The Outback Way

Tolley

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great photo - I always wondered what the collective noun was for a group of Kedrons' and now I know - a gaggle eh? Hmmm...now Ian would be saying the gaggle is the wives for the group. :lol:

Gee, that was when we were clean - a bit different now! I wonder if I'll ever get the van looking like that again?

Mayzee is right - this trip is a lifetime experience. We have been so fortunate to meet a great group of people. Every day we've seen amazing scenery and we've travelled roads and tracks that one would never see on the "tourist routes".

Colin and Gayleen have done a brilliant job of organising and managing the trip, with help also from Stewart.Thank you all so much for the opportunity to join you and for your friendship along the way. Sally and I are really looking forward to the next exciting phase.

Andrew

Having a brew along the Binns Track between Gemtree and Old Ambalindum Homestead in East MacDonnells NT. L to R, Maureen, John and Noel.

Great piccies Tolley.Who the hell gets up at dawn to take pictures of a sunrise?? LOL.

According to Lea a group of Keddies is a Koggle!! :rolleyes:

Looks like you all are having a ball. Stay Safe.

Cheers

Rick & Lea

Hello Everyone,

After what can only be described as a wonderful trip from Winton in Queensland we have arrived in Leonora, at the end of the Outback Way, with ten Kedrons covered in red stain and WA mud! Tonight we had a "Sunday Roast" at the Central Hotel in Leonora. Tomorrow, we disperse, sadly, as many good friendships have been made and we shall miss one another's company.

The trip has been characterised by great scenery, wonderful campfires, a depth of group repair skills, many laughs, good weather and good fortune.. The trip was approximately 2,400 km of dirt roads through remote parts of our beautiful country. We had only two punctures and given we had 80 wheels on the ground, that is a good result.

Over the next few weeks I, and perhaps others, will post some photos of the trip for all to enjoy.

Should you consider doing the Outback Way? I think our group would shout a big YES!

The attached pic was taken at dawn in a free camp area west of Warburton.

Regards to all,

Colin

Beautiful pic Colin.

We have all thanked you personally for your efforts in organising this trip for us, but I would like to thank you, Gayleen and Stuart here on the forum for the time and effort that I know went into making this one of the best trips ever and one I will remember for a long time to come.

Thanks also to all the KOG members who took part. What a wonderful group of people. We thoroughly enjoyed your company.

Below are just some of the pics from the Alice to Laverton journey.

post-1-0-52542400-1371390287_thumb.jpgpost-1-0-89017700-1371390917_thumb.jpgpost-1-0-03463200-1371390406_thumb.jpgpost-1-0-79947100-1371390496_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-38200100-1371390569_thumb.jpgpost-1-0-12745200-1371390685_thumb.jpg

Thank you Webby.

It has been a lot of fun for me doing the planning and then getting to know and becoming friends with a great bunch of people. In the days ahead both Gayleen and I will miss the company of our group.

May I also add my thanks to Stewart Tonks for the willing help he offered and delivered.

The Pic below was taken yesterday afternoon on our arrival in Leonora, the end of our trip together.

Regards

Colin

The Great Victoria Desert. This camp spot is called Desert Surf Central, an unusual name. While stopped here fellow Kedron owner, Mad Dog (KOG website name) turned up to say hello. They were travelling in company with others, not Kedrons.

A great camp spot that we enjoyed.

Regards

Colin

• 2 weeks later...

Great photos Andrew and Sally.

They will be a very real remind to you of a special trip.

Chris

Andrew and Sally, great photos. It was fun and that Gemtree camp oven roast was delicious. I was so pleased when they came around with seconds!

We are in Broome arriving yesterday. Coincidentally, Grant, Jane, Greg and Cathy arrived in Broome yesterday as well. We had a curry dinner together at Matso's brewery last night. Very pleasant. We will be here until Monday when we move to Derby from where we will make the Horizontal Waterfalls trip before heading along the Gibb RR again. All is good here and I hope all turned out well for you both in Sydney.

Regards

Colin

Hi all I'm doing the outback way in early august any tips susuggestions greatly appreciated thanks

Jayson, you could do no better than looking at the earlier sections of this thread, and the invaluable research material which Colin Tolley put together. It certainly is comprehensive information and helped our separate group when we did the trip.

Also see the camp sites detailed in the Camps Australia publication. There are numerous other spots you can just pull into for the night.

Note that fuel is easily obtained at the Roadhouses and several of them also allowed us to fill our van tanks with water.

Chris

Thank you all for your kind wishes and updates on your subsequent travels after we parted. I check the KOG site at least twice a day to read your posts and "keep the dream alive". Was it really only a couple of weeks ago?

We arrived home slightly ahead of our rushed schedule and after a fabulous trip across the Nullarbor. We settled Sally's mum's house sale yesterday and now need to spend a little quiet time at our mountain cottage this weekend.

For my part, I'm back at work, and in the words of A.B. Patterson:

"I am sitting in my dingy little office

where a stingy ray of sunshine (I wish!) struggles feebly between the [buildings] tall"

Actually, Sydney has been cold, grey and wet since we arrived home and I'm doing budgets. In my boredom, and in Tolley's words, with a bit too much time on my hands, I've penned another three verses for our poem. I've reproduced the whole opus below with the new verses added at the end. I hope you like it and once again thank you all for a fabulous experience. Please do stay in touch - we miss you all.

Best regards, Andrew

THEVAN FROM PINE RIVER with apologies to A.B. "Banjo" Paterson

There was movement amongst the Kedrons, for the word had passed around

That the trip across the continent was underway,

And had joined together in Winton - it was worth the thousand miles,

So all the cracks had gathered to the fray.

All the tried and noted vanners from places near and far

Had mustered at the caravan park overnight,

For the Kedrons love the outback where the wild bush horses are,

And the owners snuff the challenge with delight.

There was Flynnie, who made his pile when Kingston Town won the cup,

The old man with his hair as white as snow;

But few could follow behind him when his blood was fairly up --

He would go wherever the Kedron and 'Cruiser could go.

And Tolley from the North came down to lend a hand,

No better organiser ever held the reins;

For never could a corrugated road throw him while the sockies would stand,

He learnt to drive while serving on the plains.

And one was there, a Top Ender a large and rugged beast,

It was something like a camper oversized,

With a touch of pure luxury - three parts thoroughbred at least -

And such as are by outback caravaner's prized.

It looked hard and tough and wiry - just the sort that won't say die -

There was beauty in its quick impatient tread;

And it bore the badge of greatness in our bright and fiery eye,

And the proud and lofty carriage of our head.

But there was one so slight and weedy, one would doubt its power to stay,

And the old man said, "That van will never make it

For a long and tiring trip – it had better stop away,

Those deserts are far too tough for such as it."

So the ATV driver stood sad and wistful - only Mayzee stood his friend -

"I think we ought to let it come," he said;

"I warrant it'll be with us when it's wanted at the end,

For both his van and he are Aussie bred.

"It hails from Pine River, up by Brendale side,

Where the hills are twice as steep and twice as rough,

Where a Kedron wheels strike firelight from the flint stones every mile,

The van that holds its own is good enough.

And the Kedron's in the outback make their name,

Where the river runs those giant hills between;

I have seen so many caravans since I first commenced to roam,

But nowhere yet such caravans have I seen."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

So they went. They gathered at Winton where the dinosaurs once roamed,

Then raced off down the Plenty to the dirt

And Sunray gave his orders: "Boys don't forget the Dump,*

That Thetford's going to get a lot of work.

And Mayzee, you must lead them, the rest of you keep up

Drive boldly lad but keep the dust speed down

For we've miles to go to find a camp where we can circle up

And make a fire that all can sit around.

So, they went into the desert, across rivers, down Binns Track

Where the best and boldest Kedrons find their place

And only 'Cruisers haul them, reliable to the end

No place for Nissans in this rugged space.

Then they halted for a moment after Barney threw a shoe

The widgie hunting barely missed a beat

What a great bunch of talent - is there nothing Nev can't do?

Both he and Evo reveled at each feat.

Then they finally crossed the border with their sides all red with mud

For the last time hit the tar and headed south

They met at Leonora for a final meal at pub

Then they slowly drifted off to other parts.

And down by old Pine River where the action all began

The KOGGERS keep in touch with messages penn-ed

New friendships made,new places seen, the memories abound

All thanks to Tolley, and his vision splendid.

*Sally has a great photo of the Kedron "group dump" at Boulia - I'll post in the next few days!

Well done Andrew and others who contributed to this "ballad". It sums up the great adventure we all had across the Great Central Road. Looking at our photos from the trip still brings a smile to my face. We are all so fortunate to bea part of this big "Kedron family".

Travel safe wherever you are going. We are enjoying the beautiful weather at Cape Keraudren and just can't bring ourselves to leave.