to polish all the metal on their trucks for their "Shine and Shows". Good enough for me. It's great stuff.

I have heard from others that Wicked Metal Polish was good for the checkerplate also, but I can't comment on that as I have not used it.

I got the Zephyr polish from - http://www.truckbitsaust.com.au/zephyr-pro-40-perfection-metal-polish-473ml/

Shower Power has been recommended for the chassis only. I certainly would not use it on the checkerplate, nor would I use the Diggers Rust and Stain Remover on the checkerplate (because of the acid content). But that's just me. Others have used it and love it, but to me, it would remove that "mirror" finish, and I would like to keep that look for as long as possible.

I have used both Wicked and Purple Ally polish. Both do a great job. ;)

Cheers

Rick

Hello Koggers,

Now I am safely back home I have been reflecting on the Kedron trip macros the deserts. It was a wonderful group of people and the group possessed a wide variety of very useful skills. Neville, Evo, Stewart and Greg were standouts in the fixing field. Neville in particular has a great depth of skills and knowledge when it comes to fixing things. However, as shown in the picture attached some things were even beyond his skills.

Regards to all,

Colin

PS, a Diggers Rust and Stain remover worked a treat on my checkerplate. I gave it two applications of CT18 but the red stain persisted. Wiped the oxalic acid on with a sponge and immediately hosed it off with copious quantities of water. Shines like a new pin!!

Hi Colin and Gayleen

Glad to here you have arrived home safely; and back to reality.

I used Shower Power on our ATV for two, particularly on the chassis. It looks shiny and new again, and ready to go again.

All the best.

Peter and Margaret

Hello Koggers,

Now I am safely back home I have been reflecting on the Kedron trip macros the deserts. It was a wonderful group of people and the group possessed a wide variety of very useful skills. Neville, Evo, Stewart and Greg were standouts in the fixing field. Neville in particular has a great depth of skills and knowledge when it comes to fixing things. However, as shown in the picture attached some things were even beyond his skills.

Regards to all,

Colin

PS, a Diggers Rust and Stain remover worked a treat on my checkerplate. I gave it two applications of CT18 but the red stain persisted. Wiped the oxalic acid on with a sponge and immediately hosed it off with copious quantities of water. Shines like a new pin!!

I could of fixed it , if I had more time ;)

We have just arrived in Darwin and will be here for a week before heading into Kakadu.

Nice to here those that are home have made it safely.

Nev & Penny

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Koggers,

Talk about "just in time"! Heard on the 8.00 am ABC radio news that the Labor party has promised to fund to fund the development and sealing of the Outback Way!! Sheesh! Where can we go next to get away from the black toppers? :D

Regards

Colin

Hi Colin

I wouldn`t hold your breath for that to happen. DHs! oops! I mean Polys of all stripes have been promising to seal the Great Central Rd. for about 30 yrs. :D

Cheers

Rick

Can't see it happening myself. Can you imagine the red tape involved in passing through (or even near some of those aboriginal communities) with a bulldozer and bitumen truck. Think of the dramas we had with getting a permit just to breathe their air for a while - not allowed to take more than 3 days, can't go more than 30 metres off the road etc etc etc.

Although it would be nice, I can't see it happening in the immediate future. I also agree with Rick.

• 2 months later...

Hello,

At long last I have completed, subject to final editing, the trip report for this trip. It is in two parts and contains a lot of photographs. Before too long I plan to post the reports in the members section of this site.

Regards

Colin

• 5 months later...

Hello Koggers,

I have had difficulties uploading my trip report from The Outback Way Trip. However, with the help of Chris (Web Guru)we have put the reports in the Trip and Gathering part of the Members Section. Its in two parts.

If you are interested, have a look.

And, thank you Chris for your help.

Regards

Colin

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

It seems that the link to the report from my drop box has expired, whatever that means. I am trying to renew it.

Regards

Colin

Hello,

Here is the re-established link to the trip report

/>https://www.dropbox.com/s/5q7g8dnmilwkpqh/Trip%20Report%20-Outback%20Way%202013.pdf?n=119933804

Regards

Colin

• 3 months later...

Hello,

I am absolutely surprised that this thread has had so many hits, over 23,000, and that the number keeps growing. I can only assume that the reason people are still visiting the threads is to read the Trip Report. This morning I noticed that the link to the Trip Report had expired so I renewed it below.

/>https://www.dropbox.com/s/ckdrppy99agf3cj/Trip%20Report%20-Outback%20Way%202013.zip?n=119933804

Regards

Colin

Hello,

I am absolutely surprised that this thread has had so many hits, over 23,000, and that the number keeps growing. I can only assume that the reason people are still visiting the threads is to read the Trip Report. This morning I noticed that the link to the Trip Report had expired so I renewed it below.

/>https://www.dropbox.com/s/ckdrppy99agf3cj/Trip%20Report%20-Outback%20Way%202013.zip?n=119933804

Regards

Colin

Thank you Colin for the link. As a 'new' Keddy owner it made for good reading and something to put on the bucket list.

Well done.

Regards

Michael

Hi Michael,

A little bit OT (off topic)

Welcome to the group, you will 'find' lots of useful information on this website & news about upcoming gatherings.

Looking forward to meeting you one day, down the road. :D

• 4 months later...

Hello Koggers,

I have noticed that the link to the Outback Way trip report that I refreshed last August is not working again. I have refreshed it again.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ckdrppy99agf3cj/Trip%20Report%20-Outback%20Way%202013.zip?dl=0

I continue to ne surprised at the popularity of this thread and this report. It has had over 27,000 views.

Regards

Colin