The Outback Way

Tolley

HI TOLLEY

Not possible for us to tag along (worst luck)as we will be in a totaly different direction. :( but we will be following

your trip with great intrest. Ihave just had a look at your proposed itinery posted back in dec, and it's good to see that

your biggest day is only travelling 358k, plenty of time to look around and enjoy the country side.

REGARDS MAL

PS i just did a quick check of the Ks on your first leg of trip and i came up with 1175Ks not 1762Ks,a saving

of 587Ks. (Now the way the present government would put a spin on that would be.)----

587Ks average out at 118Lts,x aprox 12 vehicles =1416Ltrs @ say $1.50 per Ltr total saving ,a Whopping $2124.00 HOW GOOD ARE WE. :rolleyes:. LOL.

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello Mal,

I am in for a busy day today and tomorrow (19 people for lunch) on things other than caravans but as soon as I can I will run the pencil over my distances and additions etc.

Pity that you will not be able to join. It is shaping up as a great trip.

Regards

Colin

Hullo Colin

Margaret and I plan to be in Central Australia the same time. If you have a space, we would like to do the Yulara to Laverton leg of the trip with our ATV for two. Some of our friends on the list have been twisting our arms!!!!!!!

Cheers

Peter

Hello Mal,

The ninteen guests for Sunday lunch have been and gone and we arer both still alive to tell the tale. It was a good day!

Mal, with your sums you are correct, well, almost. I had made a simple error in my formula for the sum cell which has now been corrected. The correct figure is 1,187 km. I have attached a revised edition to this response. Thanks for the advice Mal. It was a good spot!

Kind regards

Colin

Hullo Colin

Margaret and I plan to be in Central Australia the same time. If you have a space, we would like to do the Yulara to Laverton leg of the trip with our ATV for two. Some of our friends on the list have been twisting our arms!!!!!!!

Cheers

Peter

Hello Peter,

Welcome to the group. I have sent you a PM.

Regards

Colin

Hello Peter,

Welcome to the group. I have sent you a PM.

Regards

Colin

Hi Colin, Looked over your trip planing and it does look great. I feel it will be one of those trips that we will be cursing that we didn't get to do it with you. Wishing you and the group every success with the trip.

Dennis and Colleen

G'day Dennis and Colleen,

Thank you for your good wishes. It is very thoughtful of both of you. It is shaping up to be a good trip. Like minded people doing what we love in a beautiful country. Can't get much better than that!

Regards

Colin

Hello Everyone,

The Outback Way group size now stands at 14 caravans. We have decided that the group has now reached its maximum managable size. As a consequence the group is now closed to new applicants.

However, we will start a wait list of any further applicants and they will be dealt with on a first come first served basis. There is the possibility that for a wide variety of reasons, some of the fourteen applicants may not be able to make the trip. In that event the first on the wait list will be added and so on.

The interest in this trip has greatly exceeded my expetations. It is shaping up as a great trip. The sight of thirteen Kedrons and one Coromal out there will be spectacular.

It is only 136 days until we cross the start line at Winton.

Regards to all

Colin

Hello Interested Outback Way Travellers,

Attached is a first cut proposed Itinery. Comments please.

Regards

Colin

Hi Colin,

Have just come across your planned trip, we picked up our new 21ft TE August 2012 . Previously owned a Jayco for six years and then built a van which we travelled in for a couple of yrs. We were planing a trip to the cape but your trip caught our eye. if theres room please put us on your list we in a position of relative flexibility so are pretty sure at this stage we can make a committement now and plan toward that.

grant and Jane Armstrong

Taree N S W

Janearms@bigpond.net.au

Hello Barney,

It must be your lucky day! Yesterday I closed the list of Outback Wayers as we had reached our maximum number of 14 vans. Read my post of yesterday. However, yesterday, one of the fourteen had to pull out for family reasons so a vacancy for one was created. You are the first to express an interest so you are in!!

Welcome to you Grant and Jane. You have supplied your email address so I will contact you today and send you information to bring you up to speed.

Regards

Colin

Hello Interested Outback Way Travellers,

Attached is a first cut proposed Itinery. Comments please.

Regards

Colin

That itinery looks about right, having just completed the Outback Way ourselves in our Kedron.

As a rule, I don't go around advertising my product on forums (not good form), but in this case, I feel it's appropriate. I've just published my latest DVD "Grey Nomad 104 - Traveling the Outback Way" and I believe it may assist greatly in your trip planning. Including some modifications to the itinery (eg why you wouldn't want to stay at Spotted Tiger or Docker River), and our experiences with Geocaching on this route (be prepared for disappointment, they've mostly been muggled). I interworked with the GM of outbackway.org.au in preparing for this project, and found their route brochure very helpful, likewise the Hema Guide to the Outback Way. Good luck with the trip, I'll follow it with interest! If you get lucky with road conditions, you'll have a ball. If you get as unlucky as we did, you might be in for an interesting time, especially if any of you haven't been much off the bitumen before. I'm still repairing the damage to our Kedron . . .

Sid (www.greynomad101.com)

Hello Sid,

Thanks for your post and your information about your CD on the Outback Way. I have just been on your website and ordered GN104. I'm looking forward to mseeing it.

Sid, any advice you have about overnight stopping places, or any other matter, would be most welcome. We will have 14 vans travelling.

Regards

Colin

Hello Sid,

Thanks for your post and your information about your CD on the Outback Way. I have just been on your website and ordered GN104. I'm looking forward to mseeing it.

Sid, any advice you have about overnight stopping places, or any other matter, would be most welcome. We will have 14 vans travelling.

Regards

Colin

Yep, your order is in the mail already Colin.

You'll see the places we stopped at, mostly free-camping, and it pretty well lines up with the itinery on this forum, with a couple of exceptions. The reason I've warned about Spotted Tiger and Docker River is because these sites have fallen into disrepair due to an apparent lack of maintenance. They must have been fabulous when they were first provided, and the idea was that they would be hosted and maintained by the local community. I'll say no more on that, but we finished up camping further down the track. Mind you, with fully self-sufficient vans, you could still stop at these places, just don't expect the toilets or taps to work!

I won't wax lyrical any more here, because I wouldn't know where to start. I suggest you take a look at the DVD (runs for over 4 hours) and then if there's anything I haven't covered, give me a shout and I'll address any further questions you may have.

Also, please don't get the idea I'm warning against doing this trip, I'm not. It's just another gravel road at the end of the day, and can therefore vary from good to rotten in the space of a few days or a hundred kilometres. It's just that this one's a bloody long way, so if you have some idea what you're in for, it has to help.

Cheers

Sid

Hello Sid,

Thanks once again for the info. And, that is fast service with your CD.

I note that you completed the trip in late September. One of the reasons I am planning an early June start is to hopefully encounter freshly graded roads. My experience to date with remote councils etc., is that they get onto the roads early in the season and generally only do them once. By seasons end they are showing all the signs of the traffic that has gone before you.

Being independent and self contained is the great benefit of Kedron ownership. We have checked the availability of water and fuel which are really the only limiting factors and both are readily available. The water can be a bit ordinary, according to reports, but at least it is wet!

I'll keep in touch.

Regards

Colin

Hello,

Orders for the spare wheel covers have now been placed. Those who have ordered can expect to hear from Helen soon. I look forward to getting mine.

Regards

Colin

Good Morning Sid Fish,

Sid, your DVD's arrived yesterday and Gayleen and I had an enjoyable evening watching both CD's. We learnt a lot and, as a consequence, I am going to recommend to our Outback Way group some changes to the proposed itinerary.

Your bit on speed over corrugations is something I would enjoy discussing with you over a beer. I am not a believer of driving at speed to skim over the top especially while towing a van. I have made a mental note never to buy a second hand ex-Britz Landcruiser as they appear to only rent to drivers who believe in skimming corrugations at high speed :D . This topic may make a good thread in this forum.

Regards

Colin

Hello Everyone,

Attached is our slightly modified itinerary for the Outback Way. It is Edition 3. It has been modified inrelation to O/night camps based on Sid's experience last September and contained on his DVD's.

If anyone has any further comments and/or suggestions then please make them.

Regards

Colin

Hello Erich and Leslie

I have a set of Staun deflators but have found them to be a disappointment. I set them to the pressure I required, tested them several times and then went on a trip that included some sand driving. When used in real-life situations I found that the Stauns were extremely variable as to the pressure they would cut out at. I had a range of 14 psi over four tyres! I also found that sometimes they simply wouldn't cut off, and the tyre would have completely deflated had I not been keeping an eye on it.

I pulled the Stauns apart, checking them for dirt and defects, but nothing I did would fix the problem. Another thing I found was that the ring that you turn to set the pressure could also work itself loose. All-in-all, I would not recommend them. I have heard good things about the ARB deflator.

Cheers

Russ

Hi

I have attached a photo of the ARB unit (well I have tried to!). the only real drawback to the unit is that you cannot read the gauge accurately while the tyre is deflating, you have to stop read the gauge and continue. Not a real hassle though

Cheers

Greg

post-1239-0-02744900-1359861285_thumb.jp