Tolley

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi,

No, you have to stop letting the air out when you see the level you want on the gauge. But as I said earlier, the gauge only reads accurately when you stop letting out the air.

I am happy for you to give mine a try before you decide to buy one. I believe there might be a short trip to Standown Park, if you are going to that I might see you there.

Cheers

Greg

Thanks for the offer Greg but we will be heading south from 1st March. We thought there was a deflating system that deflated all tyres simultaneously to a preset pressure. Maybe that is the Straun one which seems to be less than useful! :unsure:

So I guess we will just go with the Bushranger compressor which we have. Just trying to be proactive and not hold up the rest of the convoy. But it sounds like they will all be in the same boat. ;)

Hope you enjoy Standown Park.

I have a deflator. It is called the "Gumtreetwig". You can get them anywhere. Works a treat. When you use them on your tyre valve it makes a hissing noise so you know it is working. They cost next to nothing..........only joking

Colin

I have a deflator. It is called the "Gumtreetwig". You can get them anywhere. Works a treat. When you use them on your tyre valve it makes a hissing noise so you know it is working. They cost next to nothing..........only joking

Colin

Hi,

Actually for many years I just used a match, but I gave up smoking about 10 years ago... so that is why I bought the ARB deflator, but there is definitely no magic to it and the match would work just as well!

Cheers

Greg

Thanks Greg,

I tried deflators.....cannot remember the brand......but decided it was just as easy to deflate manually. The ARB pressure gaugeI have has a little knob on it designed for depressing the tyre valve. So, I do't need a match or a gumtreetwig.

Standown Park. Now there is a nice place. They have done a great job there. Being an old vet I feel right at home there. Have a great time.

Regards

Hi All,

I agree the Staun Deflators are not ideal, as has been said they don't maintain good calibration. I've given up on them and now have the ARB EZ Deflator as shown in the pick in a previous post. On the plus side (could be a negative if not re-seated properly) with the ARB unit you remove the valve from the valve stem so deflation is fast flow, no restrictions. You get used to timing the sliding of the deflation valve to check the pressure, it's way faster than the Stauns even though you have to move from wheel to wheel.

Enjoy the trip BTW, would have joined in but we are on the opposite end of the run. We will probably dash across the Great Central Road ourselves early May en route to the our winter break in Queensland, so I'll be sure to post any last minute issues you might encounter.

John

Hello John,

If you come across the GCR in early May (we will be mid June), I am sure everone will be interested in your reports on road conditions and anything else of interest.

Regards

Colin

Hello Everyone,

Attached is a little Outback Way Handy Info document. It has been put together for our travelling group but I thought it might be useful for others planning to do the trip this year.

Regards

Colin

Hello Everyone,

Here is another little document that might be useful for those contemplating travelling the Outback Way at some time into the future. It has been created for use by our Outback Way group but others might find it useful especially if they are travelling east to west.

Regards

Colin

Those of you who nuy or read the magazine "On The Road" will be aware there is a two part series on travelling from Winton across to Laverton, with the first part published last month and the second has just come out in this month's edition. It is worth a read.

Chris

Hello Everyone,

Have any Koggers stayed at the Laverton CP? If so, would you tell us of your impressions? We are planning on having our last night together as a an Outback Way group in Laverton.

And what about the only pub in town, the Desert Inn? Has anyone eaten there? Would it be any good for a last night dinner and drinks?

Regards

Colin

Thanks Jacky Jacky,

It sure does help. Sound basic but OK for a night or two. Gravel and not grass but, eh!, its in the b*&&#y desert in the middle of no where!

Regards

Colin

Hello Everyone,

Have any Koggers stayed at the Laverton CP? If so, would you tell us of your impressions? We are planning on having our last night together as a an Outback Way group in Laverton.

And what about the only pub in town, the Desert Inn? Has anyone eaten there? Would it be any good for a last night dinner and drinks?

Regards

Colin

We stayed there 1 night in 2010, the CP is small and tight and Laverton is a place I will bypass except possibly calling in for a fuel top up if we cross the GCR in early May.

Cheers

John

I have just been talking to my daughter who spent a few years in that part of WA and her advice was that any sane person would move right on past Laverton. She said they have a raft of social problems there...

So it could be best to consider an alternative to staying there for too long.

Chris

Regards

Colin

Hello Colin

Whilst I have never stayed anywhere in Laverton, I did work in the area a lot and was always told to avoid staying overnight in Laverton like the plague. I have been into the town several times and I have heard of (and seen) some of the social "disquiet" in the town. It is only another 123 Km of good bitumen road to get to Leonora, where there is a pleasant little caravan park and much cheaper fuel. I know what I would do.

Cheers

Russ

Hi Colin,

We stayed in a unit in that park a number of years ago, thought we might get stuck there as the GCR was very wet, closed to all traffic. Thought we might get stuck there waiting for the road to re-open, thankfully after chasing all around town looking for answers the road did re-open. Thank goodness, the park was small and untidy, the pub had no windows, the supermarket was ordinary, nothing much going for this stopover as I recall. By the sounds of it from Chris and Russ, not much has changed for the better.

We won't be stopping there, not even for fuel. We will stop at either Leonora or one of the free camps in that area and fuel up there, I'm told Leonora fuel is a bit cheaper when we pass through in late May.

Russ' option sounds appealing to me smile.gif

Cheers

John

Hello everyone,

Sorry for being missing in action over the past few days but, believe me, I have been up to my armpits in business crocodiles and, what is worse, lawyers!

Yep, reading the comments re Laverton, I think we should move onto Leonora. Give me a day and I will get to to our group about the change.

Back to the crocodiles!

Regards

Colin

Hello everyone,

Sorry for being missing in action over the past few days but, believe me, I have been up to my armpits in business crocodiles and, what is worse, lawyers!

Yep, reading the comments re Laverton, I think we should move onto Leonora. Give me a day and I will get to to our group about the change.

Back to the crocodiles!

Regards

Colin

That is a good move.

If you wanted to go a little further 60km or so Menzies has a nice new CP but only a very small pub next door and little else.

Re: fuel Leonora has a Coles Express fuel outlet so a good move could be for those Flybuys users is to do 2 shops at Coles in Alice after selecting to use some Flybuys points to get an extra 10c discount on top of the checkout discount, use 1 in Alice and 1 in Leonora.

For those new to WA use Fuelwatch to checkout daily fuel prices in main centres which are frozen all day.

A word of caution for the GCR ensure you checkout rainfall in the Docker river area before leaving Alice & Uluru as when when arrived in the the Docker River area in late May 2010 travelling East there had been a lot of rain and 100km or so of road from Docker was a quagmire towards Uluru. There were large corrugations filled with mud so what looked like a reasonable road on the surface was a mud bath and was not for the faint hearted.

It took us 3 hours in a truck wash in Alice to clean most of the mud off the car and van.

If there has not been any rain the road could be good apart from corrugations if not recently graded.

Have a safe trip

John

Hi Zolle (John),

Thanks for those tips, we will be sure to follow your advice re fuel and rain as we head east late May. Am I right in saying you will pave the way for us all earlier in May? Enjoy the journey and thanks again.

John

Am I right in saying you will pave the way for us all earlier in May?.

John

Not will but might as with us nothing is certain until we do it and what route we take is a day to day choice.

What we might do is a cross country sprint from Cape Leeuwin to Cape York via 1 of 3 roads from WA, GCR, Anne Beadle or Wapet Road/Gary Junction all depending on the weather and someone who may say no.

Have fun

John