The Outback Way

Tolley

Hello Interested Outback Way Travellers,

Attached is a first cut proposed Itinery. Comments please.

Regards

Colin

Looks good, good time to be at Alice Springs that weekend is the Finke Desert Race. Alice is where we wanted to be Queens Birthday weekend being a retired racer.

Nev & Penny

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Interested Outback Way Travellers,

Attached is a first cut proposed Itinery. Comments please.

Regards

Colin

/

Good morning Colin,if you look back on forum 4/7/12 Sandra & Clive looking for road report Great Central we replied 11/7/12 camp just west Docker River great [bUT TOILETS GROSS]Keep well away,you should have a great trip as Kay & I did it by ourselves.We are doing the Strezleki & Tannmi next year.We are currently in Cairns would like to meet you some time Neville

/

Good morning Colin,if you look back on forum 4/7/12 Sandra & Clive looking for road report Great Central we replied 11/7/12 camp just west Docker River great [bUT TOILETS GROSS]Keep well away,you should have a great trip as Kay & I did it by ourselves.We are doing the Strezleki & Tannmi next year.We are currently in Cairns would like to meet you some time Neville

Hello Neville,

Just went back to the post you mentioned. That is good info and I have cut and pasted it into my file. We had better get together in the New Year.

Regards

Colin

Hello Neville,

Just went back to the post you mentioned. That is good info and I have cut and pasted it into my file. We had better get together in the New Year.

Regards

Colin

Good morning Colin, We will be back in Cooktown after Boxing day but will be back in Cairns later in January,we are in phone book,would like tosee you both.

Neville & Kay.

Good morning Colin, We will be back in Cooktown after Boxing day but will be back in Cairns later in January,we are in phone book,would like tosee you both.

Neville & Kay.

Neville,

I think I must have had too much red wine! My message regarding my PM was not meant for you. I posted it twice as we'll! Merry Christmas, hic

Colin

Hi folks

I have been following the message trail with interest as we and my B.I.L.(a non Kedron owner) are both interested in doing the trip but a June departure is too early for us and early/mid July is more suitable. That aside, a smaller group, say 4 to 6 vans max is the preference for campsite-size issues alone.

Does anybody know if there is a structured road maintenance/grading programme or is it ad hoc? Doing the trip while road conditions are at their best would be a bonus.

Currently slumming it at Elliott Heads:what a great spot.

Cheers,Bas

That aside, a smaller group, say 4 to 6 vans max is the preference for campsite-size issues alone.

Does anybody know if there is a structured road maintenance/grading programme or is it ad hoc? Cheers,Bas

I must admit I had already thought that if the group got too big, there could be a staggered start, with a second (and even a third) group of vans leaving a day or two later. If there was a longer period in between then it would allow for those who could make it at a later time. This could be the sort of event legends are made of. :D

Hello Chris and Baz and Everyone,

The potential starters for this trip currently stands at twelve (12). We are a tad over five months before we cross the start line in Winton on 1 June 13. I suspect that by that date there will be a number less than 12 including a couple who, if they make the trip, will join us in Alice/Yulara. My gut feeling is that the group will be closer to six. Fairly early in the New Year I will call for firm nominations as there is quite a bit of planning to do.

If the group was at 12 then there is the potential to split into two packets travelling a day or two apart.

My reservations about late June and July is that the WA, VIC, Qld, NSW and ACT school holidays are on. My experience on the Cape and indeed the Kimberly is that the school holidays are to be avoided at all costs! There should be a rule that school kids on holidays are not allowed further than 200 meters from their homes :P :P

I hope everyone had a great Christmas and I wish all Koggers a great 2013!

Regards

Colin

Hi folks

I have been following the message trail with interest as we and my B.I.L.(a non Kedron owner) are both interested in doing the trip but a June departure is too early for us and early/mid July is more suitable. That aside, a smaller group, say 4 to 6 vans max is the preference for campsite-size issues alone.

Does anybody know if there is a structured road maintenance/grading programme or is it ad hoc? Doing the trip while road conditions are at their best would be a bonus.

Currently slumming it at Elliott Heads:what a great spot.

Cheers,Bas

where is KOG sense of adventure we did it by ourselves as have many others.Neville

where is KOG sense of adventure we did it by ourselves as have many others.Neville

I don't doubt that people are planning to do the trip as a part of an exercise in camaraderie (as well as seeing a unique part of the countryside). You know, as in "Let's enjoy each others company while we do a trip". There are folk who do enjoy company.

Val and I usually travel alone, and have certainly travelled much more remote areas than most people. But it could be fun to do it in the company of other Kedronners.

Chris

Neville,

i am sure you have written that with your tongue in your cheek, so to speak. As the person who started this thread by inviting others to join me along The Outback Way, i feel compelled to respond to you just in case your tongue was not in your cheek.

In three years Gayleen and I have towed our van almost 65,000 km around this beautiful country. Every km has been alone except for the company of our two poodles. We have travelled many of the remote areas and loved every minute of it.

In starting this thread I thought it would be fun to do such a journey in the company of other Koggers . It had nothing to do with my lacking a sense of adventure. I have had many adventures in my life and most have been more exciting and adventurous than driving along the Outback Way.

Also, there may be Koggers who are just starting the Kedron part of their life who would enjoy doing a remote trip in company. It would be a confidence builder especially if they have a reticent spouse. You should join us and contribute your knowledge to the group.

Incidentally, many of the twelve who have shown interest are among the more adventurous people who contribute to this web site.

We have not experienced a trip in company before. We are looking forward to the shared experience.

Kind regards

Colin

We've only had our Kedron a few months. While we feel we've mastered country and interstate traveling, we haven't yet ventured into remote areas.

Colin's invitation gives us an opportunity to take our next step in the company of experienced travellers using the same equipment. Sure, we could go it alone and work it out for ourselves, but for our first trip I'd much prefer to learn from those who know rather than by trial and error. It will still be an "adventure" for us, even more so from meeting new friends and fellow travellers. From the strong response it seems many of us feel the same way.

We've found the KOG forums invaluable learning about our new van and appreciate the good advice we've received. We're looking forward to this opportunity to meet some of you, and thank Colin for his kind invitation and helpful advice to date. As I'm still working, traveling time is precious and I really do hope we'll be able to join you.

In the meantime, we're off for a month through February around the coast from Sydney to Adelaide via the Great Ocean Road and back via the Murray Valley and Olympic Highways. Best wishes to everyone for a great year and safe travels in 2013.

Andrew

We've only had our Kedron a few months. While we feel we've mastered country and interstate traveling, we haven't yet ventured into remote areas.

Colin's invitation gives us an opportunity to take our next step in the company of experienced travellers using the same equipment. Andrew

Very well put Andrew.

I know you will have many wonderful adventures in the Kedron, and you are in good company with the many people on this forum who so selflessly share their advice and experiences here.

When you come down through SA, if you have time give us a yell and catch up. We live in the Barossa, about an hour north of Adelaide (near Mount Pleasant).

Christine

Hello Koggers,

The cover story in today's Weekend Australian Review is titled "The Great Divide". It is about the WA border. It will be of interest to those who have an interest in the Great Central Road. We will be passing through some of the areas discussed in the article.

I must admit I was not aware previously of the significant influence the Pope, the Spanish and the Portugese had on determining the border. You learn something every day.

For those who do not have the Oz I have pdf'd the article and it is attached. Happy reading.

Colin

1356739127' post='9119']

Very well put Andrew.

I know you will have many wonderful adventures in the Kedron, and you are in good company with the many people on this forum who so selflessly share their advice and experiences here.

When you come down through SA, if you have time give us a yell and catch up. We live in the Barossa, about an hour north of Adelaide (near Mount Pleasant).

Christine

Hi Chris

Thanks. I've sent you a PM on this.

Best regards

Andrew

Hi Andrew

I must advise you that if you visit Chris & Val in the Barossa be aware that Chris`s religion strictly prohibits her from partaking in any beverage containing grapes. :wacko::lol:

Cheers

Rick & Lea

1356826122' post='9127']

Hi Andrew

I must advise you that if you visit Chris & Val in the Barossa be aware that Chris`s religion strictly prohibits her from partaking in any beverage containing grapes. :wacko::lol:

Cheers

Rick & Lea

Hi Rick/Lea,

Thanks for the tip. I'm not doubting your advice, but if it's true, Chris must be a totally uncharacteristic caravanner from all those I've met to date (including Sarah and myself)! In fact, many have regarded the juice of the grape almost as a religion in itself and celebrated their faith with commendable passion and gusto.

But I'll heed your advice and make sure we also have some non-grape alternatives when we finally get to meet Chris and any other Kedronners of similar beliefs. There's always a nice malt and some fine brews in our van so I'm sure we'll get by.

Great to hear from you and I hope we get to meet and share a bevvy sometime soon.

Best regards

Andrew

Hello everyone,

This thread has been quiet in the Forum for a little while. However, do not think it has fallen in to a hole. Far from it! We have twelve interested travellers from whom I have collected direct contact details. All the action, and there is plenty of it, is happening "behind the scenes" so to speak. However, if you have an interest in joining this trip it is not too late BUT it will be too late soon. So, if you have an interest please say so now, before it is too late.

It will be a great KOG experience and a lot of fun.

Regards

Colin

Hi Colin

We too would love to join you on this adventure. We planned to do a similar trip in 2013 but was I was not keen doing it solo. We are new to the game and have only done a few trips locally. You mentioned your pets in one of the threads. We would also have our small dog with us.

We recently picked up our new TE in Sept 2012 and our tow vehicle is a 2012 LC. We also have it equipped with a number of radios including a codan. Do I need to message you off the forum for further details?

Greg and Cathy Brown

Hi Geg and Cathy,

Welcome to the travelling Outback Wayers! I have sent you a PM seeking your contact details and have provided you with my details. It is best for the admin and planning of this trip to be completed eslewhere rather than on this site.

Regards

Colin

Hi Rick/Lea,

Thanks for the tip. I'm not doubting your advice, but if it's true, Chris must be a totally uncharacteristic caravanner from all those I've met to date (including Sarah and myself)! In fact, many have regarded the juice of the grape almost as a religion in itself and celebrated their faith with commendable passion and gusto.

But I'll heed your advice and make sure we also have some non-grape alternatives when we finally get to meet Chris and any other Kedronners of similar beliefs. There's always a nice malt and some fine brews in our van so I'm sure we'll get by.

Great to hear from you and I hope we get to meet and share a bevvy sometime soon.

Best regards

Andrew

A nice and tactful response to that twisted sense of humour of Rick's :lol:

Yes, as many of the forumites will be aware, it is not a coincidence that I moved to a wine region....and it would be a crime not to partake while here, now wouldn't it!!?

When we first headed out on The Big Trip (which took four years) we had the cavity under the bed at least a third full of all the spirits and liqueurs from our house pantry....some of them are still surviving in the new home's pantry here in the Barossa!

Chris

Chris

Perhaps your batteries are sneeking under your bed at night and getting stuck into those bottles??!! :P Hence the battery prob.???

Hope you get it sorted soon.

Cheers

Rick

Hello Everyone,

I have established contact with Helen Lewis, the General Manager of the Outback Way. Helen has been very helpful in getting a glitch corrected on the Outback Way website. I have told Helen our story. We will keep in contract with each other and Helen has expressed an interest in putting us on, or connecting us to, the Outback Way Facebook site. Our thrip with what now stands at 13 vans would provide a good PR vehicle for both The Outback Way and Kedron Caravans.

The glitch on the website that has been fixed relates to the downloading of the Outback Way brochure. If you have not got one of these I recommend you download one at http://www.outbackway.org.au

While you are in the site have a look at the spare wheel cover. I will certainly get one but there may be some benefit in a bulk order as these covers are made to order and not carried in stock.

Regards

Colin

Chris

Perhaps your batteries are sneeking under your bed at night and getting stuck into those bottles??!! :P Hence the battery prob.???

Hope you get it sorted soon.

Cheers

Rick